Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #21
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Violet:

It's my guess that she had other problems that caused the pneumonia to be overlooked (like a drug addiction).
Now we're gonna start blaming her for this tragedy, by saying that she's a druggie or something like that?

That is rather mean, don't ya think?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #22
Link
Jack Burton

Not blaming, I would say. Speculating about the possible causes of missing the pneumonia. There's a big difference between the two things, Larry.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:01 AM   #23
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I found a little more information about what happened. Notice that it says they tried three different hospitals, and the third one was the one that got it right.

Quote:
The actress who was famously smashed in the face by a volleyball in the Meet The Parents comedy died last month after two medics misdiagnosed her pneumonia. Nicole DeHuff, who played Teri Polo's sister in the hilarious 2000 movie, checked into three Los Angeles hospitals, but only when her problems became inoperable did doctors realize what was wrong with her. The actress' mother Patsie says, "By the time she reached the third hospital, it was too late. She was unconscious." The grieving mother reveals her daughter was rushed to hospital on February 12 but was sent home by medics and told to take painkiller Tylenol. Patsie DeHuff recalls, "The next day my daughter was worse." Again, the actress went to hospital, but this time medics prescribed antibiotics for bronchitis. Two days later, paramedics rushed to her home after she collapsed, gasping for breath. The tragic actress died on February 16
www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-03-10/

And then this website adds that a staph infection was what contributed to some of the problem. Where they get that, I don't know, and since they are the only ones that are saying it, I don't know if they are worthy of trust, but there it is.

http://www.einsiders.com/features/co...obituaries.php
Old 03-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #24
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I think it's fair to say that nobody here knows the situation well enough to make a fair assessment.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #25
Violet
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:

It's my guess that she had other problems that caused the pneumonia to be overlooked (like a drug addiction).

Now we're gonna start blaming her for this tragedy, by saying that she's a druggie or something like that?

[/QUOTE]You've got to be kidding?!
Is that how you operate, blaming people who abuse drugs for their problems?

Quote:
Being "brushed off" would certainly constitute negligence on the part of the medical personnel who attended to her.

That is hardly blaming her.

You know I've talked quite a bit about the circumstances which took this woman's life to various friends of mine (some of whom are medical professionals) and not one could come up with any scenario other than abuse of herion or morphine that could have constituted her being left untreated, not even ignorance (she wasn't even x-rayed? That's a fairly standard procedure for ER's).
Then top it off with her family not pursuing litigation for improper treatment - yes it is speculation and yes, no one here really knows this situation well enough to make a fair assessment but a couple of dozen well and highly educated people in my circle of friends and associates concur - it probably was a drug addiction or prior known instances of drug abuse (specifically herion or morphine, both relatively standard recreational drugs in L.A.) that ended up costing her the attention she needed to save her life (it could even be what made her sick to begin with).

That hardly makes her at fault for negligence on the part of medical personnel though!

[ 03-22-2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Violet ]
[img]\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VioletMcKeever/AniV.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />A Man With Poetry On His Lips Also Has Wings On His Heart<br />The Harder You Run From Your Dreams, The Harder They Run After You<br />I Am Not A Human Having Spiritual Experiences, I Am A Spirit Having Human Experiences<br />Smart As A Whip; Heart Of Gold; Tough As Nails; Lost In The Woods
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #26
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:

[/QUOTE]You've got to be kidding?!
Is that how you operate, blaming people who abuse drugs for their problems?
That is rather mean, don't ya think?[/QUOTE]

Except for the rare cases where druggies were forced into addiction (a rare case) it is their choice and they should be held accountable for that choice, so yes, I do blame them for their addiction.

The few cases I've heard where it wasn't a personal choice was in afganistan where militia fighters were captured, drugged with heroine and forced to fight against friends and former allies if they wanted more (which of course due to addiction, they did). I know there are other less extreme cases, but in nearly all situations drug abuse is a personal choice, just like smoking, drinking, gambling, etc etc.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #27
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Violet, I do not understand your response to me and cannot respond in-kind.

Did Morgie answer the question for me?

Sorry; not being rude...I just need elaboration. Maybe I should not read IW posts until after I have had dinner! Lol!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #28
Violet
Manshoon

IF she was an actual addict, yes, for that she and only she can hold any blame. After all, in this country, and in L.A. in particular people aren't forced to do drugs they choose to, usually being completely aware of the potential consequences.
If she suffered neglect from medical professionals because her symptoms were mistaken for symptoms of drug addiction, she is NOT at fault, whether she used or not. I feel that she was subject to gross neglect even if drug abuse is what led to her illness.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VioletMcKeever/AniV.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />A Man With Poetry On His Lips Also Has Wings On His Heart<br />The Harder You Run From Your Dreams, The Harder They Run After You<br />I Am Not A Human Having Spiritual Experiences, I Am A Spirit Having Human Experiences<br />Smart As A Whip; Heart Of Gold; Tough As Nails; Lost In The Woods
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #29
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, okay. I think I agree with that statement.

Thanks!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #30
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

ditto
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote