Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #51
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

"Us"?

She had said that there were more than just her on this mission. Where then were her fellows?

"I thought you had come alone! I was not surprised, but I am glad to hear that the city is taking us a bit more seriously now."

Of course, she figured he'd just be in the way, for only somebody wearing the rainment of a royal guard has enough brain power to find a clue...

"Yes, I intend on supplying you everything you need to solve this mystery. Remember, I have more at stake here than you. Shall we talk now, or do you want to wait until we're in the company of your team?"

Finally...the royal guard had sent some worthy assistance and taken this matter seriously. They probably had begun to fear, lest this strange plague spread to their own doors.
It figures.

[ 06-17-2006, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-17-2006, 01:35 AM   #52
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Team. A smirk was dangerously close to her lips when she heard his words, but she quelled it with a forced cough.

"My original plan had been to meet my colleague back at the tavern about 2 hours from now, after I'd spoken to you." She paused slightly, before resuming. "Your participation in the search, however, changes the dynamics of the situation." Poor fool... I hope you've harvested enough, to compensate for your losses in the coming months. "Let's head back to the tavern right now, and you can fill me in on the details along the way. I will relay to my partner what you inform me, at the appropriate moment. That way, we can save some time." Sighing, she beckoned him to follow her.

Oh, captain, you are a cunning one. She grit her teeth as they set off on their return journey. Curse you for leading a gullible youth on. A pebble groaned and rolled away as her frustrated foot connected with itself in the rear.

And curse you, for toying with the feelings of those whose lives are worth more than your puny one...

[ 06-17-2006, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #53
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Jared accompanied this soldier back to town while he told her of the previous disappearances in the order in which they happened through the time in which his own mother had gone missing. He made sure to note that none of the disappearances seemed to have any relation to one another except that none had taken place inside the actual village, between the buildings. It appeared that whatever was happening, it was happening to those that had to walk home through forests or fields, and there were never any witnesses to any of the events. People seemed to be alone when they went missing. It did not matter if it was day or night.

He also stressed that animals sometimes got restless for no apparent reason but trappers had never been able to find any clues as to what was going on, though two trappers had also been lost to the strangeness.

Sometimes farm animals also went missing, but no carcasses were ever found. For those that knew, it even appeared that there were less birds these days. Those that hunt were having a poor season so meat was a luxery these days.

On the way into town, Jared excused himself to speak to a youth half his age. He told the boy to tend his fields for him along with his brothers, and he'd let them keep a fourth of what they harvested while he was away. The boy was excited and ran home to tell his Pa about the job he'd just acquired.

Turning back to the woman soldier, he indicated the tavern a couple buildings to the right.

"There's the tavern. Before we go in, I just wanted to ask you...you're the one in charge, right? I mean...well...what am I supposed to be calling you? I don't know much about rank and all."
Old 06-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #54
Leafblade

ooc: I'm back. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Scowling at his drink, Rehan wasn't surprised all the previous mercenaries had come back empty handed. The only clues and bits of information he could gather were that people and animals went missing. No one ever saw what it was that did it, and once someone was taken you never saw him or her again. Something was bothering him though.

A man in the far corner of the tavern sat back against the wall amongst the shadows. Food and drink were placed before him, but he had barely touched it since Rehan had asked him about the disappearances. He had an odd air about him, and continually stared at Rehan, apparently not caring if the young man noticed.

Becoming irritated with it, Rehan quickly made his way across the room and placed his hands against the odd man's table as he leaned in. "Do you happen to have a problem, sir? You seem to have lost your appetite ever since I asked you questions." The shadowed man remained silent.

"Boy! Stop bothering my customers." Rehan's head turned to the bartender and let his annoyance show. "I'm sorry sir, I was just questioning this man on the..." glancing back over to the corner, he stared dumbstruck at the sudden absence of the man. "...disappearances." Several choice words could he heard as he bolted out of the tavern in search of him.

He was breathing heavily by the time he stopped, and realized he was a good distance from the village. I shouldn't have let him get away... He was the only lead we had... He stiffened suddenly as a twig snapped nearby and he became aware of the strong stench that came from the marshes. Pulling out his sword, he turned and saw only the village lights in the distance. I'm being a fool. Rehan was about to return to the village when a twig snapped again right behind him. He never had the chance to turn around as darkness overtook him.

[ 06-17-2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Leafblade ]
Old 06-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #55
mistral4543

Pushing through the doors of the tavern, she craned her neck searching for Rehan. Stay calm... he's probably having fun interrogating someone. Yet his continued absence wherever she looked was beginning to unsettle her somewhat.

At length, she charged up to the man she most hated to see and blurted out unceremoniously.

"Have you seen my partner? You know, the young man with blond hair who spoke little during my earlier transaction with you?"

"Oh, THAT one." He growled as the skin between his eyebrows wrinkled. "I wouldn't say he doesn't speak much... he's been harassing my customers ever since you left, and particularly pissed one of them off." Turning away momentarily, he shouted across the room. "Coming right up, Henry! His final words before he waved her off were:

"Anyway, he just bolted out of the tavern not too long ago. I've no idea where he went."

Great... just great. She could feel the invisible ants gnawing the nape of her neck and her insides as she spun around to face Jared, who had returned.

"You can just call me 'Acacia'." Measured were her tones, though her heart was on fire. "It seems that my partner has caught on to some clues on his own, and headed out." Let's hope he's not dead by now. "We need to find him, immediately." She glanced away and headed for the door, so that he might not see the wavering flickers of light in her dark eyes.

"You know this village best. Where is the most dangerous spot? Lead us there right now."

This time, she did not internally reprimand herself for this latest act of discourtesy. If Rehan was in danger... Her left hand had subconsciously returned to the hilt of her longsword as she looked expectantly at the male beside her.

[ 06-17-2006, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 06-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #56
mistral4543

OOC: I'm gonna take up the perks of being gamemaster here, folks [img]tongue.gif[/img] Larry, I'm taking it as a challenge to get this thing moving (remember, Deiter and I are on a posting rush ) again. So I hope you won't mind if I leash you up and drag you along... if we find a way out of the current situation [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS. Isn't this ironic? You used to help drag my character back in OEW too [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #57
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Jared was sadly realizing that there was just one person here waiting for her...Acacia...and that this guy had wandered off to look for trouble himself.

"The most dangerous spot? Well...of course through yonder woods and into the swamp would be the place that nobody should just go wandering into. Its about a 2 mile hike through those woods before the ground starts getting soggy. I know my way through it, but I know better than to go in with naught but this here pocket knife. Hold on a moment.

He turns to the barkeep.

"Hey Jack...you got that blade back there"

"Sure do. Hold on."

The barkeep 'Jack' reaches down under the bar and comes back up with a short sword.

"Mind you tend to it, boy. You know its special to me."

He hands him the naked blade.

"I'll guard it with my life as long as it returns the favor, Jack. Good day."

Jared turns back to Acacia.

"Okay then. We're set."

Jared turns and heads out the door, walking towards the forest and the stench of the marsh that grows stronger with each step.

=================================================

For Rehan

"WAKE UP, YOU!!!"

The voice was followed by a swift kick in the back.

"Nap time's over, sleeping beauty! Git up!"

The voice was now followed by a rough pull to the hair and arm. An arm that was tied behind his back.

The smell of the swamps was strong here, moreso than just before the blackout...the blackout! A sudden realization of the pain in the back of the head came to Rehan. He had been attacked by somebody...this guy that was yelling and pulling on him now.

The air was full of the sounds of flying bugs and the sound of other wildlife in the distance. The immediate surroundings told Rehan that he was in an open-front tent and the sounds of more than one person was nearby.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #58
Leafblade

Rehan shook his head groggily as he tried to get his bearings. He attempted to move his arms and realized they were tied up. His gray eyes locked onto the man in front of him causing him to glare. "Who are you? I didn't know it was a custom in these parts to beat people over the head and hold them captive." As the words left his mouth he realized he might have said too much. He was in no position to provoke this man.

[ 06-19-2006, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Leafblade ]
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #59
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

For Rehan

Rehan's question was answered with a swift punch in the mouth by his captor.

"Yer my captive because yer one of them! A stinking guard, trying to go about doing good and what ye end up doing is ruining lives! I lost too much to ya stupid people...and now its time I got paid back fer it. I can kill ya easy as cake...and then blame it on the crazy curse this village's got. Its a new idea I just thought up not too long ago. Every so often, yer captain sends a couple witless twits down here who pretend to look into things. What's everybody gonna think when ya'll start going missing? Hah! That ye've been eaten by something! Hah hah! Brilliant plan, wouldn't ya say? I'll have my revenge and nobody's the wiser."

Behind this man, chuckles from at least two more men could be heard.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #60
Leafblade

Rehan spit blood out of his mouth and looked down at the ground. These people are crazy... I don't have a chance against them tied up like this. His thoughts briefly went to Acacia, and he hoped she wouldn't come after him. Too many of them, and if that monster is real who knows what could happen to her... Looking back up at the man, Rehan tried to reason with him. "What would killing me do for you? I only came here to try and help the village, not ruin anything."