Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2001, 12:56 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Tarweed: no worry about flames here. This is a virtual "asbestos" board without the danger of asbestosis! I know what you mean about some boards; you can't post anything without igniting a flame. I think our group is a lot more mature than what's on most boards (e.g., no prepubescent budding sociopaths like over at battle.net).

My group's names are disgustingly conventional:

Sigir (currently a barbarian, has been Samurai, Paladin, and Warrior)
Daevi (currently an Assassin, has been Bard, Ranger, and Rogue)
Kris (currently a Ninja, has been Warlock and Wizard, will eventually become a Zenmaster)
Sylvia (currently a Samurai, has been Warlock and Priest, will eventually become a Valkyrie)

All of them are human. On my next playthrough, I plan to do a all non-human party.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 12:57 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

hehehe Great idea for a thread, Tarweed!!

(and we don't allow flame wars here unless it's with Mantraps!)

Moni - LOL!!!! too clever!!!

Whenever I play an rpg - I will have a Lothar as a fighter character, a Manfred as a wizard, a Ma'eldra as a healer, a Ratter or Laurel as a rogue which generally leaves me two slots to be creative with new names!

Now - the next question might be - what is the source of these names?? In my own case the names are either those of a set of stuffed lions for which we have numerous stories for my son (Lothar and Manfred) while Ma'eldra, Ratter and Laurel are all characters that I played in online chat RPGs over the years.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 12:59 AM   #3
Lord Roberts

Hey Dwight

That name Tars Tarkus - Was it from a novel? If so, witch one.

Well I like to have friends and family along when I go adventuring so heres mine:

Lord Roberts: Human/Warrior/Paladin--Male
T-L : Dwarf/Warrior/Paladin/Valkrie--Female
Jamie : Human/Preist /Monk /Zenmaster--Male
Janelle : Wiskas/Warrior/Samuri---Female
Lino : Humam/Rogue/Ninja/Assassin--Male
Cathy : Elf/Wizard/Warlock--Female---MRS LORD ROBERTS!!( BOSS )
Old 02-10-2001, 08:23 AM   #4
Tarweed

I thought it might be nice to see what other people name their characters AND why.
So I will start off.

BOAZ: Barbarian, Lizzord, male: just sounds appropriate
CLEO: Samarai, Whiskahs, female: named after my cat
SHIVA: Paladin, Human, female: Indian god of something, portrait fits
FARGO: Warlock, Human, male: a private joke
ALBERTO: Monk, Oomphaz, male: from a science fiction story (agile elephants?)
EMILY: Assasin, Ratling, female: my daughter's name.

Hey, this is one of the best boards I have found. I hope I don't get any flames from this post.

Cheers, Tarweed
Old 02-10-2001, 09:06 AM   #5
Moni

Flames? Nah!!! Not when we have meteorstorm! (j/k)

I posted this in another thread a while back but I thought I'd get brave and post it here in case you wanted to laugh or roll your eyes. ; )

It was a day of EXTREME boredom & lack of imagination had set in (from too much pot roast no doubt) and when I sat down to create characters I did not want to repeat myself and name them after my cats like I did when replaying the older Wizardry games last spring SO...here goes, (& feel free to laugh!)...Dude, Dude!, Oh Man!, Geez, Duuude, & finally, Way Dude!
Can you hear them talking to each other?
"Dude!"
"What?"
"No not you! Check it out it's one of those Amazoni Mantraps!"
"Oh Man!"
"What?"
"No not you! The Amazoni Mantrap! We have to fight another one!"
"No Way Dude!
"Way Dude!"
"What?"
"Not you! The Amazoni Mantrap! How are you on mana in your book of Fire?"
"Pretty low, we could be in trouble!"
"No way! Oh man!"
"What?"
"No Dude, the MAntrap, the fire spells may run low!"
"Duuude No way!"
"No way what I didn't do anything!"
"No not you! The Mantrap! Do you have any fire bombs?"
"No"
"On no Dude it saw us! Here it comes!"
"Oh geez are we in trouble!"
"What? What'd I do?"
"Not you! It's an Amazoni Mantrap! Run!"
LMAO, I found so much humor in it that I left the names intact & played through the whole game with them!
: )
Moni

They are all human...3 started out as warriors, one of which ascended to PAladin, the other two, Samurai. Geez was a Priest gone Zenmaster, Duuude was a thief who turned Ninja and later became an assassin and Way Dude was a Wizard/Warlock.
Old 02-10-2001, 11:47 AM   #6
Pdwight
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Crocus Dwarf Warior now Samurai
Fipth Ompah Mage
Pitot Human Priest Palidan
Tars Tarkas Lizzard warior
Hobbs Wiskas Thief
Pombah Swine type..warrior

Dwight P
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 01:14 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, duh...I just realized that you wanted to find out HOW we came up with the names, so here goes again:

Sigir: More of a Nordic-sounding name. I always like to have a Norse warrior represented in the party.

Daevi: I needed a rakish-sounding name for a Thief, and Davy was too commonplace, so I just rearranged some letters to come up with it.

Kris: Again, a northern-type name, more appropriate for a Wizard (he started out as a wizard, even though he's a Ninja now)

Sylvia: I've always liked the name; also sounds appropriate for a Valkyrie (which is her end goal). Sad to say, Northern female names sound so harsh (like Hjordis, etc.) I did consider Swanhilda, but rejected it for being a little too high-brow. As I'm fond of saying, you can be a Highbrow and get full of Art and Culture, but I'm going to be a "Half-brow" (Hofbrau) and get full of beer instead.

Sorry about the repost. That's what happens when you're posting in one window and working in another (building curricula for a web master program here at our school, sheesh.)

-Sazerac
Old 02-10-2001, 01:17 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Tarweed: one other thing:

"Shiva" is the Hindu god of Death/Rebirth. He is married to Kali, the goddess of destruction and darkness. Shiva is supposedly benign, but Kali is generally considered to be a malignant, although necessary, force; much like a surgeon's scapel is necessary.

Shiva forms a trinity with two other gods: Brahma and Vishnu.

-Sazerac
Old 02-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

There is nothing benign about Shiva!! My niece asked if I would take care of her cat Shiva who had taken to pestering my niece's much older cats. Shiva was a holy terror, so I renamed her Sheeba. Now she acts queenly (aloof from the other cats) but doesn't go around destroying things any more!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:33 PM   #10
ostrich

TishFire-M-> Human--> Warrior--> Paladin-->Barbarian-->Ranger
Ted-M-> Whiskahs--> Warrior-->Samurai,Barbarian-->Ranger
Bitch-F-> Elf--> Priest-->Warlock--> Paladin
AmberSilk-F-> Elf--> Wizard-->Monk-->Barbarian-->Ranger
Roden-M-> Ratling--> Rogue--> Barb--> Ranger-->Barbarian--> paladin
Winny-F-> Pixie--> Rogue-->Ninja-->Barbarian-->Ranger

hmm??

I was playing the game half way before i came to this forum, then only i realise that i could actually change class So right now i am getting everyone to learn as much skills as possible but of coz to learn different skills each in order not to waste their slots on same skills