Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 08:56 AM   #11
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Take a swiss Army knife with ya (I have the special ed. Black one--bought it in 1989) has a SAW and 25 other things (it's over an inch thick)

That knife has gotten me outta so many jams, it isn't even funny! Used it to cut the hose on the car and jerry-rig the hose to work and tons of other things!

PS: Check all the Hoses and hose rings. Belts.. make sure all the liquids are topped off.. ect.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 03-04-2003, 09:26 AM   #12
Epona
Zartan

I can't believe no-one's mentioned this, but make sure you have basic tools in the boot (or trunk as you call it )

It's no good having a spare on you if you remember at the crucial moment that you left your jack in the garage!

Also get some radiator sealant just in case, the most likely thing to happen to an older car on a long journey is your stressed radiator or hoses will spring a sudden leak. Remember, if you overheat, let the engine cool down before removing the radiator cap.

Spare headlight bulb may be handy (unless your headlights are sealed units which can be a pain in the arse).

Now is the time to sort out any odd rattles or knocking noises you've been wondering about for a while.

Check oil, water, tyre pressure, fan belt, that sort of thing.

800 miles is it? Did road-trip (as a passenger I hasten to add) of 4000 miles each way once - London, England to Alba Iulia, Romania - and back again a month later. Was great, I love travelling!

Above all, have fun.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:36 AM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A few different things to add in...

... first, I don't know enough. Is your car a new car, one with 20-30,000 miles on it, or the family hand-me-down that's had over 200,000 miles and keeps on going? The newer the car, the less likely there will be a problem. In any case, tell a mechanic what you're going to do and have them check out the car. They can point out any potential problems.

... second, get to mapquest or AAA and get a map of how to get there. You might want a couple of maps, say one for each major chunk of road (150-200 miles). Tossing another map in the back seat can be a real sense of accomplishment, and might be the high point of the next couple of hours (think Nebraska [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

... third, a general rule of thumb is that you'll cover fifty miles an hour, all told. That includes breaks for food, stopping for fuel, and so on. So if you drive straight through, that's sixteen hours of driving. I'd suggest doing it in two days, and map out where you plan to be at what times. IOW, scheduling to drive through Chicago (and I-80 takes you there) at 4:30 in the afternoon is not the best way to have a good time.

... fourth, and this is optional, if you want to make this an adventure, skip the normal places to eat. Eat at roadside shacks and local restaurant chains to get a taste of something different. You can eat at McD's at home -- why drive all over to do the same thing?

Planning is the key, IMHO -- and no, I'm not anal-retentive. Just detail-oriented [img]smile.gif[/img] If you know where you're going to be and do things, it will be a lot of fun.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #14
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
A few different things to add in...

... first, I don't know enough. Is your car a new car, one with 20-30,000 miles on it, or the family hand-me-down that's had over 200,000 miles and keeps on going? The newer the car, the less likely there will be a problem. In any case, tell a mechanic what you're going to do and have them check out the car. They can point out any potential problems.

... second, get to mapquest or AAA and get a map of how to get there. You might want a couple of maps, say one for each major chunk of road (150-200 miles). Tossing another map in the back seat can be a real sense of accomplishment, and might be the high point of the next couple of hours (think Nebraska [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

... third, a general rule of thumb is that you'll cover fifty miles an hour, all told. That includes breaks for food, stopping for fuel, and so on. So if you drive straight through, that's sixteen hours of driving. I'd suggest doing it in two days, and map out where you plan to be at what times. IOW, scheduling to drive through Chicago (and I-80 takes you there) at 4:30 in the afternoon is not the best way to have a good time.

... fourth, and this is optional, if you want to make this an adventure, skip the normal places to eat. Eat at roadside shacks and local restaurant chains to get a taste of something different. You can eat at McD's at home -- why drive all over to do the same thing?

Planning is the key, IMHO -- and no, I'm not anal-retentive. Just detail-oriented [img]smile.gif[/img] If you know where you're going to be and do things, it will be a lot of fun.
A quick mention about the mapquest-AAA comment. I'd recommend actually going to AAA if you're a member and getting them to create a map for you instead of going online. I've had too many times that I got a map online and it took me to the wrong place (and once I was trying to get to the Buffalo International Airport, so you'd think they'd get that right, but it took me to the middle of nowhere and I almost missed my flight).
Old 03-04-2003, 10:24 AM   #15
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Very true about mapquest. I came back from a Nebraska to Memphis trip and found that by following the mapquest map I went 8 miles outta my way once I was in Memphis. Not to mention the Highway that didn't exsist that mapquest said did.

