Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 PM   #11
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I'm not racist, I try not to think like that, but here in central America, it's rather.. well, insane. I live in an apartment complex and the family across the whole from me has quite literally doubled and you can't go into a restaurant or fast food place without seeing some working there.

They do not bother me as much, because the fact is I don't have a job yet, though I was going to work in inventory (machinery, stocking, etc) but then I blew out my knee. It's the fact... that they're nice people, but it really gets under my skin when they do things like, steal clothes out of other people's dryers.

(Had that happened once, came in the next day, layed down the clothes and ran like you wouldn't believe and I thought, what the hell?)

Had a couple of cases of illegal imigrants in Louisville, had an entire factory of them as a matter of fact working for bar none. It's slave trade is all it is, but with the way things are in Mexico, they can make a lot for making little to none over here.

[ 08-20-2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 08-20-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh Pauly! I remember you saying it was getting tougher to find contracts and they were underbidding you. I just cannot understand why someone who wants work done, would hire people at that rate and NOT expect subpar work! Besides, no consolation to you, I'm sure, but me- I'd only hire legit workers if it were my job.

I sincerely hope something good comes up for you soon!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:53 PM   #13
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

For the last week I have been fixing work done by our superb craftsman from farther south than the US for the great price of $15/hour per man. That includes me. Considering the lowest man on my payroll makes $14/hour I think we can see where things are going.

For quite a few years here if you spoke up against this publicly you were labeled "racist" for trying to defend your job. The people who thought that did not understand the extent of what is happening. Well they do now. All the nice computer jobs are being outsourced to India, China, Phillipines, etc. When you call customer support you arent calling in the US anymore. In my state of North Carolina the state food stamp program and several other things of that type are not even handles here. They are outsourced to....yes India. WTF is wrong with this greedy short-sighted country and our absolutlely useless ELECTED politicians. Oh yea its money, they make more nevermind. We dont count
Old 08-20-2003, 08:05 PM   #14
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I really am sorry to hear what's happened LoA, it effects all of us in some way.

I'm sorry if this does offend anybody, but it's not my intention. Make no mistake, I do love the USA but how the goverment is running it has been nothing short of poorly. Bush sends over the sons and daughters of so many here, takes a loan of $70 million dollars for more war equipment so he allows more people from other countries (Mexico, India, so forth) to work for dirt cheap to make up for the lost money. Like I said, it's a slave trade.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:07 PM   #15
cormack
Dungeon Master

I can tell you that that crew of workers I supervise need babysitting bad. Money and low-bid contracts go together. Outsourcing and keeping key managers to direct them seems to be the current job movement of choice here so my son tells me.
From what I have experienced with brother contractors is that you should now talk to a few investors, bankers, and realitors about getting parcells of land and then building a nice place and putting it for sale. Thus splitting the difference with them and since you will co-ordinate all the work the beer will taste that much better upon recipe. Builders charge 90$-150$ square foot per house. Good luck LOA!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:15 PM   #16
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Cormack I would do that but the bankers want you to have the lot already before they will finance the spec house. If I could I would start one tomorrow and have it ready in 4 months
Old 08-20-2003, 10:23 PM   #17
SecretMaster
Apophis

Really sry to hear that LoA.

I think its time every country starts cracking down and placing a limit on how many kids you can have (sry If i offend anyone). Seriously, its getting outta hand, there are lots and lots of people, and we are only getting bigger...
Old 08-21-2003, 03:01 AM   #18
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Sorry to hear that LoA.. :S

A real bummer.

I don't know enough to give you advice, but in situations like this in other branches they try to specialize. Is there such an oppurtunity for your business? To specialize and maybe market a better quality or higher craftmanship or something? Maybe offer something the others can't etc.. :S

I donnu. Seems liek a really really tough situation and I wish you the best of luck buddy!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-21-2003, 06:02 AM   #19
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
posted by LOA:
For the last week I have been fixing work done by our superb craftsman from farther south than the US for the great price of $15/hour per man. That includes me. Considering the lowest man on my payroll makes $14/hour I think we can see where things are going.

For quite a few years here if you spoke up against this publicly you were labeled "racist" for trying to defend your job. The people who thought that did not understand the extent of what is happening. Well they do now. All the nice computer jobs are being outsourced to India, China, Phillipines, etc. When you call customer support you arent calling in the US anymore. In my state of North Carolina the state food stamp program and several other things of that type are not even handles here. They are outsourced to....yes India. WTF is wrong with this greedy short-sighted country and our absolutlely useless ELECTED politicians. Oh yea its money, they make more nevermind. We dont count
sorry to hear that LOA. but with the globalization trend, I guess its kinda cheaper for them to look elsewhere . Philippines is one of them. Hey alot of filipino's work around 2 dollars a day in the Philippines. That is why making it just 5 dollars for them would be heaven to alot of people over there. I hate it when other people lose thier jobs though . just wish you luck and hope for the best.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #20
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

LoA

Having a Steel Fabrication & Erection business - I know exactly what you are going through. My guys all thought that the "union" pay was this and they should be getting better than union pay (which when you add up benies, vacations, no dues, etc..we were paying way better). The union could only give them limited hours (for the older guys) and didn't give the same pay to the younger ones (no incentive). No company trucks came with the union LOL.

Hey - I gave up my paycheck so that the guys could get paid sometimes. But I found better suppliers and better terms and didn't become sole contractor. Had to lay people off and sell equipment. Work around the clock. But you know what? The reason those people come to the US is the same reason you and I went into business in the first place - opportunity. You can hire yourself out to another company as project manager! Or do what you like to do and QYB : [img]smile.gif[/img] Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can do to help.