Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

HAHAHA!! YEAH!!!!

Quote:
Lawyer accused of violating legal ethics and turning courtroom "into a circus"

Anti-videogame campaigner Jack Thompson has appeared in court to defend his right to practice law in Alabama, following accusations that he violated legal ethics ahead of a civil case against companies involved in creating and selling Grand Theft Auto.

Thompson is representing the families of two police officers and a dispatcher who were murdered by 18 year old Devin Moore in June 2003. In a lawsuit filed against Sony, Take-Two, Rockstar, Wal-Mart and GameStop, Thompson claims that Grand Theft Auto trained Moore to become a killer.

But now law firm Blank Rome has filed a motion to have Thompson taken off the case and to have his legal license revoked. The firm alleges that Thompson has attacked and threatened their lawyers in dozens of press releases which also accused Blank Rome of conspiracy.

"He can't proceed with the civility the rules require. All lawyers have to conduct themselves with honesty, integrity and civility. This isn't a street fight," said Blank Rome's Jim Smith.

"He's going to turn the courtroom into a circus and we can't have it."

In response, Thompson accused the law firm of attempting to run a smear campaign against him, telling Judge James Moore: "I didn't start this food fight. They started it and I have a right to respond because, believe it or not, I have a life outside of this case."

When Judge Moore asked Thompson to justify some of the statements made in his press releases, he replied: "I'm not pretending I'm not a nice guy. I'm not pretending I don't have a temper."

"Why did you do this?" Moore asked Thompson, pointing to a huge stack of press releases and letters submitted by Blank Rome as evidence of Thompson's legal violations.

"You said after the criminal trial to 'have at it'," Thompson said. The judge had imposed a gag order on lawyers until Devin Moore's trial was over.

"Your 'have at it' and my 'have at it' are not the same," the judge replied.

Judge Moore has taken the motion to revoke Thompson's license under advisement, and is also considering a motion to have the entire suit dismissed on the grounds that the First Amendment, which provides for freedom of speech, applies to videogames. The defendants' laywers also claim that Devin Moore's actions could not have been foreseen.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Bwahahahahaha! PWNED!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
The defendants' laywers also claim that Devin Moore's actions could not have been foreseen.

This is so true. He would have grown up to be the perfect Lawyer, who knows, even the president some day.

BUT....That freakin' violent video game upset the kilter, and therby allowed an illuisional state to become reality. Now we have good Lawyers going down because of some lame arsed video game that should have never been released to start with.

Just wondering....How much has that judge been paid...from under the table that is....

I guess business as usual! What happened to that rapper dude that spoke of cop killing?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Ha! Ha! Ha! @ Jack Thomsons dilemna. Karma baby!

Quote:
I guess business as usual! What happened to that rapper dude that spoke of cop killing?
Who? Ice-T?

Ice-T stars in a popular TV crime drama, playing a cop. Law & Order SVU, one of my favorite shows.

And I always thought that song was about killing a cop who was a brutal killer as an act of revenge, not about killing cops with malice or at random.
Link to lyrics WARNING Strong Language Whatever- its a hardcore freaking song whatever the lyrics mean. Considering how corrupt and depraved it turns out the LAPD was back in the 80s & 90s the song doesn't suprise me one bit.

I remember listening to a Bodycount song the day the L.A. riots erupted. The sky in West from my Denver abode was indeed blood red that night.

[ 11-08-2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 11-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Anybody hear about the Jack Thompson v Penny Arcade stuff going on last month?

The web comic of www.penny-arcade.com , a video-game themed web comic nearly ran into legal problems, but Thompson got his in the end. Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, aka "Tycho" and "Gabe" were threatened with lawsuits after "Gabe" sent Thompson an email.

Seems that Thompson proposed someone make a game about a father that went crazy after his son killed himself because of video games, and went on a killing spree at Gamestop, video game HQ, etc. Thompson made a remark that said if people made the game, he'd donate $10,000 to a charity.

"Gabe"s email pointed out that they, every year, sponsored a banquet for video gamers to donate money to charity, and raised I think in the $100,000 range...

Then someone made a mod for a game based upon Thompson's idea...and he never ponied up the ten thousand smackaroos...and Penny Arcade promptly donated $10,000 of their own money to charity.

Many nasty phone calls to Penny Arcade from Thompson throughout the ordeal.

[ 11-08-2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #6
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Yep, they also wrote out the check in his name, that's what really ticked him off. They did a comic about it here.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 AM   #7
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Yeah...

Reminds me of a t-shirt another web comic is selling...

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

And I thought this story was about Jack and Russell Crowe out on the piss again Oliver Reed style [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] erm carry on

[ 11-09-2005, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, at least he can always become a stand-up comedian.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I heard a funny saying on a movie I had to watch for Spanish class. The movie is "Lengua de las mariposas", (set in Spain in 1931), and the joke was

"If there's a Final Judgement, all the rich people will bring thier lawyers."