Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, it's almost over, just thought i'd see if there's anyone interrested in it. I think Armstrong is gonna win his fifth in a row, unless he falls again.

Last night i saw an interview with Gerrie Kneteman that got me thinking though. He said the Ullrich should have made his move after Armstrong went down yesterday. I know Ullrich must have felt he owed it to Armstrong to hold back, since Armstrong did the same thing for him two years ago, and it says alot about Ullrich as a human being that he didn't take advantage of the situation.

BUT....

The way kneteman saw it makes sense to me too. Armstrong was riding way too close to the spectators on the right side of the road, so it's nobody's fault but his own. So Kneteman said no matter what the history is between the both of them, he would give it a go. Mistakes will always be made in the Tour, it's all part of the game.

He has a point, but Ullrich decided not to do it. Stupid ? Good sportsmanship ?

It's not over yet, but i think Ullrich won't get an opportunity like that again.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I thought the sportsmanship Jan showed was wonderful. It just shows that it's never a bad idea to do something nice because it all comes back to you in the end - Armstrong when he stopped for Jan's flat tyre, and then Jan yesterday. I'm hoping Lance wins; I'm not a big Jan fan, though I do admire the way he's come back so strongly after his past couple of terrible years. It's a wonderful tour though! Much better than last year when it wasn't all that close.

The worst thing from an Australian point of view is that Cadel Evans, who is capable of winning the thing, broke his collarbone a few weeks before it started so he couldn't ride. He was going to be a Telekon boy and everything! . I'm hoping Baden can hold onto the green jersey though this year.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:

The way kneteman saw it makes sense to me too. Armstrong was riding way too close to the spectators on the right side of the road, so it's nobody's fault but his own. So Kneteman said no matter what the history is between the both of them, he would give it a go. Mistakes will always be made in the Tour, it's all part of the game.

He has a point, but Ullrich decided not to do it. Stupid ? Good sportsmanship ?

It's not over yet, but i think Ullrich won't get an opportunity like that again.
If Ullrich had attacked at that moment, not only would Armstrong have beaten him either way, Ullrich would also have public opinion against him - if I was Ullrich, I wouldn't have wanted to make a difference that way either. Especially considering the spanking session which followed, Jan did by far the wisest thing at that point, winning reputation points for showing good sportsmanship on the way instead of losing twice, figuratively speaking.

[ 07-22-2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
If Ullrich had attacked at that moment, not only would Armstrong have beaten him either way,
Yes that's a good point. When Lance attacked later, Jan couldn't go with him. Compared to the day before when Jan attacked and got about 30 seconds advantage but Lance pulled it back to 7.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yeah, it seems that Jan was "empty" anyway, so he probably even couldn't take advantage if he wanted to.

But still, i think Kneteman made a good point. Others probably wouldn't be so merciful, even if they'd lose credit in the public opinion. I wonder what Beloki would have done in a situation like that. After all, the tour is not about building up good relationships, it's about winning.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:00 AM   #6
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

It was in fact Tyler Hamilton, Armstrongs friend and former teammate, who gestured to Ullrich and the others to slow down, but I think Ullrich would have done so anyway.
It is an unspoken "rule" that if the yellow jersey is in trouble I.E. goes down or having mechanical problems, none attacks at least temporarily, and so it should be out of respect for the one who wear it.
Anyway, it's good to see that kind of sportsmanship and fairness in an otherwise cynical world.

C
Old 07-23-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by HammerHead:
It was in fact Tyler Hamilton, Armstrongs friend and former teammate, who gestured to Ullrich and the others to slow down, but I think Ullrich would have done so anyway.
It is an unspoken "rule" that if the yellow jersey is in trouble I.E. goes down or having mechanical problems, none attacks at least temporarily, and so it should be out of respect for the one who wear it.
Anyway, it's good to see that kind of sportsmanship and fairness in an otherwise cynical world.

C
It's not only the Yellow Jersey if you're in a group with someone it's accepted that you don't attack if they fall.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:49 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Armstrong was riding way too close to the spectators on the right side of the road, so it's nobody's fault but his own.
Now I don't really agree with this. Yes he was riding close to the spectators. But the woman was leaning out to see them, and could see what path they were taking, and was slow in moving back to let him through. I think when the spectators are able to get so close to the riders it's their responsibility to make sure they don't impede them in any way. Most sports have big barricades up so the athletes are safe. They're really very vulnerable on those high mountains with so many people so excited. Lance couldn't have realised her hand was going to be still sticking out in his way.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:25 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
What can i say ? It's just not smart to ride too close to the side of the road. there will always be curious fans, who lean over a little too much. How many times did it happen that a cycler crashed into a nosy spectator ? Especially on the Champs Elysee. i know these guys have probably other things on their mind, but trying to stay in the middle of the road wouldn't harm them.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:53 AM   #10
Grojlach
Zartan

Arrow

Quote:
What can i say ? It's just not smart to ride too close to the side of the road. there will always be curious fans, who lean over a little too much. How many times did it happen that a cycler crashed into a nosy spectator ? Especially on the Champs Elysee. i know these guys have probably other things on their mind, but trying to stay in the middle of the road wouldn't harm them.
But on the Champs Elysée, there are at least fences and other kinds of barricades safeguarding the entire course...
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote