Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #1
Ilythiiri
The Magister

I really want to role-play a ninja, how do I go about doing it?
Like taking which class(es), race and weapon(s)...etc.

Thanks to all in advance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There are three options:

(1) Monk. Advantages: Excels at unarmed combat with high damage at high levels, great saves and spell resistance, stealth capabilities, large number of automatic unarmed combat feats. Disadvantages: Weak at low levels, requires a lot of stat points, can not wear armor.

(2) Rogue. Advantages: VERY stealthy, ability to disarm traps and pick locks, can use magic items, sneak attack damage(!), very high number of skill points. Disdvantages: low hit points, limited feats

(3) Fighter. Advantages: Huge number of feats available, high hit points, can wear all armor types, large number of martial weapon skills. Disadvantages: Not really a true ninja type class, low skill points.

For a true ninja build I would suggest either option (1) or (2). I would stick with a human for the Monk build and an elf for the rogue build. Other folks will suggest a Dwarf as a monk possibility, but somehow that doesn't fit my image of a monk, let alone a ninja.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

I would go for either a Monk/Rogue or a Fighter/Rogue multiclass. The M/R one if you want to fight mainly unarmed and with some abilities like Stunnig Fists, or the F/R one if you're more into weapons. I don't see either of the three classes, Fighter, Rogue and Monk as a ninja type in themselves. Mixed together on the other hand...
Old 10-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #4
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Lets see.... classic ninja profile.

an assasin.
no real armor.
VERY high stealth.
high dex.
moderate fist and feet action. (unarmed attack)
substantial use of weapons in preferance over unarmed attack. particularly exotic melee (katana, kukri, kama) and throwing weapons (i.e. stun darts).
strong use of potions and traps.

This for the most part suggests a rogue/assasin class structure with at least one level as a shadow dancer (for hide in plain sight i.e. VERY high stealth). I'd forget about unarmed attack and stick with exotic weapon use. Place plenty of points in "use magic item" to be able to use adventurer robes and greater adventurer robes for their damage soaking ability. For advanced class structure appropriate to NWN's or the upcoming module - consider 13 levels of rogue - at level 10 select improved evasion and at level 13 select crippling strike. Race-wise I'd say an elf but for description rename to Drow instead (and make skin color blue-ish). Neutral Evil (i.e. "I'm only the instrument of my employer/master, your death is only because of them.").
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

YIKES!!!

Galvaton's gonna shoot me! I freaked when I saw this avatar!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Be careful Larry ..... I'm PACKIN' !!!!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:34 PM   #7
Ilythiiri
The Magister

thanks for all those advice,
hmm.. what about single-wield or dual-wield?
i would love to dual-wield (more attacks/damage) but ninjas seem to single-wield without shield.
Would i suffer much with only single wield and not carrying a shield?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Ilythiiri
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
Lets see.... classic ninja profile.

an assasin.
no real armor.
VERY high stealth.
high dex.
moderate fist and feet action. (unarmed attack)
substantial use of weapons in preferance over unarmed attack. particularly exotic melee (katana, kukri, kama) and throwing weapons (i.e. stun darts).
strong use of potions and traps.

This for the most part suggests a rogue/assasin class structure with at least one level as a shadow dancer (for hide in plain sight i.e. VERY high stealth). I'd forget about unarmed attack and stick with exotic weapon use. Place plenty of points in "use magic item" to be able to use adventurer robes and greater adventurer robes for their damage soaking ability. For advanced class structure appropriate to NWN's or the upcoming module - consider 13 levels of rogue - at level 10 select improved evasion and at level 13 select crippling strike. Race-wise I'd say an elf but for description rename to Drow instead (and make skin color blue-ish). Neutral Evil (i.e. "I'm only the instrument of my employer/master, your death is only because of them.").
wow.. sounds powerful.. i'll try that... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2003, 12:22 AM   #9
ScottG
Drow Warrior

you are welcome!

single wield, not because of any roleplaying thing but because you would have to spend to many feats on removing detriments to hit (i.e. ambidexterity, two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting) - and for this character you really only one to hit once "and make it count" (i.e. wax 'em). Remember that at level 13 you have 6d6 of sneak attack (+ you reg. damage for the weapon and any extra damage the weapon has + str. modifier damage your character has) AND with the hide in plain sight feature from the Shadow Dancer level you can sneak attack again and again (see the post I started about hide in plain sight for details).

if in nwn's then consider the cutting star kukri (1d6 fire damage and 25% blindness for 3 rounds) or Divine Fury katana (1d6 electrical and 50% stun for 2 rounds) - of course for either you will need the feat exotic weapons.

If you don't want to spend the feat on exotic weapons there are some REALLY nice short swords and several nice daggers. (for short sword sake just think your using a ninja-to style shortsword.)

You can puruse the items at the link below (notice several of the really nice shortswords are in SOU and not in NWN's interestingly).

http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwint...hortswords.php

[ 10-22-2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Duel vs single, depends on if your making your own gear for which to go for.

if your making your own gear, then duel wield since 2 weapons can hold twice the enchantment of one weapon.

If your using premade non uber gear, then the choice might still be for duel wield if you want to focus on defence - since as a rogue, you would want to wear the monk boots (thereby not having haste from boots of speed) and you would want to wear the wizards robe (dmg resistance), that leaves just the offhand for a haste weapon.

If you want greater offense however using premade gear, then you would want to go for a two handed weapon with the various feats that make it powerful.

As for the class, id go with a 19 monk 1 rogue (save up the points from the monks leveling and dump into rogue skills at level 20).
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote