Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2001, 11:27 PM   #1
Subotai
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What is the smallest successful party to make it through IWD? I'm assuming some people have made it through with 4, but anyone do it with less? No halfling jokes please!

Subotai, thief and archer
Subotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:01 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I think there's probably some who have done it solo, Subotai. It would have to be some combo of Fighter/Thief/Mage or Fighter/Cleric/Mage, probably.

Cheers,

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 02:52 AM   #3
obelix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I did Icewind Dale solo just yesterday. I had a male fighter with bow and ax. It takes a lot of saving and resting, the trip took about 5000 days. Absolutely essential were the boots of speed you find in the severed hand on a female elven warrior, so you can do some nice hit and run. In the serpent temple you find an axe I call "boomerang-axe" 1w6+2 which can be thrown (no more ammo probs). You have to clear rooms with ranged weapons before you enter so traps just hurt you, if you are unable to move you just wait until the spell stops working. You will find that magicians have some trouble concentrating when you throw axes at their heads.
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 07:34 PM   #4
shawnme
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have 4 cariters it works good. I started off with 2 I hade know problems.

------------------
shawn harden
shawnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 07:45 PM   #5
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Hail Obelix. The 'Throwing Axe +2' is a real gem, because it uses the axe proficiency so you don't have to worry about developing a skill with another weapon type.

I'm on four characters at the moment. Having just finished IWD I thought I'd better start it with less people this time as level limits can live up to their name - limited I mean - if you have to share the xp around six people.

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 01:46 AM   #6
obelix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings Lord Brass,

you would yust love the throwing axe with 5 prof.points on axes. As human fighter you can put only three points on bows, but 5 on axes. The screen keeps constantly shaking from critical hits.
A word about experience: You reach level 30 just before completing IWD, so that girl (I said male in my first post, I wanted to say human, sorry about my english) is a natural desaster. You should see her wielding Jondrils? Axe, it's amazing (though not for the opponent).
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 08:07 PM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Outstanding! Yes, I must admit Obelix, that I never reached a level sufficient to get five points in axes due to having too many people to share the points about with. Mind you that's really my fault for not managing my proficiencies better. I had a bard that reached level 22, which is nice.

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:53 PM   #8
Brett
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What about a mage? pure solo, no special school of magick arts. Ive made it to the vale of shadows so far. and wow it has been a real fun trip..i already finished the game with a five char party(2 of which i really didnt need,monster blockers..hehe). my only concern is when he gets to a lord fiend that has 100 percent imunity to magic...however, there is a mage spell(or two?) that magically creates a sword.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 08:29 PM   #9
Demarco
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I never knew that experience was split between everyone...hmm...I should have gone with 4 instead of 5...thanks for the tip
Demarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 08:33 PM   #10
SecretMaster
Apophis

My only game with the smallest party was 5. Pretty sad, compared to u guys. It's just so much harder to the BG series in my opinon. I'd have to train my guys 24/7 just to be playin good as u guys. Welcome Obelix, and great job, all of u for playin that well.

------------------
Tis your lives to waste
-Drizzt do Urden
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote