Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I don`t understand why so many people want to DUAL-WIELD.My point is if you have profisencies in Single Weapon Style you get a bonus to AC and if you Dual-Wield:with your Main Hand weapon you have more attackes per round then with your Off Hand.

Am i right?Correct me if not.

Cheers,Xen

Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

With dual wield, you can use two weapons. Sure Crom/Celery/FoA are nice, but two of them together are nasty. You get both abilities, and more damage potential. Also, with a fighter, thac0 isnt much of a prob. Same with the other melee classes.

[ 01-13-2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]
Old 01-13-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
Baros
Manshoon

Even for non-fighter types dual wield can be advantageous. At higher levels the THAC0 penalty will hardly be noticed, with the chance to gain an additional attack it more than makes up for it. Weapon choice becomes more essential, but Celestial Fury combined with Belm makes a great combo for a thief (since Belm in the off-hand gives the additional attack to primary hand - CF).
Baros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:56 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

On the other hand, a dual wielded character cannot use ranged weapons at all (as long as he is dual wielded). Therefore, both single weapon and two weapon styles have their advantages and disadvantages.
IMO, a strong melee fighter should be dual wielded and equipped with the best weapons available. This maximizes his power. An "archer" in the party should specialize in 2H weapons and a ranged weapon because you can switch between a ranged weapon and a 2H weapon. If the "archer" has ++ in the 2H weapon style then he will score critical damage at 19. The same is true for the single weapon style but, IMO, the 2H weapon is a better selection: there are many hands keen on 1H weapons in your party so that the "archer" can make use of good 2H weapons available. Moreover only a sling allows you to equip a shield along with a ranged weapon.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:23 AM   #5
Baros
Manshoon

since the game is paused whilst on the inventory screen this is a non-issue. I can swap weapons as much as I like. I don't do it as a rule, but if you need to, you can.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:55 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Why to dual-wield??? Because it can turn your fighter into a veritable juggernaut of destruction.

I originally spent most of Minsc's proficiencies in the 2-hand sword. I later changed my mind and used Shadowkeeper to change his proficiency to warhammer. I then gave him Crom Faeyr in one hand and another warhammer in the other. He immediately started going through monsters like a runaway locomotive. He was practically unstoppable.

I gave Cerek proficiencies in 2-hand sword also because that was his weapon of choice (from a roleplaying standpoint). When he found the Flail of Ages, he spent a couple of proficiency slots to "learn" how to use that weapon.

Now that I've dualed him to a thief, he has changed his fighting style again. I put one "*" in dual-wield and a proficiency with katana. He now swings Celestial Fury in his primary hand (so he can BackStab with it) and Flail of Ages in his off-hand. I just dreamed this combo up last night, but it seems to work well so far.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:08 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
Moreover only a sling allows you to equip a shield along with a ranged weapon.
Also, there are Darts, Throwing Daggers, Throwing Axes, and the Throwing Hammer.

Cerek, your offhand isn't exactly the best place for the Flail of Ages: Your offhand only gets ONE attack per round (the last one), and the Flail is only used to its full potential when it's hitting the enemy time after time. Good offhand weapons are weapons that either provide resistances or immunities (such as the Mace of Disruption+2, the Sword of Arvoreen, the Defender of Easthaven, or the Equalizer), or confer other combat bonuses simply by being equipped (such as the 25 STR from Crom Faeyr, or the Regeneration from the Dragonslayer or Blackrazor).
Old 01-15-2003, 05:56 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

A minor correction. Throwing axes cannot be eauipped along with a shield. At least, Rifthome Axe and the dwarven axe from the Sewers cannot in my game. If you set these axes to melee weapons then they can be equipped with a shield.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:23 AM   #9
Baros
Manshoon

There are some bugs with various items which will allow them to be equipped with either shields or another weapon in the off-hand. So, like so many other things it will depend entirely on which patches you've got.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:47 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh... throwing axes and hammers can be used with shields, even in range mode. My solo Cavalier had a lot of fun with his Sentinel Shield + Azuredge.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote