Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I installed and played Starcraft for the first time in a few years last night, in hopes of getting some experience before SC2 comes out. I was never good to begin with, but I hoped to at least be somewhat competitive after playing some Warcraft 3 and other RTS games.

I beat my friend in our warm-up game, but then promptly lost horribly to the first person online that I faced. I was playing Terran against his Protoss, and was immediately driven onto the defensive by zealot and reaver rushes. I bunkered up and made a missile turret perimeter, but was then overwhelmed by a big carrier attack for the game.

Afterwards, I checked the score logs. The telltale statistic was that he had mined nearly 5 times as many resources as I had, obviously due to my failure to establish more bases. I tried to expand outside the starting area, but was always foiled by small rushes by his units, denying me extra resources.

So, does anyone have any tips for an aspiring Starcraft player, such as when to branch out, what kind of units to build early, etc.? I'm most comfortable playing Terran, though I'm open to try a different race if it would be better.

Thanks in advance!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Tip number one: (and this one is REALLY important)

*Don't play Starcraft online [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tip number two:

*If for some reason you do have to play online, play as the Protoss, and NEVER play against them [img]tongue.gif[/img]

80% of the people who play the game online, play a hell of a lot more than you can/will ever want to and no offence, but it's very hard for most of us to beat them [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Strongly consider replaying the campaigns. If it has been a few years since you last played, then a lot of the units have been drastically altered in terms of Unit Statistics (due to patches).

The storyline may remain the same, but the unit dynamics will be different this time. Use this opportunity to get used to them.

Defeat online is inevitable if you are not familiar with all the new changes (and there has been a LOT of them in the past few years).

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

This game is all about micromanaging. If you can get those marines working together while you siege tanks are deploying one at a time you'll get there. Put in some science vessels emp blasting their shields and you've got yourself a winner.

If you don't have the reflexes and speed, dont even bother. This game is too fast for me.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely replay the campaign ASAP. I'm decent at micromanaging, though not so great at timing EMP blasts and such...

I like my Terran homies . Well, things change. I'll try out some Protoss later.

I'm going to LAN it up with some local friends tonight. We'll see how that goes.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

EMP works great against Protoss: no more shields in an instant.