Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm a little bit miffed that souls have no apparent commercial value in Oblivion. Whilst the souls in Morrowind were grossly over-valued, it just doesn't seem right that Beth do a complete backflip and make them worthless in Oblivion. It was a nice little side venture to offload a few extra souls and make a buck here and there, but now it seems that the only value souls have is ammo for enchanted items (which makes them absolutely useless for some characters.)

Not only have they changed the values, but they've also done away with names of the captured souls and replaced them all with petty, lesser, common etc. I used to enjoy having a soul collection with one of each type of creature on Vvardenfell. Again, it was a nice little subquest to keep in mind at high levels when everything else gets boring. Looks like i can't do that in Oblivion.

And finally, why is there only two different graphic icons for the entire range of soulgems (5 gem types excluding black, filled or unfilled, which makes 10 gem types to try and differentiate between) and why is there no common bond between gems with the same icons? The interface they've given us is bad enough as it is. Why make it harder for players to use by not having a range of standard icons?

*Edit: I forgot to add that they've removed the enchant skill. Why?! [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Anyways, i ramble. My question: I haven't been able to find a list of creature and soul types for Oblivion yet. Such a list would make my Oblivion game a little easier to deal with until i've a better understanding of which creatures have which souls. Does anyone know of a list? Thanks in advance.

[ 04-29-2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Not really sure here, but i'd say in this case the Dremora lords inside the Oblivion gates have the highest value re enchantments, i guess you need the best gems for them. There are no Golden Saints or Ascended Sleepers in this game, so i can't be too far off. Has anyone ever bothered trying to trap the soul of a vampire btw ?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What is a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
What is a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper?
It's a monster in Morrowind. It got the highest soul value.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

They're enemies from Morrowind...Golden Saints are the highest daedra from Azura's realm, and Ascended Sleepers are the acolytes of Dagoth Ur.

Seems like I looked up soultrapping on wikipedia the other day...all I remember now is that the Grand level of souls are fairly limited...

I just looked it up, and they include: Kalperklan Troll, Xivilai, Minotaur Lord, Gloom Wraith, Undead Akaviri Soldier, Goblin Warlord, Lich.

Says that vampires just require a black soul gem.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

A Golden Saint was a fom of female-looking Daedra clad in golden armor, usually brandishing Elass, Ebony and sometimes even Daedric weapons. By order of worth, their soul was number 5 of the souls that are worth the most. An Ascended Sleeper is... Imagine a Mind Flayer, that's how they look. Their souls are number 4. The top three souls belong to unique creatures.
How do I enchant something with a constant effect in this game? What do I need?
Old 04-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Not really sure here, but i'd say in this case the Dremora lords inside the Oblivion gates have the highest value re enchantments, i guess you need the best gems for them.
Dremora require black soul gems, as they are NPCs.

Quote:
A Golden Saint was a fom of female-looking Daedra clad in golden armor, usually brandishing Elass, Ebony and sometimes even Daedric weapons. By order of worth, their soul was number 5 of the souls that are worth the most. An Ascended Sleeper is... Imagine a Mind Flayer, that's how they look. Their souls are number 4. The top three souls belong to unique creatures.
Given the fact that Golden Saints and Ascended Sleepers both had soul worth 400 points how exactly can you rank one above the other in terms of what thier soul is worth?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

The GSG with a Golden Saint is worth less than a GSG with an AS. Worth, as in gold. And in charges, I think AS has 60 or so more.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
Seraph
Quintesson

If that is true for you then you must be using a mod. Both a golden saint and an Ascended Sleeper have a soul worth 400 points. Their souls are exactly the same as far as enchanting goes.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:

*Edit: I forgot to add that they've removed the enchant skill. Why?! [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
My guess is that they realised that there was no way to have enchant be a viable skill while still limiting people's ability to make scads of overpowered equipment. In Morrowind, enchanting an item required either paying a huge amount for someone to do it for you even when you had your own soul gem, or boosting your intelligence to ridiculous levels so that your enchant attempt wouldn't inevitably fail. So enchant was essentially useless and there was no way to increase it except through recharging with soul gems or the very small increases that you got from items recharging by themselves. So you have a skill that you can't improve through practice, unlike all other skills, and that even if you have it maxed you still can't really use it properly without boosting intelligence.