Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/news/031209a.asp

INFILTRATION
Dissed Information: Media Ignores Saddam-Osama Link

By Dale Hurd
CBN News Sr. Reporter

December 9, 2003

Former CIA Director James Woolsey says a Saddam-Bin Laden connection is irrefutable.

CBN.com – Since when does the Washington press corps not care about a leaked, classified Pentagon memo? Maybe when it makes the media look bad, or maybe when it makes the president look good.
A leaked classified Pentagon memo lays out how Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein worked together from the early 90s right up to the days before the Iraq war.

Prepared by Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith for the Senate Intelligence Committee, the 16-page memo comes from American and foreign intelligence sources. It details Iraq's training of Al-Qaeda members in such things as bomb-making and biological and chemical warfare, as well as logistical and financial support. Stephen Hayes of the Weekly Standard, who reported on it for the magazine, obtained a copy of the memo.

Hayes said, "I think one of the reasons I found it persuasive is the level of detail. If you just want to pick one of many examples, there's a report that the Deputy Director of Intelligence for Iraq, Faruq Hijazi, made a trip to Afghanistan in late 1998. There are seven sources, different sources that corroborated contacts between Iraqi intelligence and senior Al-Qaeda members in Pakistan and Afghanistan during that time frame. "

Much of the evidence is confirmed by multiple sources. And it paints a picture of substantial and long-running collaboration between Iraq and Al-Qaeda. Former CIA Director James Woolsey says a Saddam-Bin Laden connection is irrefutable. He also believes Czech intelligence, cited in the Pentagon memo, that says lead 9-11 hijacker Mohammed Atta met with an Iraqi spy named Al-Ani in Prague four times before Sept. 11. Some American intelligence sources have disputed the claim.

Woolsey said, "The people who have denied this meeting have all been afraid to use their names. No one has denied it on the record…five Czech officials responsible for Czech intelligence have said, on the record, putting their name and their face behind what they say, that the meeting between Al-Ani and Mohammed Atta occurred. I tend to go with the Czechs."

The Czechs also say Baghdad authorized a payment to Atta.

Hayes said, "Nobody knows what the payment was for. Nobody in fact knows if the payments were ever made. The Czechs have just told our intelligence sources that this payment from the Iraqi intelligence to Mohammed Atta was authorized."

And if you hadn't heard about it yet, that's because the media reaction has been to dismiss it.

Since when does the Washington press corps not care about a leaked, classified Pentagon memo? Maybe when it makes the media look bad, or maybe when it makes the president look good.

Brent Bozell is a conservative media critic. He said, "I absolutely guarantee you that had this intelligence report concluded that there was not a connection between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden, it would lead every network news show for three or four days."

He continued, "Whenever there is a memo that comes out of the CIA or the Pentagon that's negative about George Bush, it's guaranteed to be on ABC News that night, or on NBC or on CBS. Now we have a comprehensive intelligence report that defends the president's policies and they've spiked it. "

Even the liberal magazine Slate has ridiculed the blackout, saying in an article, "everybody knows how the press loves to herd itself into a snarling pack to chase the story of the day. Less noticed is the press' propensity to half-close its lids, lick its paws and contemplate its hairballs when confronted with events or revelations that contradict its prejudices."

Bozell said, "It's extraordinary that the media believe in the public right-to-know, except for those things the media don't want the public to know.

But the story's not dead yet. The U.S. is no doubt examining a treasure trove of captured Iraqi intelligence documents in Baghdad that could tell much more.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Seems like convincing evidence then. We demand to see it and let all manner of expert decide wether it's true or not.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

It occurs to me that it (the memo) has been carefully leaked by the conservatives and they have been disppointed by the lack of reaction from the press. Maybe the press are suspicious that this material has been "leaked" and suspicious of the motives of the "leakees". If they haven't got the desired reaction then they can't have leaked a copy to FOX yet then [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I am all for tossing this new collection of fact and opinion (sorry, but after the WOMD fiasco I treat "intelligence" reports as a mixture of both) about in public forum. Let the claims be aired and the public decide for itself. Like most people, there are parts of what I just read that I will add to my mind as facts, and parts that I will carefully sort out and classify as opinion that requires further verification. On a personal basis, no longer am I prepared to swallow "intelligence" reports verbatim.

