Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2002, 09:29 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

(spoiler)
I think I will always remember the fight with Yux as, "The Battle of the Gazongas."

This was my first REALLY tough battle in the game: The first one where I didn't say, "Oh, yeah, I see how I screwed up. I'll just reload and kick derriere." After getting my tush kicked severely (lost 4 of 6 party members), I reloaded and took my party back and cleaned out the whole D.E. level 5 (I had skipped all the side rooms). This allowed a few chracters to level. This, plus a little rest, and my knowledge of what to expect in THAT room, allowed my party to win the second time around; but it still wasn't easy.

So, are any battles in Severed Hand harder (relative to expected party strength), than that final battle with Yux?
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:54 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

"Over-rated Fight"
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

What an...interesting...title you have chosen. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I don't think any battles in the Severed Hand will be more difficult than the finish of Dragon's Eye, but the layout of the former elven home can cause you problems if your party gets split up.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:44 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I kind of agree with Dundee ... Yuxonomei is not pushover, but I personally think the previous High Summoner level is tougher - especially on Heart of Fury mode.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 02:25 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

(spoiler)
Micah,

Hmmm... It is odd how different folks can play the same game and find different parts harder. I blew right through the High Summoner level, like a ginsu blade through cheesecake, and never even had the help from Christiana Knight and Co. (I found them in the very last room I visited.) I think that a big chunk of the reason I had it easy might be twofold:
1.) By chance, I chose a route that led me fairly directly to the high summoners' chamber.
2.) By habit, I pause the game immediately after completing an action; so that I can think in peace about what to do next.

I think that these two choices colluded to make it appear (from the in-game perspective) like I made a bee-line to the high summoners' chamber and immediately toasted them. --- (Heh, heh, short stops along the way to kill Sharra and very RUDELY interrupt a snake banquet.) There were three guys in the summoners room - don't know how many of them were actually doing the summoning. --- Anyway, as a consequence, the first wave of snakes and "peace-loving" invisible "priests" (or whatever they were) was, by far, the hardest part of this level for me; and it wasn't nearly as hard as the battle with Yux. After I got through the first wave, I didn't have to fight many summoned creatures; and the ones I did encounter were in very small groups.

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: NobleNick ]

Old 03-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer

Nick,

I agree ... but part of the difference in perception is due to the difference in difficulty setting. When I played through on normal difficulty, quite frankly, I didn't have much trouble with any of the battles except for a little bit with Yux the first time, and then Malavon. On heart of fury mode, things changed dramatically! The high summoner became a MAJOR problem - because (as has been pointed out in a much earlier thread) his "summoned" monsters are the result of a script and not a spell and therefore are not subjected to the normal eight hour time limit. So the typical tactic of hit and run, rest, hit and run, rest - repeat as needed - generates a HUGH number of summoned monsters to fight! I swear that the HS's room was stacked floor to ceiling with trolls and lizardmen when we FINALLY got there.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 03-06-2002, 06:19 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hooo boy!! Can't wait to get through this wimpy normal stuff and play on that HoF mode!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Nick,

Make it a REAL challenge and start an entirely new first level party and play through IWD, HOW and TOL from start to finish on HOF mode!!!

You'll learn to hate and fear goblins above ALL things!!! ROTFL

[img]smile.gif[/img]