Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 09:50 AM   #11
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
One of the problems I am having with the script is that it requires you to
a) be the DM
b) carry a torch
or c) deal it it's entire HP's worth of fire and acid damage
in order to kill it. a) is a good thing. b) is fine (I like it when you can use a torch for multiple purposes). c) is rather ridiculous. I'll tell you why.

In order to kill a standard troll using a torch, you need to deal it 27 points of any kind of damage. Then you light the torch. Done.
Actually, in 3rd edition PnP rules they changed that. If a creature has regeneration, then all damage done to it is subdual damage unless the damage is from certain sources (fire and acid for trolls, but for demons and the like it is holy weapons). Thus, there are only two ways to truly kill the monster:

1. Do all of the creature's hp in damage from the certain sources (i.e. do all of the damage in fire or acid damage).
  2. Once you do it's hp damage in other types of damage (i.e. knock it unconscious), then you can do a coup de grace attack on it (just like anyone else that is unconscious or helpless in 3rd edition rules). The coup de grace attack has to use something it is vulnerable to (fire or acid). It gets a saving throw or dies instantly from the coup de grace (just like any other character)
Thus, c) is not ridiculous; it is just the standard rules under #1 above. Option b) is simply #2 above. The coding issues about the xp would be problematic, though (I don't know if the game deals well with subdual damage, as I have not played with scripting much).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 06:15 PM   #12
Legolas
Jack Burton

Although it does not fit my image of a proper troll, if that's the new rule I guess we'll stick with it [img]smile.gif[/img]
As a coup de grace attack, the torch makes sense. But still, I do not see why such an attack would be impossible using a flaming sword.

Ziroc, the core of the problem is that the amount of experience you receive is the outcome of a rather complicated formula which deals with henchmen, their levels, the level of the player, the class of the player, familliars, other players in the party and the monster itself at the least, and possibly includes even more variables. For some reason this was built into the game, but the toolset offers no possibility to edit it, other than that it lets you move a slider bar to change one multiplier. Every time a creature dies, XP is calculated and given to those involved in the combat. The regenerating trolls work through a system of dying and resurrection, and not handing out XP is not really an option.
The one way of solving the problem that will definately work is setting the multiplier to 0, meaning no XP is handed out in any combat anywhere unless it is done through a script. Although that makes sure you get no XP for not killing trolls, you will have to write scripts for every single type of creature defining the amount of XP you get for killing those. And that's going to take far more effort than it is worth.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote