Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Yea ok... I'm just like tripping out here.

Let me describe my system:

- Amd Athlon XP 2500
- 1024mb PC2700
- ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 mb
- 2x Maxtor Liquid bearring 8 mb cach 120 gig hds
- Epox RDA3+ mobo

This system runs on Windows 2000 Prof. service pack 4.

The problem is that I encounter goes like this:

When I'm shifting through my files (dvd-backups/mp3), my pc sometimes freezes and it takes like 20 seconds to get back to normal again.. when it freezes I can open things in the taskbar but when I try to open the map (via the taskbar) that contained like the media (dvd-back ups, movies) it says to me the map isn't responding so it will be terminated.

My question is, is this a virus? Ive run AVG virusscanner on all of my media maps/mp3 maps and also over my software/windows maps, he can't detect anything.

How can I fix this? I would hate to see my backup of dvds and mp3 collection go to waste (to straighten things up, those mp3s are also back-up files of my albums ... no warez here)

Last question, is this software or hardware wise? it freezing up...

Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. this system is 2 weeks OLD! so this shouldn't happen
Old 09-04-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sounds like you've got some swap or OS problems. What's your virtual memory set to?

When it comes back after those 20 seconds, does it respond normally? And what does "shifting through the files" mean? Are you reviewing them in an application, looking through Windows explorer, or something else?

More info, more options
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:00 PM   #3
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Quote:
What's your virtual memory set to?
Don't know, how can I check that?

Quote:
When it comes back after those 20 seconds, does it respond normally?
Yes it responds normally after that, but when I do it like 5 times in lets say a half a hour the computer totally freezes up and I need to make a hard reboot (restart button, windows taskmanager will not even pop-up when I press the ctrl-alt-delete combination)

Quote:
And what does "shifting through the files" mean? Are you reviewing them in an application, looking through Windows explorer, or something else?
I just open the directory where there in and look up the file I need, I scroll down and click on a file.. then when I click on other file in the same directory (or in an other directoy on a different harddrive) it freezes up.

Is this sufficient information?
Old 09-04-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

defrag or Speeddisk wouldn't hurt
sounds like low mem or badly organized files (i.e. high fragmentation) to me
Old 09-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Quote:
defrag or Speeddisk wouldn't hurt
What are those programs you speak of? are they to re-organise your hds?

Quote:
sounds like low mem or badly organized files (i.e. high fragmentation) to me
So you think that if I defrag my hd it will run smoother? and not glitch up and get me all freaken angry?

Low memory, how could this be? I have 1024 (2x 512mb) PC2700 modules in it.. this should be over-sufficient

[ 09-04-2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Annatar ]
Old 09-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #6
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Annatar:
What are those programs you speak of? are they to re-organise your hds?
umm [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

defragmenting your computer regularly is a must for everyone. (weekly!) if youve never done it this next time will take ages (but will be worth it!)

go to my computer

right click on a hard drive

choose properties

click the 'tools' tab

choose defragment

i think 2k uses the same system as XP. if so you should just choose a drive then click defragment. you shouldnt use the computer while its deframenting or it wont be as efficent and may even stop it working.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
What's your virtual memory set to?
Don't know, how can I check that? [/QUOTE]On my Win2k machine, right-click on my computer, select PRoperties, select Advanced, select Performance. Amount of VM is displayed, but click on the change tab. This display the range of VM. I prefer to have a fixed VM size (2-3 times actual memory, typically, but for yours, probably 1500 MB). Windows may bark, but it's not always so smart...

Quote:
quote:
When it comes back after those 20 seconds, does it respond normally?
Yes it responds normally after that, but when I do it like 5 times in lets say a half a hour the computer totally freezes up and I need to make a hard reboot (restart button, windows taskmanager will not even pop-up when I press the ctrl-alt-delete combination) [/QUOTE]Take a look at what other processes you have running. Hit ctl-alt-del to get to the task manager list, and let's take a look. Probably some gremlins in there (note that's gremlins, and not graemlins ).

Quote:
quote:
And what does "shifting through the files" mean? Are you reviewing them in an application, looking through Windows explorer, or something else?
I just open the directory where there in and look up the file I need, I scroll down and click on a file.. then when I click on other file in the same directory (or in an other directoy on a different harddrive) it freezes up. [/QUOTE]Definitely sounds memory or resource related.

Quote:
Is this sufficient information?
It's good for the first round
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:47 PM   #8
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Ok Ive defragged the my windows hd (windows,programs ect) and my media hd (that took me around 7 hours :S, its a stand-alone 120 gig hd running on fat32, should I when format my entire pc re-set this to ntfs? because all of my other partitions are running on ntfs as well ... so it should be logical to change it to ntfs to instead of fat32 ... and this is a pretty damn fast system)

It runs smoother I guess but I still wanna sort out some things:

Quote:
On my Win2k machine, right-click on my computer, select PRoperties, select Advanced, select Performance. Amount of VM is displayed, but click on the change tab. This display the range of VM. I prefer to have a fixed VM size (2-3 times actual memory, typically, but for yours, probably 1500 MB). Windows may bark, but it's not always so smart...
It is already fixed at 1536 mb (thats the recommendend size), the compagny were I bought it already did it I guess.

Quote:
Take a look at what other processes you have running. Hit ctl-alt-del to get to the task manager list, and let's take a look. Probably some gremlins in there (note that's gremlins, and not graemlins ).
Please re-define gremlins, you mean like spywarez and such sh*t? I got WinPatrol installed and a actieve Virusscanner.

Quote:
Definitely sounds memory or resource related.
If thats the case, how will this be fixed?

Thanks for your help guys...
Old 09-05-2003, 02:30 PM   #9
Zero Alpha

Quote:
should I when format my entire pc re-set this to ntfs?
you dont need to format. it is possible to convert a hard disk without formatting, although it is risky. it makes more sence to leave it as Fat32. if you are desperate though there are some tools to do the conversion in windows.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #10
Annatar
Mephistopheles

I was already planning to clean up my computer; formatting is a good and clean way to do that, and fat32 is an old OS for hds, ntfs is the newer and more efficient OS for your HD.

I know that converting from fat32 to ntfs is pretty easy, the other way around is a lot harder IMO.