Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2003, 02:24 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

This story is a real tear-jerker, or it was for me.

This is the full article:
http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101030623/story.html

Quote:
On the same summer day that 6-year-old Catie Hoch beat her own personal best jumping rope—100 in a row—the doctors discovered that the pain in her side was coming from a tumor on her kidney. "In that split second," her mother Gina Peca remembers, "your whole life changes. You're going along safety-proofing your house and trying to feed your kids the right food, thinking you have control over their safety, and you don't."

There was even less control over the course of the next two years as the cancer spread, through seven rounds of chemo, three operations on Catie's lungs and one on her liver. It was during that time that Gina began to read aloud the first three books about a schoolboy wizard named Harry Potter, who knew something about fighting fierce, deadly enemies. Maybe that's why, when they took the train from their home in upstate New York to New York City for treatment, Catie wore a red cape, red lightning-shaped scar on her forehead, a wand and big black glasses. She was ready for anything.

In January 2000, when it seemed as if her treatment options had run out, Catie was back home, her chances of living to read Book 4 looking very slim. That is when an e-mail arrived from someone in Britain who had heard about the 8-year-old girl in New York who loved Harry so much. "I am working very hard on Book 4 at the moment," the author confided, and she talked about the chapter she was writing, how the werewolf professor Lupin was one of her favorite characters, and about some new creatures who would be making their debut. "This is all TOP SECRET," she warned, so Catie could tell her family but nobody else, "or you'll be getting an owl from the Ministry of Magic for giving our secrets away to Muggles." It was signed, "With Lots of Love, J.K. Rowling (Jo to anybody in Gryffindor)."

Over the next days and weeks, Catie wrote to her new friend about her birthday party; her friends; her new dog, Potter Gryffindor Hoch (the first name after Harry's surname and the middle one after the dormitory house in which he lives at school). She seemed to be getting stronger, brighter, in her excitement about her new pen pal. Jo wrote back at length, typing from her home in Scotland as the windows rattled in the January gales. "It's a bit spooky," she wrote one night. "I sleep at the top of the house (like Ron) and when it's stormy like tonight I keep waking up wondering what creaked ... you see, I'm not as brave as Harry—if you told me there was a gigantic snake wandering around at night where I was living, I'd hide under the bedclothes and let someone else sort it out." Jo was candid about other things that frightened her. "I don't mind talking to big groups of people your age at all, because you ask interesting questions, but talking to adults scares me."

Gina watched the friendship unfold, watched a stuffed owl and a toy ginger cat arrive in the mail as gifts. "I couldn't believe it when the first e-mail arrived, but what I really couldn't believe was that they kept it up," she says. "This wasn't a once or twice 'I heard a little girl was sick, and I sent a get-well note.' To me it was a relationship. I don't know what Jo was thinking, but she was taking time out of a very, very busy schedule to write precious e-mails to Catie."
-snip-

When the moment comes that parents must trust their children's hearts to another, they pray that whoever fills that space—a teacher, a coach, a character in a book—will be worthy of the power and will use it well. A month after Catie Hoch's ninth birthday, doctors found that the cancer had spread to her brain and that she had only a few weeks left. That was when the phone rang.

Over the next few days, Rowling read aloud to Catie from Book 4, which was finally finished but would not be released until summer. "She was lying on the couch," Gina says, remembering how her daughter was transported, "just listening and listening." The family resisted putting the call on the speaker phone. "That was Catie's time with Jo," Gina says. "We didn't want to intrude on their privacy." The last few times Rowling called, Catie was too sick to come to the phone. She drifted into a coma and died on May 18, 2000.

Rowling wrote to her parents three days later. "I consider myself privileged to have had contact with Catie," she wrote. "I can only aspire to being the sort of parent both of you have been to Catie during her illness. I am crying so hard as I type. She left footprints on my heart all right." Catie's parents established the Catie Hoch Foundation to help young cancer patients. In November a check for $100,000 appeared, from Catie's favorite English friend.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:29 AM   #2
Finn
The Magister

Thanks for sharing that. Dang, where is a kleenex when you need one?

[ 06-18-2003, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Finn ]
Old 06-18-2003, 05:50 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I ugh (sniff) yeah - good story dude [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2003, 06:01 AM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That is a very touching story, Chewbacca. Thank you very much for sharing it.

It goes to show that J. K. Rowling is truly a class act. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2003, 06:11 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

That's a nice one. it's good to know that J. K. Rowling care for people.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 AM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

That was the most touching story I have read in a long time. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

That was bittersweet [img]smile.gif[/img]

It goes to show famous people are just real people.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 AM   #8
MagiK

You bastard! I'm at work, and how the heck can I go out of my cube all
tearey eyed and blubbery...

sounds to me like JK has a verry good heart...good read Chewie bad timing

Old 06-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am sending this to all the people that think that she is evil and trying to hurt little kids. Living in the Bible Belt and liking H.P. is not easy.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:45 AM   #10
Sigmar
Unicorn

Nice to read something that makes me proud to be a human being for once. What a kind gesture on J.K Rowling's part, good stuff.