Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I have attempted this fight over and over again. I simply cannot do it. Does anyone have any help they can offer? I have lots of protection spells cast (too many to list), which includes protection from evil (which seems to be no use as all his demons attack me anyway), and I summon monsters (not that they help either - they don't have a chance to do anything, one of the Balors only has to sneeze to turn 'em into a puddle). My fighters charge in to attack Slayer-Irenicus, who makes a copy of himself (simulacrum) and then his demons finish 'em off in about 5 hits per character. My party is:

Me (Mage): Lvl 17
Minsc: Lvl 17
Jaheira: Lvl 13 (both
Anomen: Lvl 20
Aerie: Lvl 12 (Mage) and Lvl 13 (Cleric) I think
Imoen: Lvl 17

Any help really, REALLY appreciated!

And if there is anywhere else to recieve help (i.e a guide) I am sorry for wasting your time and humbly ask to be directed there. Thanks once again!
slicer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

You should be able to take down the demons easily enough at those levels. Do so, then run like hell. Its possible to get out of irenicus's LOS, and then all you have to do is wait for his defenses to wear off. Unfotunately, irenicus slayer change dosent have the side effects yours does, so you'll have to take him down in that form.

If you going to summon anything in this fight, make it something tough. Mordenkainens swords, spring to mind, as do skeleton warriors. Probably wont last long, but every hit helps.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Hm...I've tried focusing my attcks on the demons but...they still win. They take down Jaheira, Minsc and Anomen's HP down way too fast. (Jaheira has her strength boosted to 18 btw, and Anomen has this spell that gives him 23 strength). I have gotten Irenicus down to the point where he runs downwards, which I didn't understand, as he was still uninjured...
Old 06-25-2003, 02:06 PM   #4
Alson
Galvatron

Let's see what can be done here. Have you bought those high level scrolls from Ribald? Now would be a good time to use them.

Before the battle:
  • Memorize x3 Mordenkainen's Sword (you or Imoen should have it). Rest, and cast Chain Contingency from a scroll. Place the x3 Swords within it. Condition: Enemy Sighted.
  • Have Aerie and Jaheira memorize as many Holy Smites as possible.Same goes for Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting - you and Imoen can cast it.
  • Memorize some Improved Hastes. It'll turn Minsc, Anomen & Jaheira into dervishes of destruction.
  • Give the Flail of Ages to Anoemn (and a decent shield) and the Silver Sword/Warblade to Minsc. What does J use? Anyway, memorize Ironskins with J.
In the battle:
  • Have your (hasted!) fighters go after Irenicus. Send one Mage with them for the occasional Breach.
  • Meanwhile, the Swords will keep the Demons busy (as they will not be able to hurt them). While the Demons are busy, bombard them with Lower Resistance followed by area-of-effect spells - Wilting, Holy Smite, etc...
  • Keep a close eye on the battle text. If Jon casts some kind of protection spells, Breach it. Don't bother with direct damage spells on Irenicus. If the mages/Jaheira run out of stoneskin - recast it.
That should really be more than enough. If you still can't make it, let us know.

[ 06-25-2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:19 PM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

if you can't handle the demons just ignore them.
Summon some pets to keep the demons occupied for a few seconds and use this time to run away and hide down a staircase (cast haste on you party before opening the door)
Now wait for Irenicus spell protections to wear off and send in a summon every now and then to make him waste his high level spells on those. Be wary though that the summons do not lure him to you.
After some time you can now face unprotected Irenicus who has run out of spells yourself and do whatever you want to him.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Um...oops? *sheepish grin*

A few problems...I don't have lower resistance spells, no high level scrolls (apart from timestop and absolute immunity) but the swords and contingency shouldn't be a problem.

Just one thing I have to mention - in one of my attempts I cast the sword spell and it dies instantly....?? Whats up with that?

Thanks a lot for the strategy, I'll give it a go a little later! Still a little frustrated from the other tries, need to cool down a little. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for the help!

Jaheira uses one of the magical scimitars you get in the game...erm...its appearance is that of one of Drizzt's scimitars...can't remember its name now...
Old 06-25-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:
Um...oops? *sheepish grin*

A few problems...I don't have lower resistance spells, no high level scrolls (apart from timestop and absolute immunity) but the swords and contingency shouldn't be a problem.

Just one thing I have to mention - in one of my attempts I cast the sword spell and it dies instantly....?? Whats up with that?

Thanks a lot for the strategy, I'll give it a go a little later! Still a little frustrated from the other tries, need to cool down a little. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for the help!

Jaheira uses one of the magical scimitars you get in the game...erm...its appearance is that of one of Drizzt's scimitars...can't remember its name now...

Maybe someone casts Death spell. It kills the sword(s).

The Scimitair you are mentioned is probably Belm+2.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:30 PM   #8
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I think Belm is the one from the Djinnis at Trademeet, correct?
If so, that isn't the one...I think I got it in the Underdark...not very sure though...
Old 06-25-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
Dobian
Dungeon Master

Yeah, this one's a toughie. First, make sure you distribute a bunch of heal potions to everyone's quick slots. And make sure Anomen has one or two group heal spells memorized. Also have Anomen memorize several raise undead spells. Do the usual buffing up before you start, have Anomen summon some skeleton warriors and Jaheira some polar bears. Haste them, and stick them all up by the door so they'll be in position to attack once JI and the demons appear. when the fight starts, back everyone off and fire ranged attacks and spells at the demons while your summons go to work. When the last of the summons have been killed, lure the remaining demons to the bottom of the map while you pick away at them. Don't deal with JI at this point, just keep your people at a safe distance and focus on getting rid of the demons.

Once they're done, get everyone healed up and go after JI. Stay out of his sight and harass him with any summoned monster spells you have left. Get him to use up his spells on the summons. Cast a fresh set of buffing spells on your party. Cast spells to remove his protections while you send your best fighter after him. Heal often, and do tag team on him, sending in a fresh fighter when someone gets too damaged. It's easy to get him to chase one person while the others harass him from a distance. When he finally is in his Slayer form and has no more magic left, then you've got him. Cast group heal, surround him, and unload!
Dobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:37 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Before the fight starts use summons. Imoen can use the Project Image trick if you don`t mind eating cheese. If you have Spell Striggers load them with Breach...Jaheira can cast Ironskins and Nature`s Beauty. Aerie can do a little buffing.Have Aerie and Jaheira memorize as many Holy Smites.do this with Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. And make sure you have (Improved) Haste memorized.

[ 06-25-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote