Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2002, 02:43 AM   #1
aun1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all
Might , and , Magic , is what this game on the whole has to offer.Well i ask , why does magic sucks so much later on ? im pinpointing mages and the spells of ALL the other classes for example , death wish , asphyxiation , quicksand , etc etc etc.
My first party is 2 mages 3 warriors 1 priest. and now im nearly at the end of the game , and when i take a look back , i see my 2 mages helped me CRAP! The only spell that is worth using is X-ray and for this one spell i raised 2 sucky classes for 22 levels I know you all want reaasons , well , Asphyxiation SUCKS compared to mana cost , Each and every fire realm spell sucks , Water realm's only useful spells are blizzard and dehydrate, wont mention other 3rd class useless spells of other realms will make this all too long a thread. BUT i WILL mention the most sickeningly poor air realm! i mean what is has to offer anyway ? asphyxiation , which lvl 11 piercer modai group with 75 air resistance resisted , and im talking about each and every one of them(yes missle shield is good , but i dont see a WHOLE lot of mobs in this game shooting 100x damage arrows or bolts on party)! fire realm is totaly use less in the later game , and im sure every one knows it.
Ill be short with the might part , my warriors kill and dmg stuff 99.99% of the times , 185 dmg per blow 135 dmg per blow and thing is gone.my mages get resisted like crazy on each and every encounter in the later game.and God , if this is the condition of PURE casters like mages , i wonder how worthless would be hybrids (in magic realm ONLY!)
So plz convince me with proofs that magic doesnt suck in this game , or im quitting it after finishing it with my first party.
Thanx in advance to all those who post.
ButcH
Old 01-31-2002, 04:08 AM   #2
ice3
Drow Warrior

Magic in Wizardry 8 is only for defencif. The offensif is so weak that you prefer to engage a good old warrior. The only good offensif spells are area, and they can make some mass damage (cumulated) in one blow before you warriors finish the staks.

Yes W8 is definitively a Might game. If you want a pure Magic game try Might and Magic VI, there magic is king, might is.... ahem ignored ;P
Old 01-31-2002, 04:13 AM   #3
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

You obviously didn't take the time to build your spellcasters correctly. I went through with 2 bishops, bard, gadgeteer, valkyrie and ranger. My bard and gadgeteer were my primary healers later on because I didn't want to waste my bishops' spellcasting on buffing. The bishops ended up with the highest number of kills and that was without ANY 7th level spells.

My favorites were Whipping Rocks/Quicksand/Crush, Whirlwind/Toxic Cloud/Silence/Pandemonium, Blizzard/Iceball/Freeze All/Holy Water, Fireball/Firestorm/Boiling Blood, Turncoat/Ego Whip/Psionic Blast and Eye for an Eye/Banish/Guardian Angel.

Between those two and the 'spells' my bard and gadgeteer could cast with their special items, magic made my endgame a lot easier. I normally took out as many opponents as possible with magic in the first two rounds while my non-magic people used their slings/bows on them and then I'd take the group up to melee range to wipe out anyone left.

The moral is: don't underestimate the value of a good magic-wielding character.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:25 AM   #4
Elhana
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I disagree. My 2 bishops have so far been devastating. They have the 1st and 2nd most number of kills amongst my whole party! (My party is currently at level 20/21 and we just finished Bayjin. )

You have to hit them where their resistance is weak. Take rock crabs. Tough to kill. My ninja, samurai and monk can all gang up on one and if we are lucky, might be able to beat just one down into the dust in one round. My 2 bishops cast 2 level 7 firebombs and go an average 90 to 100 damage on every single rock crab. 2 rounds, and, throw in a fireball or psionic blast from my hybrids and these crabs are toast.

Did your spell castors have powercast? I even killed Rynjin from afar with outright damage spells. Certain spells just work better against different kind of creatures. I haven't gone Rapax rift yet (plan to), but I hear that they have high resis against fire. Makes sense since they live around lava pits. Well, then I will use water realm spells!

Magic can be powerful too. I once fought 12 crabs, over 10 rynjin and 6 serpants at Bayjin. Would have taken me forever to walk up to each one and kill it with melee. But multiple fireball, firestorm, firebomb, pandemonium, plus summoning 2 elementals finished the battle in double quick time.

My bishops are now starting reach high enough level that they can cast power 5 death cloud and death wish. When it goes to the point when I can cast power 7 death clouds and death wish, they will be a death dealing machine!

Certain mobs are meant to be killed by melee and others are more efficiently killed by group spells. Magic has served me very well so far! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 05:21 AM   #5
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

1/ Hit them where their resistance is the weakest
2/ Boost powercast to 75+.
3/ Cast spells at maximum power level
Old 01-31-2002, 07:49 AM   #6
Nydlari
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Warhammer:
1/ Hit them where their resistance is the weakest
2/ Boost powercast to 75+.
3/ Cast spells at maximum power level

All good advice, and I'll add one thing to the first piece: Many mobs are weak against specific spells in a realm where their resistance is high.

I've been using a bishop, bard, and 4 hybrids in both my 1st and 2nd parties, and magic has been king. I noticed in the original post that psionic spells hadn't been mentioned, big mistake, the psi realm has a lot of powerfull spells. Cerebral hemerage is one of my favorites.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 08:03 AM   #7
aun1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all
First of all , thanx to all those who replied.Some things id like to add up here , my mistake that i didnt clarify my choice of magic user that i stated were not good , i was just pointing the mages ... priests are excellent magic users , so are psionics and alchemist (talking about the part which strengthens and reinforces the melles e.g. superman , haste)i havnt tried a bishop yet so cant say.Both my mages power cast is above 80 at this point , but still spells like asphyxiation , each fire realms spell , and puny dmg dealing spells like magic missles and whipping rocks , they are nothing compared to a supermaned - blessed melle , hybrid or warrior.Because after all the encounters from Arnika to Ascenion peak that i have been , ive seen the AE dmg spells pretty good at lower levels , and seriously weak at higher ones,even bad is that the spells we GET at higher levels (only pointing to mages) they are resisted like crazy almost all the time ive tried , uh and again both my mages powercast is above 80 at this time. The gentleman on the 2nd post seemed to agree with me on this issue,about most of offensive spells like asphyxiation nuke mmissles firebomb acid bomb are pretty weak.Death cloud , i m pretty sure it is a good one , havnt tried it yet though.
Ah and by the way i have played m&m6 [img]smile.gif[/img] one of the games i enjoyed most it is.
Goodluck all.
ButcH
Old 01-31-2002, 09:01 AM   #8
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

Damage spells are useful in Wizardry but should not be relied on especailly when the enemy cast any spells to increase resitance. I have found spells like Insanity, Freeze Flesh, Freeze All, Pandemonium, Web, Armormelt, and other condition inducing spells to be very useful. I probably would not play with a pure Mage as I like the flexibility a Bishop offers.

I have heard about some people playing with spellcaster heavy parties. Maybe they can shed some light.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 01:32 PM   #9
Chaosopher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Am I the only one grooving to 'blinding flash' ? Low cost fire realm spell that can nuetralize large groups of monsters.
Chaosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 04:44 PM   #10
Nydlari
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Chaosopher:
Am I the only one grooving to 'blinding flash' ? Low cost fire realm spell that can nuetralize large groups of monsters.

I can't stand that spell actualy, that one or terror. I hate having to chase down my prey when they run. Give me insanity any day, not only does it weaken their ability to attack me, they stay put so I can kill them.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote