Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

OOC>>>I am just glad to be a part of a little fun amongst long-time friends again.

If you ever reach Lompton in the Marshes of Vankin, Jared will seek you out to offer his assistance in your search for the disturbances.

I figured you'd like to have a real village set up with a real monster on the loose so you two could RP freely on your characters and not worry about enviroment. I'll take care of that if it pleases you.

The monster chosen to kill you is brought to you courtesy of Cyril Darkcloud...so yes...you'll die in style.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #22
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OOC>>> Aww... both you and Cyril are too kind *Hugs and beer all round*

"No rush now, is there?" She murmured, half to herself and partly to him as she eased herself onto the saddle and nudged her horse into a steady trot. There was no telling whether the map had been scaled accurately so some margins of error were to be expected. In any case... "I'm no rush to be slaughtered." There you go again... a wonderful sense of optimism you're imbibing into the fledgling chicken, aren't you?

Suddenly, everything seemed so surreal. Just two days ago, she had been minding her own business and not caring a hoot about whatever the people surrounding her did. But since yesterday... something had happened. A wave it was, that tore asunder the wall of detachment she had so carefully constructed over herself in the passing years. Apparently, there was a higher force that would not let her alone for long.

"This is going to be a rather boring ride, isn't it?" She spoke breezily, all the while casting sideway glances to watch out for her companion. "Let's spice things up a bit... " ... with a silly song., she might have added.

A fev'rish heart sets out today
Sets out to where? No one can say

A foolish pair in search of clues
What sort of clues? My blood-stained shoes

An ounce of sense tis what we lack
What, sense you lack? No turning back

A pack of wits twould serve us well
They'd serve you well? Aye, fend Death's knell

A dance for peace we badly need
How bad's the need? Desirous greed

A happy day; the sun shines bright
Oh, why so bright? It brings us might

A hopeful duo, a force for good
Ah, righteous good! Still, we need food...

As the day wore on, the singing grew softer until at last, the last note hung in the air before silence engulfed it.

She was tired and could sing no more.
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #23
Leafblade

ooc: I love typos. I didn't even realize last night that I had wrote "he directed his HOUSE out" and not his horse. Also, thanks again Larry and you too Cyril. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Her song cheered him up as he idly watched the scenery pass by. This is my real first chance at proving myself! I can't let down the Captain, no matter how much of a... His thoughts continued to ramble on about his opinion of Captain Orman.

Several hours had passed and night came upon them. "We should find a camp soon and continue on the morning." Scanning the area offered him a small clearing not far from the trail. Tying the reigns to a nearby tree, he started to build a small fire pit. Some branches and several flint strikes later resulted in a little campfire. "Maybe I should have gotten more wood..." Rehan commented, slightly embarrassed that his fire was looking pathetic.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #24
mistral4543

"That's alright, Rehan. Save your energies for tomorrow." The flames which danced before her gleaming eyes were not the same ones that choked before her young companion. "Why don't you get some sleep? I'll take the first watch."

And she turned away, to show that she would brook no opposition.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #25
Leafblade

Retrieving a blanket from his saddlebag, Rehan wrapped it around himself and laid down near the fire. The heat was welcoming even though the flames were small. In the dancing firelight he studied his companion. He knew nothing about her, not even her name. Was it fate that the two of them crossed paths on this mission? Shaking his head and yawning, he rolled over and soon fell asleep.

Back at the encampment a man in his mid thirties argued with Tarnik. "Captain, why did you give the Vankin Marsh mission out again? You know those villagers are crazy. We've sent countless mercenaries down there and no one returns with information. It's a waste of resources."

Rubbing a hand across his tired face, the Captain showed emotion for once today. "The villagers must know that we are here to help them no matter how many times we come up empty handed. I do not think you realize what is at stake here if they remain terrorized."

"Yes, but why send some kid and an old woman to do it? They're both new recruits and obviously lack any sort of skill from their show earlier."

"Exactly Lieutenant... exactly."

[ 06-14-2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Leafblade ]
Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #26
mistral4543

What it her imagination, or was she hearing distant rumblings? The night air, crisp and clear as it was, seemed to tingle with unknown activity. Activities of which no one knew about, and which, if they resulted in Rehan and herself dying, no one would ever know about.

It was not a comforting thought.

Idly, she glanced at her snoozing companion. What was the fledgling dreaming about, on a night like this? Did she want to know? She wondered exactly how experienced he was... perhaps his blundering ways were, but a cover.

The flames continued to leap and prance before her dark, onyx eyes.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #27
Leafblade

The sun shone brightly in the sky as Rehan ran in circles around his father. It was his eighth birthday and his father had promised to take him out to the main town today. Rehan had never been there since his parents cautioned that it was dangerous for one so young. They lived on a farm on the outskirts. It was a peaceful life but terribly uneventful. Days were filled with chores and playing in the woods. It was hard during the harvest to make a living sometimes since Rehan was an only child, and his mother and the baby she was caring died during birth. Ever since then it had just been him and his father to run the farm. Adair, his father, was very protective of his son, and even more so after the death of his wife and daughter.

