Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
Luseleaf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I finished the mines, and turned down Xan, and now I'm back in Nashkell.

When I ran into Xan, it was *before* I killed Mulh(?)y, and I turned him down, and he didn't leave. I'm wondering if he'll still be back in that cave later.

I have abandoned Khalid and Jaheira in Nashkell to make room for Dynaheir, and added Branwen. I wonder if I troop around a lot with this party, and go up in levels, and then later come back for Khalid and/or Jaheira, will their experience points remain the same as when I left them?

If so, it would be theoretically interesting to consider your party to be the whole number of people who will join your party as your party, of whom you may use five at a time, and then rotate them in and out to have the challenge of getting *everyone* to the experience point cap at the same time.

If not, that's better for my game, anyway.
Luseleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:08 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

At the start of the game, the various NPCs have *no* EXP at all. At the moment they first join their party, the computer makes a decision: There are several copies of each NPC, and each copy has its own EXP level, equipment, and weapon proficiencies. The game looks at the EXP of each copy of the NPC that you just recruited, and whichever one most closely resembles the PC's EXP is the one that actually joins the party.

This calculation only happens ONCE. When you boot an NPC from the party, their EXP will remain exactly where it was until you pick them up again and go kill things.

You can still get all the NPCs to the EXP cap, however, simply by getting your party of 6 to very high levels, and then when you go talk to everyone else, they're high-level too.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:32 PM   #3
Caramon Majeure
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not so sure about that SoS...it was a long time ago so I could be wrong, but there was one part when I dropped Monty and the mage in Berogost, then went on to get Dynaheir and completed the Naskell Mines, when I went back to get Monty for some thief skills briefly, of course the mage joined to, and unless I'm mistaken, he had gained a level or two during the period that I was gone...but again, this was awhile ago and I could be wrong.
Caramon Majeure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:32 AM   #4
Kormar the Wanderer
Manshoon

As far as I know SoS is right. I don't recall ever having anyone increase in level after they had been released, and their level has always been relative to mine when they joined for the first time...
Old 11-03-2002, 05:29 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Well, I do make mistakes every once in a while (about once a month, I think), but I'm 99.5% sure I'm right about this. I'll double-check it tonight: Start a new game, get Imoen into the party (Level 1 or 2), boot her again, Gatekeeper myself up to the EXP cap, Reload, and see if Imoen adjusts herself to my level again.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:38 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Well, I do make mistakes every once in a while (about once a month, I think), but I'm 99.5% sure I'm right about this. I'll double-check it tonight: Start a new game, get Imoen into the party (Level 1 or 2), boot her again, Gatekeeper myself up to the EXP cap, Reload, and see if Imoen adjusts herself to my level again.
Dont bother. Your right. 100% absoloutely certain.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:35 AM   #7
Grungi
Banned User

im pretty sure its right as when i dropped xan for a while and came back to him many levels later he was still level 2 and pretty pathetic, im still trying to get him up to scratch even now but hes lagging behind the party badly
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:29 AM   #8
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

If I have learned one thing on my limited time on the boards here it is that Six is ALWAYS right...So I go with him on principle as well as personal experience.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:17 AM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

yeah but you like kobolds so im not listening to you (even if we are agreeing damnit!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

*sets his undead hordes on you*
Old 11-04-2002, 09:27 AM   #10
Grungi
Banned User

actually i just remembered and i need to declare myself and six wrong, i left xzar and montaron and picked them up again just to check them out and they had both levelled up alot so were like level 6, for some reason xan didnt, now with xzar and montaron i left them at nashkel, xan i left in an inn in nashkel, xzar and montaron i left in another inn but everytime i return to nashkel they are both standing right outside the store there, so why do they level up and xan didnt hrm?