Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2002, 09:06 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay, I got two parties going now. My main character in the second one is a half-elf Cleric/Mage. I decided to go almost full brawn with little need for brain as I plan on making a party of the following:

Ajantis
Minsc
Kahlid
Kivan
Coran
Me

* I'll provide the healing and power while the others put a hurtin' on whomever
stands in our way. Of course I realize this will mean I'll have to have a boat load of potions, but whose counting anyway???

* So, if I go and get Dynaheir before I talk to Minsc will she refuse to come
with me? If so and I go to get Minsc, will he shun me or join me? If he decides to join me will he demand I go look for Dynaheir and since I have to
make the effort what happens when we get there and there is no Dynaheir?

In addition, if Dynaheir should join my party without Minsc and, alas, along the way she should die (I really do like Dynaheir; she is actually my favorite Nage but I'm trying new ideas here) and I remove her and then go talk to Minsc, does anyone know what he says or does? Thanks ahead of time.

[ 08-18-2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:20 PM   #2
Wilbur
Zhentarim Guard

Get Minsc. Get Dyanheir. Let Dyanheir join. Kill Dyanheir. Remove Dyanheir while dead from the party. Problem solved.
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 10:41 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

After re-reading my original post I can see where my intent of inquiry was not very clear. Let me put it another way. I am in the process of making an all fighter group with the exception of my PC who is a half-elf cleric/mage. In the process of putting my party together I made the mistake of getting Kivan too early. This is who I have so far: Me, Kahlid, Ajantis, Kivan, and Imoen. If I didn't get Kivan I would have had two slots where I could have picked up both Minsc and Dynaheir and *sob* somewhere along the return journey the lass would have died. But due to the fact I have 5 and I'll need Imoen for some time before I can pick up Coran, I am unable to do the get-Minsc-go-to-the-fortress-pick-up-Dynaheir-she-then-dies scenario.

Again, I don't want to have to dismiss Imoen. So, if I go to the fortress first and get Dynaheir but *somehow* she is *lost* due to an early death and THEN I go to Minsc, what will he do? A) Will he still want to join if I reform the party without Dynaheir who is dead? B) Will he agree to join but he'll insist that we search for Dynaheir even though she is already dead and dropped from the party? (and I am forced to go because if not in 10 days Minsc goes bonkers) And what happens when we get there and Dynaheir is nowhere to be found? C) Will Minsc still be in Nashkel if Dynaheir dies before I initially talk to him?

Sorry for all the convoluted questioning but I did this to myself by adding Kivan earlier.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
Wilbur
Zhentarim Guard

What do you need imoen for?
Old 08-19-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Traps in Naskel, Firewine Ruins, and Ulcaster. Also, lockpicking is much better than bashing. Even with Minsc's 18/93 strength he only opens 50% (at best)of anything he attempts.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:33 PM   #6
Wilbur
Zhentarim Guard

k. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of an all fighter party, especially since you can find traps as a cleric but to each his own. I have no idea then. If no one else does, make an archive save and find out, the gnolls arent exactly miniature sarevoks.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:46 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

If Dynaheir is dead when you first recruit Minsc, he somehow knows all about it, and his sorrow is boundless....but he'll join you anyway. Make a backup Save before you try this, of course.

P.S. As I recall, Coran isn't very sharp on Traps. You do know that you can dismiss people and recruit them again, right? Imoen is the best example of this: I don't think she'll EVER desert you, unless your Rep. is absolutely in the toilet.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:22 PM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think I have the answer to your problem.

Pick up Minsc first and go search for Dynaheir.
When you rescue Dynaheir, send Imoen down into the hole to take her place.
Then wait patiently for the next gnoll attack and send Dynaheir into melee.
After she dies, retrieve Imoen from the hole and continue your adventure.

Granted, I'm not sure what Minsc's reaction will be when Dynaheir dies, but it may be worth a shot....and you're guaranteed NOT to lose Imoen.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:30 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Cerek, in response to Dynaheir death Minsc will go berserk and kill many things. best advice is to stand back from the poor guy until it where's off. But why get rid of Dynaheir anyways? She's the best good aligned mage in the game.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:04 AM   #10
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree 100%, firestormalpha, I wouldn't even consider using any other mage myself.

But it is not I who wants to be rid of Dynaheir, it is Albromor.

AAMOF, I have just started my second trip through Baldur's Gate and my party just reached Nashkell this morning. In my first game, I hadn't read any "walkthroughs" and didn't know who Minsc was...when I refused to help "rescue his witch", he attacked and I killed him. Still managed to get Dynaheir later, but this time through I'm gonna make sure I do it right and bring Minsc along too.