Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Funky Dynamite
Zhentarim Guard

Alright, I think i'm getting a feel for the program now. But does somebody know how dual classing works in DC?
Ok, I don't think I can add races/classes, can I?
Also, I'm having trouble with the DC charaedit program, can somebody help me? I can't get it to run. At all.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Tarlanon
Manshoon

I cannot answer all of these, but I will reply to a couple of your questions.

1. No, you currently cannot add races or classes at this time. At lot of those are hard coded into the editor/engine right now, so changing them leads to crashes. But the basic infrastructure is there. Someday, just not today. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the DCCharEdit program, can I ask you a few questions?

a) What OS are you running under?
b) What (if any) error message appears on the screen when you execute the program?

Also, I noticed that 'Spud added a new attribute to the character files that threw off all my offsets in the new 0.912 release. I have made the adjustments to the program, are currently testing some of the new 'features' I have added. A new release of the programs should be available soon.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

While you can't classes or races, you can change the the names (or at least you could as of .890) but there were some issues. Namely, the way CocoaSpud had DC access the config.txt file and the other .txt files, would result in the files in the main directory being changed, not just in the design directory. so if you changed Gnome to Drow, you did for all the designs. The issue with the config.txt files was fixed, but I don't know if he ever fixed it for the other files.

I'm excited to see a new version of the DCCharEdit program. Like Funky Dynamite, I like to recreate some characters from my p&p days.

-manikus
Old 07-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Funky Dynamite
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, I finally had a little time to sit down and really see what DC could do. First thing I did was made the items I wanted (minus the Strength effects) and then made my little own area. After a few tries and a lot of trial and error the program did everything I wanted to do. I solved the equipment problem by first making the items, giving the character them, and then removing the character via the training hall. (Which should have been obvious to me....I'm a dummy.... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) Forgive me, it's been a LONG time since I played FRUA. For other designs, I simply loaded the items through the database.
I have the unfortunate "honor" to be operating on Windows XP, and my DC version is the most recent (I think), .912. I extracted the DCCharEdit program into the DC program file, but it just sits there. I can't do anything with it, I can't even open it. The program icon is neutered, like my computer can't recognize it. I find it weird....
Now that have some resources I can open through Adobe PhotoDeluxe, I can make my own, but I'm still looking for some things, one of which is a destroyed town. And I'm still wanting to test out my character on a already made design. I've been looking for a nice fantasy design, but I found jack. Can anybody help....?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Funky Dynamite
Zhentarim Guard

Do any of you fine folks know if you can set up random combat for a small area?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Tarlanon
Manshoon

Funky,

By chance did you run the setup.exe program that is extracted from the dccharedit.zip file? That is the program that actualy configures and decompresses the DCCharEdit program. It should even set up an icon in your STart menu for it.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

For the pic, try google images- there should be something that you can manipulate in Photoshop.
As for a design, I have a couple that just need to be uploaded...
You can set up random combats- try using the zone feature along with the rancom combat event.

-manikus
Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Steve McDonald
The Magister

For random combat (a bit more detail): Set all the squares in the area to the same zone. Then, under "step events" choose "step event 1" and tick the zone you have used. In the Event Editor (down the bottom of the event editor), expand the "Step events", then "step event 1", choose "random event" and click "add".

Give the event an event trigger of "random chance" and set the "Chance %" value as about 1-10%. In the random event, set the values to whatever you like (just not zero). Then in the event editor insert combat events on as many of the "random chain #" event spots as you like.

Sorry if that was too basic but I think it can be hard to find your way around all the features.
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote