Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #11
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I have read something about the firewire stuff. What does it really do for me?
Firewire gives you a high speed port for connecting things such as DV camera's and other high bandwith peripherals. Firewire runs at 400Mbps. In contrast your LAN runs at 100Mbps. You can also connect 2 PC's directly through the Firewire port.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:46 PM   #12
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
..... firewire stuff. What does it really do for me?[/qb]
Firewire gives you a high speed port for connecting things such as DV camera's and other high bandwith peripherals. Firewire runs at 400Mbps. In contrast your LAN runs at 100Mbps. You can also connect 2 PC's directly through the Firewire port.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I have seen where firewire is urgently recommended for video input, but how would you use it for the audio also? - I am needing to upgrade my comp also, and I need to be able to take video input in to make commercials for my customers. If I get a video card that has a DV in as well as the TV in/out, will I be able to load from the camera with the cabling that comes with it? or would I have to get a firewire also?

I have seen the raydeon cards that dell puts in thier systems(as upgrade $180.00) - is there a better way to go? I am getting a new comp to be able to do this video stuff for my customers, so I can do spec ads, and also update what they have without having to schedule a complete production. It would be foolish to go thru all that hassle and not make sure that i could produce broadcast-quality video and audio output on DVD that I could send to our production dept. and have them run as is. will this raydeon with DV in do it?

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 04-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #13
Animal
Gold Dragon

It depends on which Radeon they are using. The All in Wonder version is a great card especially the newer 9700 version which will allow video capture and editing, but it's pricey.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #14
realbinky
Elminster

Check out the Philips Acoustic Edge. It works VERY well for me, it can do EAX, and I get better surround than I did from my LIVE! platinum. It's tricky to find, but worth it, I think.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/