Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Has anyone tried it yet? I was thinking of upgrading but I only just got my current Firefox (1.5.0.7) working perfectly so I might hold off.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i didnt even know that existed. what are the features for it?

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I just installed it today. [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] Quite a big change in feel from my previous v1.0.7 version. Spent the better part of the day exploring the various add-ons needed to make it similar to my previous version( or make it better).

It's fun! I absolutely love the auto-dictionary support. A bit annoyed by the loss of the close tab button in the upper right corner, but there was a readily available add-on to solve that issue, so no problem there now.

I will probably be tinkering around with this version over the next few days. Make it better, faster, and more powerful than before. [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:21 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
i didnt even know that existed. what are the features for it?
What's New in Firefox 2

Visual Refresh: Firefox 2's theme and user interface have been updated to improve usability without altering the familiarity of the browsing experience.

Built-in phishing protection: Phishing Protection warns users when they encounter suspected Web forgeries, and offers to return the user to their home page. Phishing Protection is turned on by default, and works by checking sites against either a local or online list of known phishing sites. This list is automatically downloaded and regularly updated when the Phishing Protection feature is enabled.

Enhanced search capabilities: Search term suggestions will now appear as users type in the integrated search box when using the Google, Yahoo! or Answers.com search engines. A new search engine manager makes it easier to add, remove and re-order search engines, and users will be alerted when Firefox encounters a website that offers new search engines that the user may wish to install.

Improved tabbed browsing: By default, Firefox will open links in new tabs instead of new windows, and each tab will now have a close tab button. Power users who open more tabs than can fit in a single window will see arrows on the left and right side of the tab strip that let them scroll back and forth between their tabs. The History menu will keep a list of recently closed tabs, and a shortcut lets users quickly re-open an accidentally closed tab.

Resuming your browsing session: The Session Restore feature restores windows, tabs, text typed in forms, and in-progress downloads from the last user session. It will be activated automatically when installing an application update or extension, and users will be asked if they want to resume their previous session after a system crash.

Previewing and subscribing to Web feeds: Users can decide how to handle Web feeds (like this one), either subscribing to them via a Web service or in a standalone RSS reader, or adding them as Live Bookmarks. My Yahoo!, Bloglines and Google Reader come pre-loaded as Web service options, but users can add any Web service that handles RSS feeds.

Inline spell checking: A new built-in spell checker enables users to quickly check the spelling of text entered into Web forms (like this one) without having to use a separate application.

Live Titles: When a website offers a microsummary (a regularly updated summary of the most important information on a Web page), users can create a bookmark with a "Live Title". Compact enough to fit in the space available to a bookmark label, they provide more useful information about pages than static page titles, and are regularly updated with the latest information. There are several websites that can be bookmarked with Live Titles, and even more add-ons to generate Live Titles for other popular websites.

Improved Add-ons manager: The new Add-ons manager improves the user interface for managing extensions and themes, combining them both in a single tool.

JavaScript 1.7: JavaScript 1.7 is a language update introducing several new features such as generators, iterators, array comprehensions, let expressions, and destructuring assignments. It also includes all the features of JavaScript 1.6.

Extended search plugin format: The Firefox search engine format now supports search engine plugins written in Sherlock and OpenSearch formats and allows search engines to provide search term suggestions.

Updates to the extension system: The extension system has been updated to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.

Client-side session and persistent storage: New support for storing structured data on the client side, to enable better handling of online transactions and improved performance when dealing with large amounts of data, such as documents and mailboxes. This is based on the WHATWG specification for client-side session and persistent storage.

SVG text: Support for the svg:textpath specification enables SVG text to follow a curve or shape.

New Windows installer: Based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, the new Windows installer resolves many long-standing issues.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Basically, they're trying to make it look more like IE7.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Whats new? Lots of new cool stuff.

And so far, about 23 crashes
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

But then you can restore the pages you were looking at, so every cloud...
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:

Good grief, I doubt it's the web-browser's fault. After the last installation of an add-on, my FireFox has been running for nearly 24hrs already with no fault. Did you do a default installation? Have you clean up your system recently?

One thing I like about v2.0( compared to v1.0.7) is that it seems to accumulate less memory space when running continuously.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:

Good grief, I doubt it's the web-browser's fault. After the last installation of an add-on, my FireFox has been running for nearly 24hrs already with no fault. Did you do a default installation? Have you clean up your system recently?

One thing I like about v2.0( compared to v1.0.7) is that it seems to accumulate less memory space when running continuously.

Cheers.
[/QUOTE]Yep, brand spanking new on a work laptop

It may have something to do with the settings I have change to get it working on the domain, but it hasn't been too pleasant (then again, Firefox 1.5 had plenty of issues too)

But I'm glad they are addressing the memory issue, as that's one of the major things that is stopping me from using firefox as my default browser.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote