Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 12:15 AM   #1
Teeran
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am wondering, is anyone else turned off by the 3rd edition rules so much that they plan to dodge the new DnD games? I do not like how Wizards of the Coast ruined Adnd by things like everyone leveling the same, allowing any race to have any class, making AC work completely different, and so on.
The way things are I guess I just have to stick with my games like "Curse of Azure Bonds" "Secert of the Silver Blades" and everything else that came before.

I do not wish for this thread to turn into a violent arguement, i just simply want to know who feels the same about 2nd edition adnd being lost becuase WotC made a new edition
Old 12-03-2001, 05:11 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I actually like the way that WotC allowed people to have more flexibility with their characters - but the price of that flexibility and versatility is overall power. It makes sense since if you want to specialize you can anyway and the prestige classes are a great way to customize the game.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:48 AM   #3
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Why would anyone argue violently. I agree with Memnoch, I like the prestige classes, esp. the Pale Master and the Spellsword. I wanna fight #1 and as for #2, I "are" one. BTW, Memnoch, thanks, see my post in Keldorn's Order Building.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 06:24 PM   #4
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I like 3E. Its funner IMHO.

And wy should ADND not be lost....The orginal DND was lost when ADND came out, so there is no diffrence here.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:55 PM   #5
Teeran
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I guess I'm the only one who really liked the feeling of a hard struggle that second edition brought, along with the sense of accomplishment that it brought after completeling hard tasks. (I just remember always narrowly getting past things in pen and paper Adnd)

the way it sounds, that seems to have been removed since it sounds made to be alot easier, not a struggle and not as complex as before.

Another thing about second was people didn't really seem to look at all of the speciality classes they could have in the many many wonderful expansion books made for second edition (since i hear about flexibility)

Then again this could all be me wanting my most used edition back, i wonder if any of you understand how i feel about the change and wanting 2nd edition to stay
Old 12-04-2001, 12:00 AM   #6
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i like the prestige classes, that is about it. the shadow-dancer, red avengers, and the arcane archers are perfect examples. i LOVE archers, so i think if allowed, that is what ill play in NWN. if not, ill stick with my elven fighter/mage. [img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 01:49 AM   #7
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
quote:
Originally posted by Teeran:
I guess I'm the only one who really liked the feeling of a hard struggle that second edition brought, along with the sense of accomplishment that it brought after completeling hard tasks. (I just remember always narrowly getting past things in pen and paper Adnd)

the way it sounds, that seems to have been removed since it sounds made to be alot easier, not a struggle and not as complex as before.

Another thing about second was people didn't really seem to look at all of the speciality classes they could have in the many many wonderful expansion books made for second edition (since i hear about flexibility)

Then again this could all be me wanting my most used edition back, i wonder if any of you understand how i feel about the change and wanting 2nd edition to stay

Well struggle and complexity all depends on your DM.

He can make the adventure hard as he wants, so in the end you still have the feeling that you accoplished somthing.

Its also particaly up to you, how much you put into the game.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:54 AM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I'm probably not going to buy NWN, mostly because of the 3rd edition rules, simple as that.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 10:44 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Tsk.. crybabies! (joking and teasingly alot)
3:edition is great, and if you donīt buy the game because of it.. Well.. your loss. And all this tlk about 3:ed being an easier system is (insert aproprate word here)X2...

You seem to forget alot, itīs up to the DM.. Simple as that.
So even if you donīt want to play the PnP game fine, donīt let an oopurtunity go past to be able to play what-at-least-for-now seems to be a great game.

CRPGīs never gonna be like real PnP [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Hehe.. Take that LOL!
Oki, I feel a bit mischievious now, so if you find NWN too easy, Iīll make a Koblin cave for you!! And when you meet the Kobold/barbarians and sorcerors, you gonna understand why you have all thoose feats!

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:48 PM   #10
Russ
Manshoon

I am in that category... I am deeply disappointed in 3rd edition.
If anybody can tell me why I should bother playing a "vanilla" character class in 3rd ed... and because of this I will be giving a really severe look-see to NWN before plunking down cash on it that might be better spent on herbs for another jow.

Actually, those of us who are old hands in PnP in my area have started going way back to basic dnd, which had minimal mechanics and put all the emphasis on roleplaying... why getting special abilities for being a mercenary/sellsword, as opposed to a local lord's loyal retainer, is beyond me...