Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2001, 04:57 AM   #1
TeKNiKaLL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've played Bg1, ToSC, Planescape Torment, And Baldurs Gate2.. i really really love these games but there is still one thing i just can't fully understand..

The damage weapons do.. I know that in 2d4 the D stands for dice but there it ends.. i always use weapons with high numbers Like 2D4 or 1d10 but maybe its stupid to do this.. i've read the manual etc but since im not english it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. plus the fact that it isn't to clearly explained. I can manage myself in the english language but just don't understand THAT explanation.

So my question, can some1 explain the damage numbers in plain english ? Maybe use some sort of example..

Thanx a lot..

------------------
Real power, its never having to say you're sorry.
Old 06-18-2001, 05:05 AM   #2
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

You're right - the "d" is dice. The number after the d is essentially the number of sides on the die (ie d10, is 10 sided, numbered 1-10). The number before is the number of dice to be rolled. Hence 2d4 gives a number from 2-8 etc.
I think the only significant point about this is with long swords vs bastard swords (1d8 vs 2d4) - the d8 gives equal distribution of results, 2d4 gives lower chance of max damage, but slightly higher average... (there are probably other examples of this also, but can't think of any)
Old 06-18-2001, 05:07 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Not a dumb question at all
Basically you do the right thing when choosing the weapon with the highest number.
You know what hitpoints are right? Well, if a sword does 1d10 damage, it means that you will do 1 to 10 hitpoints damage to your opponent, based on which number you "roll" (in real D&D, they actually roll a ten-sided die and the number you throw is the number of damage you do.) Now, 2d4 means, that you will roll two dice of four sides each. The number you throw is the number of hitpoints you drain from the opponent. In game terms, this means that when you are using a sword of 1d10 it is better than using a sword of 1d8.
Now, when a weapon is enchanted (for example a long sword +3) this means that you do 1d8 +3 damage. so your enemy loses 4(1+3) to 11 (8+3) hitpoints.
A critical hit means that you do double the maximum damage.

Hmmm I hope I haven't made any mistakes in this explanation, I'm no expert myself

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-18-2001, 05:11 AM   #4
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Is that right about criticals? I was under the impression that is was double _rolled_ damage, likewise for backstab (with appropriate multiplier). Not entirely sure about that though...
Old 06-18-2001, 05:13 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by antonius:
Is that right about criticals? I was under the impression that is was double _rolled_ damage, likewise for backstab (with appropriate multiplier). Not entirely sure about that though...
Yes, you are probably right...my fault sorry Like I said, I'm not exactly an expert

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-18-2001, 05:53 AM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

The only thing I have to add to the very well answered explainations is that on a Critical Hit is a roll of 20 (19 in some cases). Your "to hit" is rolled with a 20 sided die. Damage is then rolled on a 1d10 or whatever the weapon calls for. There is 1d6 1d3 (rolled on a six sided die but the damage is: if you roll a 1 or 2 you do 1 point damage, 3 or 4 you do 2 points damage, 5 or 6 you do 3 points damage) 1d4 2d4 1d8 and 1d10.

Maybe theyve changed the rules to D&D but back in the old days when D&D first got started a 2 handed sword did 3d6. so a +5 2 hander would do 8 to 23.

Critical hits were maximum possible damage. and, if you rolled a 20 it was ALWAYS a hit regardless of your opponents armour class. I know alot of things have changed in the last 20 years in D&D and technicly you cant hit a -10 armour class if youre a first level fighter.... its beyond your cpapabilities.

Anyone else out there with a lil more insight into this???

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2001, 01:12 PM   #7
TeKNiKaLL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

glad its not a dumb question
Old 06-18-2001, 01:23 PM   #8
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:

Maybe theyve changed the rules to D&D but back in the old days when D&D first got started a 2 handed sword did 3d6. so a +5 2 hander would do 8 to 23.
One correction Earthdog. 2-handers did/do 3d6 damage to Large opponents...only 1d10 to small and medium opponents. At least, that's what 2nd edition was...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-18-2001, 01:37 PM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

An additional comment (at least from my experience)

A roll of 20 on a d20 does always hit, no matter your THACO or your opponents AC. Also, a roll of 1 on a d20 always misses, again no matter the circumstances. In addition with a roll of 1, you not only miss, you also have a chance (albeit a small one ) of a 'mishap', like damaging yourself, someone in your party, dropping your weapon.......

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?