Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 06:42 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Oh that poor guy! I'm thinking he must have been very confident that she would say yes to do that so publicly? Sheesh she was backing away from him at the get-go before he even proposed! Ouch indeed

PS-Funny, this took place in the area where I live and I had not heard of it before LOL! Hey, that's what Ironworks is good for, I can get my local news from others here, even if they live in Canada, it's great

Reality Show Recaps
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #12
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Oh man, I really feel sorry for the guy, getting shot down in public, on tv, in front of that many people. Poor guy...
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 02-24-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I feel sorry for the girl. He chose to put himself in a position where he'd be humiliated in public - she didn't. I've seen things like that, where people propose or similar in front of a crowd or at a big party and the pressure that onlookers put on the receiver of the proposal to give everyone a romantic thrill is totally unfair.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:55 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
quote:

Very romantic.
unless she said no like she did there.. poor bloke.. feel sorry for the poor sod, he felt terrible. [/QUOTE]That's what i mean.... very romantic.

I recall an episode of All You Need Is Love, here on Dutch television, where a similar thing happened. Although i can't remember if the guy just asked the girl out on a date, or if he was proposing.

Anyway, he had it all figured out. During a Normaal concert (Dutch rockband) the leadsinger would call the girl in question to step onto the stage. Then he would come out, on a bike, with closed helmet, maintaining the mystery part.

So it happened. He took off his helmet and popped the question, in front of thousands of Normaal fans AND on national television. Then she replied in that typical Tukker accent: Nee, ik heb al een vriend (no, i already have a boyfriend). At first he just sat there on his bike, stunned by the outcome of this. Then he ran backstage, crying really REALLY hard. Fortunately for us the cameraman followed him all the way, so that the entire country could see what a big wuss he is.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #15
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I feel sorry for the girl. He chose to put himself in a position where he'd be humiliated in public - she didn't. I've seen things like that, where people propose or similar in front of a crowd or at a big party and the pressure that onlookers put on the receiver of the proposal to give everyone a romantic thrill is totally unfair.
I agree, I'd be mortified! I mean blimey, what do you do? Say yes to save him embarrassment even though you don't want to? Course not. He made the decision and put her in a position, not the other way round.

I feel sympathy for him too mind.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Couldn't it be that the girl just ran from the Wizards' performance ? They aren't exactly playing their best season you know. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2004, 07:22 PM   #17
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

the star wars kid still gets my vote for most humiliating thing ever but this still rates way up there [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2004, 07:50 PM   #18
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Oh forgot about the Star Wars kid LOL, have to agree with Downunda on that one [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Did he ever get all that money? That kid I mean? I remember all these people felt sorry for him and were campaigning to get him money to go to college or something?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 02-24-2004, 09:52 PM   #19
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I agree, I'd be mortified! I mean blimey, what do you do? Say yes to save him embarrassment even though you don't want to? Course not. He made the decision and put her in a position, not the other way round.

I feel sympathy for him too mind.
[/QUOTE]From what I've seen in my (admittedly short) 33 years, the people that usually ask in public are hoping to put the pressure on the receiver of the proposal (i.e. they are not confident that they'll say yes if they ask them in private, so they do it in front of a crowd). Good on her to shoot him down despite the pressure (akin to peer pressure). I feel bad because I could put myself in his shoes and can just imagine what it would be like. However, I wouldn't have put myself in that position to begin with; I would just ask in private.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 PM   #20
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

heh! served that guy a lesson for making a fool of himself in front of the public.