I did have a quiet chuckle at the whining conservative in the article who claimed that the press all hate the republicans - what planet is he living on?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
sultan

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
(sorry, but after the WOMD fiasco I treat "intelligence" reports as a mixture of both)
you hit the nail on the head there, davros. fawning over the depth of detail and numerous connections makes me think of a used car salesman pushing a lemon. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

it may be true, but colin powell sitting in front of the UN, in front of the whole world, and lying through his teeth destroyed this administration's credibility, and will undermine america's credibility for the near future.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
It occurs to me that it (the memo) has been carefully leaked by the conservatives and they have been disppointed by the lack of reaction from the press. Maybe the press are suspicious that this material has been "leaked" and suspicious of the motives of the "leakees". If they haven't got the desired reaction then they can't have leaked a copy to FOX yet then [img]smile.gif[/img] .
And it occurs to me that memos critical of President Bush were "carefully leaked" by the liberals.

Let's face it, a "leaked memo" is never an accident, regardless of which side provides the document. It is always done in pursuit of a political agenda. I agree with your skepticism over the document.....just so long as the skepticism is applied equally ALL such reports or "leaked memos" - regardless of which political stance they support or criticize.

As for myself, I have some suspicions about the memo too, but I also find a lot of validity in what the article says regarding the memo and it's contents.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by sultan:
you hit the nail on the head there, davros. fawning over the depth of detail and numerous connections makes me think of a used car salesman pushing a lemon. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Fair enough, sultan. But I have to wonder this....if the memo had offered "irrefutable proof" that NO CONNECTION existed between Bin Laden and Saddam, would you still be as skeptical of the "depth of detail", or would you claim that it was further proof that the memo must be legitimate.

Like I said, I don't mind a healthy dose of skepticism...just so long as it is applied equally to both sides of the equation.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
sultan

cerek, refering to the aforementioned connection between saddam and osama, i believe the bush administration proved conclusively that one can never prove conclusively the absence of something.

so, of course such documentation would be met with skepticism, cynicism, and a generous helping of derision.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:16 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
And it occurs to me that memos critical of President Bush were "carefully leaked" by the liberals.

Let's face it, a "leaked memo" is never an accident, regardless of which side provides the document. It is always done in pursuit of a political agenda. I agree with your skepticism over the document.....just so long as the skepticism is applied equally ALL such reports or "leaked memos" - regardless of which political stance they support or criticize.

As for myself, I have some suspicions about the memo too, but I also find a lot of validity in what the article says regarding the memo and it's contents.
Oh trust me Senor Cerek I am skeptical of all sides of the political divide. It wouldn't matter which side of the political divide this thing came from (did I mention my politics is centre right), when I see a "polly" stand up and complain that the press isn't playing fair and giving his leaked report enough credibility and coverage I am gunna smile and guffaw and chortle and think he is a huge Jodrill.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:51 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Oh trust me Senor Cerek I am skeptical of all sides of the political divide. It wouldn't matter which side of the political divide this thing came from (did I mention my politics is centre right), when I see a "polly" stand up and complain that the press isn't playing fair and giving his leaked report enough credibility and coverage I am gunna smile and guffaw and chortle and think he is a huge Jodrill.
"Senor Cerek"?!?! Now THAT one actually made me LOL!!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

As for your well-rounded skepticisim, I agree wholeheartedly....especially when a "polly" is the one complaining that the press isn't playing fair.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:42 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I am just back from business in Spain so I don't want all that newly acquired Espanol to get rusty . Hasta luego amigo.