Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2000, 10:57 AM   #1
TDZHON

I have seen a number of questions about dual class. The main one is what combos are valid.

I finally found a refrence in the handbook - "A combination may be dual-classed if it is also a multi-class option."

This means you can be a Ranger/Cleric and use a kit, but you cannot be a Paladin/Monk. I tested this to make sure, a tedious process since you need 16 or more in your primary reqs of the previous class.

Old 01-10-2001, 09:25 PM   #2
Curdis

Glorick,

A common puzzle to be sure. I have experimented and along with the 'circumstantial' evidence of the exp cap remover file I humbly submit that these are the only dual class combinations possible in BGII.
NOTE:- 1/The first class may be a kit, the second CANNOT.
2/The classes as listed are interchangeable. FIGHTER_MAGE, FIGHTER_CLERIC, FIGHTER_THIEF, MAGE_THIEF, CLERIC_MAGE, CLERIC_THIEF, FIGHTER_DRUID, and CLERIC_RANGER.

This includes all the double multi-classes listed in the book. Special cases and noted exceptions would be informative - Curdis

Old 01-10-2001, 09:47 PM   #3
G.W.

Where does this leave the ranger thief?

IN addition, there's supposed to be a druid-mage option available for half-elves.

Old 01-11-2001, 08:42 PM   #4
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Ok, I don't know why they didn't say anything about the Ranger/Thief, but I am using that myself. Makes for a pretty decent character overall. A little of clerical (ok, druidical for healing spells) and has the backstab of the thief with the fighter's strength. As a matter of a fact, with the Ranger, I could ONLY dual into a thief or a cleric (I really wanted MAGE dam*it). Plus, I would like to add, with the thief, if you can hold off on stealth until you get your level above the Ranger, you can put all your points into everything but stealth because the Ranger has NATURAL stealth. Just a point aside to let you know that the Ranger is more geared towards becoming a thief than most classes.
Old 01-12-2001, 12:40 AM   #5
Curdis

Thanks Tobin and G.W.

Ranger Thief isn't listed in the 2nd Edition Players Handbook (or the exp cap remover list). But as you are doing it must be a goer. Druid Mage.. I'll check it out. I tried to be a Druid Theif and it only allowed Fighter as a Dual class choice but I may not have had the intelligence. - Curdis

Old 01-12-2001, 03:49 AM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I never read the experience cap remover list, but it appears to work with the cap removed. My Ranger/Thief is 9th level Ranger and 17th level thief. OMG, you should see the backstabs.
Old 01-12-2001, 07:18 PM   #7
Curdis

Tobbin,

I bet the backstab rocks. I just tried the Druid/Mage combo and it is not allowed. I realize that this is circumstantial evidence only (from the manual) but on page 34 it says "Characters not allowed dual-class status include paladins, rangers, and druids". But I know Fighter/Druid and Ranger/Cleric is possible and now Ranger/Thief. I have explicitly tried and ruled out Druid/Mage, Druid/Thief. So the only outstanding possibility is Ranger/Mage any persons know of this combo? I would like to point out that the advice on page 34 is obviously wrong regarding both druids and rangers and the table for multiclass combos (page 235) is NOT a good guide to what can be dual classed (ie Druid/Mage is NOT possible, Ranger/Thief is not listed). I will test Ranger/Mage tonight sounds good for a scout and kill type character with stalker or poss archer kit. - Curdis.

Old 01-13-2001, 12:31 AM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

As to your comment about the manual, I tend to play first and then worry about the rules later. LOL. I had a Ranger from BGI so I just kept him going in BGII. Well, like I was saying, I've always wanted an alchemist kinda Ranger. Maybe not a true mage class, but with some kind of regular spell ability. I mean, to class the Ranger as a Druid (their spells) totally bites. Besides, having magic missile woulda been cool (I think this is why they changed the rules from allowing a Ranger to have mage spells). If anyone can LEGALLY dual class from a Ranger into a mage, please let me know what stats you used and how you did it. Would really love to play this class without the possibility of crashing the game.
Old 01-15-2001, 09:20 PM   #9
Curdis

Tobbin,

How did you dual a Ranger to theif? I tested Ranger/Mage and could only get Ranger/Cleric AND I had 18's in everything important (Dex/Wis/Int). Perhaps you are talking about a kit? - Curdis

Old 01-16-2001, 02:38 AM   #10
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Hold up a minute, you are saying that you have a Ranger/Mage. How the hell did you do that? What are your stats. OMG, I am slobbering over here trying to get a Ranger/Mage, Well, I don't know if it matters, but I have 20 str and 20 dex as well as 18 int. I really don't know if this matters either, but I have both bonus CD's added on without any patches of any kind. I did buy the Collector's edition, but I am not sure which version it is. Do they have more than one version? Like I was saying, I didn't actively try to go thief, cause I really wanted mage. I just played as the cleric til I got fed up with it. Then I tried thief cause I remembered how much in Torment that I was able to solo some areas as a thief. It didn't work when I met up with Torgil or whatever his name is (big troll) in the de'Arnise keep. He still saw me coming before I got there. I couldn't backstab him, but his goons were another story. Other than that, I really don't know.