Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2001, 12:49 PM   #1
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I swear, if i see another message like this on the internet i will crack up!

"i hav 2go k? c u l8tr."

gtg, brb, afk.... these i can deal with... (just lol ). But when people start using language like the above quote it takes twice as long to read the damm thing!

And the worst thing is, when i don't use the "internet lingo" then i'm automatically classeded as a posh [censored]!

Is it cool? Trendy? Laziness? ARGHHHH!
Is it just me?

------------------
Old 08-14-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
I swear, if i see another message like this on the internet i will crack up!

"i hav 2go k? c u l8tr."

gtg, brb, afk.... these i can deal with... (just lol ). But when people start using language like the above quote it takes twice as long to read the damm thing!

And the worst thing is, when i don't use the "internet lingo" then i'm automatically classeded as a posh [censored]!

Is it cool? Trendy? Laziness? ARGHHHH!
Is it just me?

I agree. They think they are being cool, I suppose. I think they are being silly.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:54 PM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I agree totally. Not only is it more difficult to read I have to reread it twice before I am sure I have it correct. What's so hard about clackin a couple more keys? Please give old folks like me a break...LOL

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:07 PM   #4
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I agree with you. But I blame it on one of two things, or evena combination of the two.

1. SHEER LAZINESS.

2. THE INABILITY TO SPELL PROPERLY.

I think the people who do that are either lazy or dont have enough education to spell words like "later". Im not jonking in the slightest here. My 15 year old Australian step-daughter didnt know how to spell the words "allowed" = alowed, or "stopped" = stoped. Now thats a really sad statement for the education system here. I knew how to read and write when I was 3 years old. In high school I rated in the top 95 percentile in English in the entire United States And she wants to be a vet. Get REAL. I have to wonder how she would pass Veterinarian school without being able to spell anterior cruciate ligament. Gee did I spell that right??? I dont know, I'm not a doctor.

We all have trouble with some words, thats a given. But basic words like stopped, or allowed????? SAD.

Some of the abbreviations are very handy (IMO) but others are just crap. Lazy.

Anybody with me on this??

oh yeah, Eye kampt Speel fer Krap

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 01:10 PM   #5
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I am the worst speller you will ever meet in your lifetime!
But then again at least i make an attempt, and people can usually get my drift.

*It's very embarrasing when someone who speaks English as a 2nd or 3rd language can spell better than me, who speaks english nearly exclusivley *

------------------
Old 08-14-2001, 01:23 PM   #6
Moni

My older sister uses internet lingo to the extreme.
Yes, I have to read and re-read what she is saying in order to get what she means sometimes...knowing her, I would bet that she has to type it slower in order to make sure she is getting it all down right.
She thinks she is cool for it.

My son does it to be lazy. Being one who is too lazy to do more than he absolutely has to at times, conversing on the internet is one of those places where if he can get by on typing out the absolute least he has to, he will.

------------------

Pets Need Love Too

Old 08-14-2001, 01:28 PM   #7
Rikard

Isn't this SMS language?
in SMS I can understand this kinda language because of the 60 character max (or something i don't use sms)
but in other cases....
the time you save does not way(?) up to the inreadeblity

------------------

Old 08-14-2001, 01:40 PM   #8
Redblueflare
Galvatron

I know how you feel Jerome. I didn't even know what gtg, lol, or nm meant until I started playing Diablo. There are just some people who don't stay with the usual and get plain lazy. I'm sure everyone in the entire world thats passed the 2nd grade can spell the words see you. I know everyone can't type 70 words a minute, but there's no excuse to get that lazy. My friend Kenny is a horrible speller, and typist, and he still tries!

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:37 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

You think that's bad? Try reading this:

DOODZ! W3R3 CAN 1 F1ND SUM K3WL W4R3Z? 1 W4NT4 M4K3 TH3 K3WLIST P4G3 S1T3Z ON TH3 WWW W3B!!1!!11

OK, who could read that? You wouldn't believe how many lame pages I come across that have that garbage all across them. Give me LOL, L8R, etc. anyday!

Here's an example of one:

http://www.panix.com/~clays/biff

In my opinion, Biff needs some SERIOUS HELP.

------------------
Old 08-14-2001, 04:03 PM   #10
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
You think that's bad? Try reading this:

DOODZ! W3R3 CAN 1 F1ND SUM K3WL W4R3Z? 1 W4NT4 M4K3 TH3 K3WLIST P4G3 S1T3Z ON TH3 WWW W3B!!1!!11

OK, who could read that? You wouldn't believe how many lame pages I come across that have that garbage all across them. Give me LOL, L8R, etc. anyday!

Here's an example of one:

http://www.panix.com/~clays/biff

In my opinion, Biff needs some SERIOUS HELP.

What the heck is that sentence above supposed to mean? Did you ever *decode* it? It probably would've took less time if the person typed out the message. It's takes most people longer to type numbers.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.