Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 07:29 PM   #1
Northraven
Manshoon

I'm pondering making a Human Fighter and dualing to a Cleric but I have a few questions first:

1.Will my character be able to select high-level abilities from just the cleric pool or from both the cleric and fighter pools?

2.Will a dual-class cleric be able to become a specialty priest? ie. can I do the Cleric stronghold quest with him?

3.At what level would people suggest that I make the move over to cleric. I'm thinking of doing it right at the start of the game as I will have all the proficencies that I need at lvl 7 and I will have to use the cleric's THACO anyway after some point...

thanks in advance for any help/advice [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:12 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

1) You can get the HLAs from whatever class you just leveled up in - so no, you wont be able to access the originals classes HLAs unless you dualed past level 20 - which would be daft IMHO.

2)no

3) Once you regain your fighter abilities youll be able to put 5 slots in per weapon (as i understand it), but youll be earning those slots as a cleric (once per four levels instead of three). Anyway id be tempted to wait to level 9 or 12 to switch, that way i could put slots in weapon styles. If you wait to level 13 you gainan extra 1/2 attack i think. Id do it at level 15 myself.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:04 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Consulting with the Xp table. I have found out that level 13 is just nice. You get most of the benefits of the fighter class, and still gain all the possible spell slots had you been a pureclass Cleric.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just a word of correction: andrewas, you are right in that a dual-class character cannot become a specialty priest, but that does not preclude them from getting a Priest stronghold. The temple will be based upon the alignment of the character: a good Fighter/Cleric will get Lathander's temple, a neutral Fighter/Cleric will get Helm's temple, and an evil fighter-cleric will get Talos' temple.

They are also eligible to get De'Arnise Hold instead, if they wish.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:31 PM   #5
Ctenas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Are you sure you can´t become a priest with higher levels of proificience in a weapon? I have a Thief/Fighter dual class (7th level fighter that becomes a thief) that has grand mastery in long sword (5 slot points).

I believe too that most players that use dual class i this game do so because the fighting abilities of the othe characters is very bad. If you like a priest that is useful as a tank, I recomend becoming a priest at the start of the game, before earning any xp. This way you´ll quickly enable your fighter capacities and quickly too become a decent priest (believe when I say that playing this game with a first level anything in the party is very rough)
Ctenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:53 PM   #6
Wynne
Dungeon Master

Dual-classed fighters CAN, in fact, achieve grandmastery. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2002, 02:02 PM   #7
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

1) You will only be able to select HLAs from your active class. Thus, a fighter dualed to a cleric will only choose Cleric HLAs with each level-up, but a multi-class fighter/cleric can choose from a combined fighter and cleric HLA pool. (b/c both classes are active)

3) dual-classing screws over proficiency points. If you have hammer+++++ and then dual to a cleric, you can't get the hammer+++++ back until the fighter class reactivates. IMHO, that is the worst part about dual-classing. It's like if a dwarven master axer becomes a butcher and suddenly can't use the simplest of axes correctly. weird. I advise using Shadowkeeper to give yourself the lost proficiency points after the fighter class reactivates.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:46 PM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Another reason to wait until at least 10th level before dualing over is HIT POINTS! Fighters get 1d10hp per level (thru lvl 9), clerics only get 1d8. After 9th level, fighters just get 3/lvl and clerics get 2/lvl.

MAX OUT THOSE HIT POINTS AND FIGHTING ABILITIES!