My wife and I, yes I was married recently, drive ALOT. She has a 2000 mitsubishi Mirage and it now has 90+ thousand miles on it. So some other things to do.

DO get an oil change. Have them check all the belts, hoses, fluids, air pressure and filters.
DO get an audiobook or two. They will really help for those long stretches with nothing but cows and corn in sight. (I live in Nebraska) They have tons of them at Barnes and Noble, Borders or any other bookstore and they will really help keep your mind alert.
DO get a First Aid kit. On our trip from Pheonix we saw a car flip end over end 300 yards in front of us on the Interstate. You really want that kit at a time like that. Good thing my wife is a Nurse.
DO take your time and if you get drowsy find a Hotel/Motel and crash for the night.
DO take along some Sinus Medicine, Motion Sickeness pills, IMODIUM !! and some antacid tablets. Too much caffine and Junk food can really give you heart burn.

Have a great trip!

[ 03-04-2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Wulfere ]
Old 03-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #16
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Thanks a lot everyone, this has really, really helped. I'm ever so grateful [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-04-2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 03-04-2003, 02:58 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

To echo what everyone else has said on Mapquest, since I brought it up... I use it frequently for work, since I travel a lot. It always deserves a sanity check, no matter what. AAA will be better in most cases; I don't have the time to get a new trip-tik or three every week.

For things like interstates, it shouldn't be bad, but routing through and around towns can be crazy. I needed to get from Midway airport (southwest of Chicago) to a meeting that was northwest of Chicago. I got to Midway at 5:30 in the morning and was driving by six. The suggested route (that I didn't question) involved routing me through downtown Chicago, basically.

I figured it was 6AM, and who could possibly be on the roads at that hour?

I was wrong!

Two hours later, I made it to my meeting. Fortunately, I had arrived with a lot of spare time.

The trip back in the afternoon (through a different route) took about 30 minutes.

So, take the suggestions and make sure you agree. 'Course, for most things, you can follow the signs to your next big city.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:27 PM   #18
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

When I recently drove up to NJ from GA, I went to my local mechanic (a Midas shop - good guy) and had him check the brakes, coolant system and tires.

Yes, get an oil change before you go if you haven't had one in a while. And have them check ALL the fluids in the car - oil/radiator/brake. Also, have them take a look at the belts and radiator hoses.

Plus, take along a can or two of fix-a-flat...just in case...you really shouldn't travel long distances or higher speeds (over 55mph) on a spare unless it's a full-size spare.

As to the refreshments...I went up (a 14 hour drive) in one go on Mountain Dew, water, cigarettes and a pack of Ritz crackers, lol. You should have no trouble. *Do* set out from the area you know well at night. Easier to traverse the places you know in the dark. That way, as you continue on the trip, you have full daylight when you are in unfamiliar territory.

As to a map...I'll join in that MapQuest SUCKS! I got specific directions on the end of the trip from Hiram and general driving directions for the interim from him and a couple others who lived along the way. I bought myself a NEW Rand McNally road atlas to keep myself on the straight and narrow and to help clarify directions. I'd suggest the same to you.

The flashlight, water and windshield wiper fluid are all good ideas, but also keep some oil on hand, some stop leak for oil as well as the radiator (which, I believe someone already mentioned).

That's about all I can add. Have a good trip and be safe! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edited to add: I found that, when traveling the interstates, there are rest stops EVERYwhere...when I got a bit confused as to how to get through the tolls, I stopped at the rest stop before them and they had a premade direction sheet telling me exactly which way to go, which tunnel to take, etc.

Also, keep an eye on your gas gage. At about 1/2 a tank, start looking for a good place to stop and fill up. You may use another 1/4 tank finding a gas station with easy access back to the interstate.

[ 03-04-2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: DragonMage ]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #19
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Make sure you know how many miles you can do on a full tank of petrol so you don't end up in the middle of nowhere sputtering on empty

And make sure to take pitstops every couple of hours or so - even if you feel okay. Like it says on my registration sticker, tired drivers die

Have a fun trip babe [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2003, 09:10 PM   #20
Animal
Gold Dragon

You might want to hit all your grease fittings with a shot of high quality grease, check your transmission fluid (that's a biggy if it's an auto. Red is good, light brown is really, really BAD!)
I think if you're unsure of what you need to do, pop in to your local mechanic and explain exactly what you're doing and get them to look it over. There are far too many minor details that really should be checked if you want to minimize the risk of a dead vehicle (or worse, the driver.)