Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Question Mark OnHeartbeat Scripting...

I know there is already one that happens whenever you enter the server. What that one does is delete one of your Rings of Harm. If you are like myself and buy them in bulk, that isn't a problem. What I was wondering is if the same script could be applied to certain keys which are not automatically deleted when you use them. I am certain I had a list of these keys previously on the forum, but I cannot recall where it is now. The main reason why I am requesting such is that it'll make removing them a lot faster than trying to find every single door that needs a key. As well, I was curious if it could be used to remove all of one certain item from a character's inventory. Things such as "leg bones," "skeleton's knuckles," and "ichor" would be great. That way, every time you logged in fresh, all those technically useless items would be swept away from your inventory. It would go far towards people picking up all that stuff some of the creatures leave behind.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: OnHeartbeat Scripting...

Heartbeat scripting is very bad, especially in a large module. Default heartbeat is every 6 seconds, and it's going to run until it gets all of them. The script that takes the ring, I believe, is done OnEnter of the module, and doesn't loop, which is why it only takes one. A Heartbeat script would take them all. The problem with doing this for every item is that it may lag you severely when you first enter.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Then it would be the OnEnter scripting then I am thinking of. And I would be thinking of the same concept: take one of the items out of your inventory as you can technically acquire it again while going through the Undermountain. The only time having extra keys is useful is if you are going through the Undermountain backwards (from lowest level accessible upwards) as there is no way to unlock the Level Eleven (Underground Desert) gate without the Level Ten (Lizardmen Realms) key.

And it is good to see you posting again, RTB.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It would take it no matter where you entered the module. The easiest thing to do is make certain doors/containers etc take the key on use. That's just a check box on the door/container in question.

Good to be able to post, even if I'm not going to be very active in game right now. Just checking in to let everyone know that while there are days that the jury is still out, I'm still breathing.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Question Mark Re: OnHeartbeat Scripting...

The one issue with your concept is that Ziroc would then have to go through all the major doors within the module and re-tap them. This would take quite some time, but it could be made easier with a list from the players about which doors do and do not remove the keys when appropriate. Something else I was considering was raising the value of reselling the keys back to Durnan. I mean, if each unused key was worth around 10000 gold, then those whom had keys in abundance would be more than happy to sell them off.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ok, it's been a while, a long while, since I've been in the toolset, but each area has a list of doors, and you can look at the properties of each door, and check a box. It can take some time, but it's not a major mod overhaul.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

I surmise that method would work then. It just feels for some reason that it would be easier to do the script method. Which of course brings me to another question: for areas where multiple keys can be acquired, could you then associate doors in lower levels to those keys? Such as the Captain's Cabin key (purchased when you head over to the Undead Isle) be used to open up a door on the Undead Isle itself?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yes, all you have to do when you set up the door is give it the tag, or maybe the resref of the key you want it to use. You could even set variables on the key, and have it open doors as you come to them, creating a master key. I'm way rusty as to how to go about this though.

Edit: Ok, I thought about this for a minute, and it would be the tag of the key, and the script would just be a simple check/set blurb of a thing, with only the tag of the door needing to be different.

Not a script:

If GetLocalVariable(xxxxx)=1
Return;
SetLocalVariable(xxxxx)1

Ok, way rusty, but you get the idea. Each door would have it's own variable, which could just be the tag of the door. It would then set the variable on the key, probably OnUse of the door, and presto, master key.

Last edited by robertthebard; 12-28-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: My brain engaged.