Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2001, 12:26 PM   #1
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Hi everyone,

I just finished the crypt and am back in town again. I only have about 1600 gold and I have a ton of stuff that needs to be identified. I would also like to join a guild or two. The problem is most of the stuff that needs identification is pretty expensive! What is the best way to proceed?

Also, this is probably covered in the manual, but it seems unclear to me. If I want to save the game while I am in the town how do I do so? Do I check my characters into the Inn and then quit the game?

Thanks!

frosty
frostg1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:38 PM   #2
Moni

The best way to proceed with identifying items is to have one character hold the same type of item...for the price of one, they all get identified.

You are correct regarding saving your game in town.
It is not a bad idea to save in a spare slot outside the city gates though when your inventory has been emptied of all but what you want to keep, for just in case purposes.

Joining guilds costs 500 per character per guild. You'll need more cash if you have a full party. In these earlier stages of the game, join the Warrior's guild and buy tons of willow arrows +1 and sell them back for a profit to up the amount of gold you have so all your characters can join their guilds and get all the quests involved with being a member.

Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 05-23-2001).]
Old 05-23-2001, 12:38 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi Frostg!ant!

To save - save outside the town gates. You cannot save inside the town.
Are you playing with the patch installed?
Do you dislike or like using cheats? (check out the Best Tips thread for some $ advice - some legit, some cheats).

Items that are all similar you should try to have in the inventory of 1 character - you might get away with only having to identify 1 of the items then rather than each individually. (You probably have a LOT of rusty swords! )

Most of the stuff you get early in the game is junk and really not worth identifying - you could save your game, identify a few and see if any of them are worth while - then restore your game remembering which items you do want to identify.

Hope that helps!

Wyv

Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:40 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Moni - our posts are the same time exactly

hehehehe

Wyv
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:44 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Also, to get some extra gold AND XP:

Go back to the crypt and play "Whack-a-Rumphy"...win a Wand as a prize each time!

Rumphy is the ghost that ever respawns in the extreme southeast room of the 1st level of the Crypt. You can stand back out of his range and bombard him with "Shock" and "Zap" spells and never get touched once. Once he's "dead" (something like 1167 XP per character for a 6-character party), grab the wand he drops (sells for 250 GP unidentified) and run back to the Kerah statue, then back into the main crypt to get him to respawn. Keep doing this until you have plenty of wands and experience. Then return to town and sell.

-Sazerac

P.S. Playing "Whack-a-Rumphy" is also a good way to spend an evening in the Gael Serran while waiting for daylight...

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 05-23-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:47 PM   #6
Moni

Wyv,
From the manual:

You do not need to save the game when your characters are in town, they are automatically recorded for you, and the world is preserved exactly as it was when you re-entered town. You can return your characters to the Inn, or you can simply quit the game and they will be returned to the Inn for you automatically. The next time you start the game, you can go to the Inn and they will be there waiting to begin their adventures once more.

frostg1ant,
This should by no means be mistaken for an actual game save, but rather a way to quit the game while you are in town and return to it later.

Moni
Old 05-23-2001, 12:47 PM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Frostg1ant, welcome to the board:

Mony and Wyvern are right about the Ident. Pool all the stuff together and Identify ONLY items that you have in 2 or more of. Since to ID it cost you the same as the selling price, it's only profitable once you have 2 or more.

For potions, gem, arrows, knifes and other Items that are stackable, keep one identified in your inventory... this way, each time you'll pick one up, it'll be ID.

Saving in town: Moni is right, the game saves automaticaly each time you perform actions in Town, so, if you want to leave, just go to the inn and quit the game.

If you are not using the patch, I strongly suggest that you don't use this method. The game might loose some of the items you're carying. Follow Wyvern's advice and save just outside of the city gates (this as an added advantage: if you don't like what happened in town, you can always reload)

Hope you have fun and keep us posted with your adventures

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 05-23-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:48 PM   #8
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:
Moni - our posts are the same time exactly

hehehehe

Wyv
Cool!!!

Old 05-23-2001, 12:50 PM   #9
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Times 2 for Moni today... ours are the same too... but they're slightly off topic from one another
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:51 PM   #10
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:

For potions, gem, arrows, knifes and other Items that are stackable, keep one identified in your inventory... this way, each time you'll pick one up, it'll be ID.
Ryanamur,
Thanks for including that "gem"! I had forgotten it!

Moni