After much pestering and using his birthday as an excuse, Rehan was able to get his father to take him to town. The town wasn't too large, but it was a whole different world then the simple life Rehan had known. Streets were filled with conversation and the heated debate of price on trade goods. Staring wide-eyed with fascination, Rehan tugged at his father to follow him to a market stall. The peddler sold amulets and was in the middle of telling his customers they all came from far away lands. Sunlight reflected off the polished surfaces causing them to glow with inner light. Rehan was entranced as he stared at all the shimmering colors. "Can I have one daddy? I really really want one!" Adair smiled fondly at his son but shook his head. "I'm afraid we don't have the money for those. We need to save up until the next harvest." Rehan started to sulk and turn away when the peddler behind the stall called over to them.

"No money? Well you two are just in luck! Come around to the back here, come come!" Adair looked doubtful, but followed at the encouragement of his son. The peddler pulled out a small wooden box. Nestled inside was a small amulet. The silver chain led to what appeared to be a small golden tree. Coils of silver and ebony wrapped around the tree criss-crossing each other. The silver coil was loose and almost appeared to be comforting the tree, while the ebony coiled looked like it was trying to strangle it. Adair looked at it warily. "These aren't enchanted are they?" The peddler clicked his tongue against his teeth. "Now what would a simple farmer know of magic?" Moving Rehan back a little he replied. "I come into town to sell the food we grow every year. You hear things in a town such as this."

Rehan moved past his father and faced the peddler. "Will you give that to us sir? It's my birthday!" He said proudly and puffed out his chest some. His father couldn't hide a small smile but continued to watch the peddle with caution. "You can have it boy, it was meant for you!" Before Adair could protest, the peddler slipped it over Rehan's neck. The metal was cold to the touch as he lifted it up some and showed his father. "It was made just for me!" Rehan smiled happily and jumped around.

Six years after that Adair was killed in a fire that had started on their farm. He had stayed behind to watch over the farm while Rehan went to town to sell their crops. No one was sure what caused the fire, and could only offer their apologizes to the young farmer. With no family and no home to call his own, he was forced to live on his own. Four years had passed and only recently did he hear of Captain Tarnik's Mercenaries and how he paid well.

No longer able to sleep, Rehan rolled over to look at his companion. He could tell a few hours had passed and he offered to keep watch now. Sitting up he draped the blanket around his shoulders and reached inside his shirt. His hands found the comforting metal of the amulet he had gotten with his father so long ago. He was lost in his thoughts while he watched the fire crackle and didn't hear whether she agreed to him taking watch or not.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #28
mistral4543

Amid the chattering and animated whispers that flowed freely around her, she pressed her shivering hands against the folds of her white satin dress. Cold were her fingers, as they slowly raised to adjust the neckline that showed off her pale collarbone, and the puffed sleeves that made her feel so womanly.

Swallowing a gulp, she lifted her head and looked into the mirror. A stranger stared back.

The onyx eyes were gleaming, but the eyelids were flickering with unusual rapidity. The soft pale lips bore teeth marks, trembling and curling uncontrollably.
The nose was quivering with horrid anticipation… what was that? Horrid?

Was this a word to describe one’s wedding day?

Her heartbeat was quickening, with each moment that passed. Around her, people continued to mill around and shout their congratulations. Hands reached eagerly to touch the fabric of her gown, and children squealed with delight as they gazed upon the shimmering effect of this painted version of herself.

Yet it was awfully, awfully wrong. She knew it, but knew it too late.

What was there to do but go through with this ritual?

And yet…

The world was spinning in front of her. Gasping, she flailed her arms and grasped at the nearest object to steady her line of vision. It helped momentarily, then passed. For the world was blurring in front of her. Veiled by the film of tears that sprung against her will.

At that moment, she knew.

”I don’t want to get married!” Screaming, she ignored the shocked cries echoing against her ears. ”Never, never, never! He’s not the one for me!” And she sprinted away from the stunned audience, leaving a trail of messiness behind…

Instinctively, her feet jolted and she moaned, awakening from the sharp pain that blasted her mind. Hurriedly, she arose in a bath of perspiration and surveyed her surroundings in a wave of panic. Ah… it was, but a nightmare. But oh, how real it had seemed…

How long had she been sleeping all this while? Groggily, she roused herself from her sleep and saw Rehan watching her with concern. “I’m alright.” Muttering, she dusted herself as she got up. “Just another one of those dreams within a dream.”

He must think I’m loopy. Shrugging, she made her way towards the horses.

[ 06-14-2006, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 06-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #29
Leafblade

He was about to ask if she was ok, but then thought better of it. The small gold tree fell back against the bare skin of his chest as he tucked it under his shirt again. Stretching, he stood up and gathered his things together as he made his way to the horses.

Several hours later he turned to his companion. "So, what is your name? It feels odd to keep thinking of you just as woman." Rehan wasn't sure if he would offend her with this question. He never was the best with words...
Old 06-15-2006, 12:29 AM   #30
mistral4543

The horse snorted as its passenger’s guffaws sent her feet digging into its flanks. “And what’s wrong with thinking of me just as a woman?” She retorted good-humouredly. Then, tugging away her cap with one swift movement, she extracted a single, large pin. A stream of black hair with some hints of burgundy, tumbled down her back. Pursing her lips, she made a self-deprecating laugh. "Does it bother you so much?”

Stop teasing the poor boy, even if his red cheeks are quite becoming. Smiling to herself, she looked at him with some degree of tenderness.

“To be honest, I like to change names a lot, Rehan. It’s my way of starting afresh, of getting away from the past.” A sudden twinkle appeared in her black eyes.

“Why don’t you give me a name?” Smiling, she continued. “How’s that for a sign of my trust in you?”