Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2001, 11:36 AM   #1
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Since I've been in the forum I've noticed how many of the people foreign (to me)are so good at English, mainly the big groups of Dutch and the German ones.
How did you get so good????
How long have you been learning?
Did you have a choice in learning English, if so, why did you?

P.S I can speak German, but not very well
P.P.S Can't forget you French or Danes either
------------------
Resident cantankerous sorcerer of the Clan HADB
and Sorcerous Nuttella salesman of the O.R.T

Long live HADB!!!

'What doesn't kill me makes me stronger'

[This message has been edited by Talthyr Malkaviel (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old 10-26-2001, 11:38 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I've been exposed to english from age three, I learned it mainly by hanging around the computer, where almost everything was in english and by watching lots of movies with english-speaking chracters, english books have also been a big help.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:45 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Language education in Holland is quite good, but it's a big misconception that the Dutch are good at languages: they just THINK they are
Of course, there's a much larger percentage of Dutch speaking English than vice versa, and out of necessity almost every Hollander speaks at least a few words of English, French or German, but they arrogantly assume that they all speak it so very well. *rolls eyes* Well, I can tell you that the worst accents and mistakes I've ever heard, I've heard in my own country. The most common mistake that the Dutch make is translating expressions and idiosyncratic constructions literally into a foreign language resulting in -little amusing example from RL for those who speak Dutch- a businessman telling an overseas partner that "we will go into the sea with you" (huh? ).
Like I said, we do get taught pretty well in school - for the first two or three years of secondary school, children get taught Dutch, English, French and German. The first two remain obligatory for the full six or five years (depending on the level on which you study - could any Dutchie please help me out w.r.t the situation at MAVO/IVBO's?), and French and German can either be dropped at that point or also kept for the full secondary school period. Most children learn som English in the last two years of Primary School as well.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art

[This message has been edited by Melusine (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old 10-26-2001, 12:34 PM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Language education in Holland is quite good, but it's a big misconception that the Dutch are good at languages: they just THINK they are
Of course, there's a much larger percentage of Dutch speaking English than vice versa, and out of necessity almost every Hollander speaks at least a few words of English, French or German, but they arrogantly assume that they all speak it so very well. *rolls eyes* Well, I can tell you that the worst accents and mistakes I've ever heard, I've heard in my own country. The most common mistake that the Dutch make is translating expressions and idiosyncratic constructions literally into a foreign language resulting in -little amusing example from RL for those who speak Dutch- a businessman telling an overseas partner that "we will go into the sea with you" (huh? ).

Well, there's still a difference between writing English and speaking it fluently. For example, my own writing skills are absolutely superior to my linguistic skills; practice makes perfect, but while I spend time on International Internetforums every day (positive stimulant to English writing skills), I hardly speak English in daily life, and the few times I do, I'm surprised by my own horrible accent and awful direct translations from dutch; while I'm writing, I can think in English, but that's not the case during real life conversations for some reason. It's something chemical in your brain I think, to apply your wide grammatical and stylistic knowledge of a certain language successfully to a fluent conversation, but it certainly needs practice, experience.

------------------
Not a member of any clan and is cool with that.
Talk about anything you want at The Elysium.
For online roleplaying, check The Elysium Gaming Project.

[This message has been edited by Grojlach (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old 10-26-2001, 12:39 PM   #5
Rikard

I actually talk English with a Brittish Accent
And it Rocks
my teacher just doesn;t like it but she's weird
We are basicly forced to learn english but as Mel said
Dutch Have THE WORSE accents
unbelieveble...

------------------

Old 10-26-2001, 02:56 PM   #6
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Yep we sure have good accents I grew up with my computer and we have, as Mel said, good education (not only in languages!!).

------------------

Lady Menqel, Protector of IW's, smiter of evil

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
- Dualled Swashbuckler/Fighter
- Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
- Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
- Thanks to Sazerac for the great sig picture
Old 10-26-2001, 02:57 PM   #7
MagiK

Ya know...them accents are sooooooooo sexxxxxxy

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 10-26-2001, 03:07 PM   #8
Blade
Emerald Dragon

I wish the US had a language program like that i have really wanted to learn danish, but there are no classes about it

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 10-26-2001, 03:09 PM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
I wish the US had a language program like that i have really wanted to learn danish, but there are no classes about it
Someone wants to learn danish? Why? I really can't imagine anyone wanting to move to this awfully boring place.

Old 10-26-2001, 04:20 PM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I've been exposed to english from age three, I learned it mainly by hanging around the computer, where almost everything was in english and by watching lots of movies with english-speaking chracters, english books have also been a big help.
Yup, same for me.