Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2001, 09:57 AM   #11
Radek
Red Dragon

I think the basic REALLY WRONG decision was to reset the character level to 1 after role changing. Consequences:
1. The game must reroll your HP: otherwise you could train to level 5 (reached immediately), change role, train to level 5, etc., and get hundreds of HP fast. The same is true for attribute points and skill points.
2. The leveling up system really sucks. Who is supposed to tolerate 1 HP + 1 skill point/level for an extra long period of time? And repeatedly?
3. The Valkyrie and Zenmaster roles SUCKS! You get them too late. Are you about to exchange your level 50 Ninja for a level 1 Valkyrie? Suppose so. How long will you play the Valkyrie? 30 minutes? Or do you want to save the Valkyrie for a subsequent run, i.e., spoil the whole game because your Valkyrie will have no opponents at all?
4. Due to holes in the game (un)logic, the whole system solves nothing. Reset Adventures allows you to get rid of inactive classes, resets to level 1 allow you to train extra fast, etc.

I daresay one of the correct solutions would be NO LEVEL RESET! Well, perhaps recalculate the level if the new role is more expensive than the old one. And be just with leveling up!
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 12:21 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

*sigh* Snoekie, I'm so sorry you've experienced such frustration with the game. It could be that it isn't for you; some games aren't. I know I've had to put some aside because I couldn't stand them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

However, I still think you're getting hung up on a few trifles. The HP thing is annoying, but it isn't the be-all, end-all of the game. Depending on how you play, it shouldn't matter what your HP is. I have a Ratling Mage that's 11th level and has a 38 HP...sucky HP, but he's survived both the Naga encounter and the Elyssia encounter...two of the most difficult at that stage of the game. The game really does have a great balance and the HP does balance out in the long run. It's an averaging thing; sometimes low, sometimes high.

The point of this post when I made it last night (and I was probably fairly incoherent because of having rendered that table on the board ) was that a lot of people have claimed that you are restricted to a 1 HP gain after changing roles until you reach a level equal to that of the role you left. What I found out was this was not the case...the HP is simply rerolled at the current level of your current role, with all the role bonuses, etc., added in. A 2nd level Paladin will not have the same HP as a 10th level Priest. What I found out, though, was that a 7th level Paladin's average HP exceeded that of the Priest, and it was reflected in the roll I got.

Please do give the game another try...at least try to make it to Ishad N'ha; that's where the game really starts to "take off." Also, please don't take offense at anything I've said...it wasn't pointed at you personally. We do like you being here and hope you stay for quite a while.

Cheers,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 02:23 PM   #13
Traute
The Magister

I had more than one HP rather often when running through Ranger and Paladin, but as far as I remember, I never had more than 1 HP before max previous lvl as a Ninja or Samurai.
The highest HP increase my Assassin got was in the mid-forties, my solo char finished at close to 400 HP after an average of 15 levels in every class but monk, 47 lvls as an Assassin and 26 lvls as a Zenmaster.

I was used to the 1 HP increase after class-changing from the Wizardries, so it didn't bother me too much. If you class-change a lot, like I do, you get more HP that way than while staying the same class throughout the game or class-changing only once or twice. After lvl 14 every level-up requires a whopping 250k XP, quite a lot if you're running a 6-char-party.
In my first few games, I changed class after lvl 9, and when reaching lvl 9 in the new class, I changed again. The chars in those parties all got lots of HP, though I missed out on some of the superior skills due to low guild levels.
My present four chars are lvl 9 wizards and have between 40 and 47 HP (after the Shinwiki quest). I patched my game for this time round.

Snoekie, I hope that you give W&W another chance. Try to see the HP thing as a challenge.

Traute
Traute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 02:53 PM   #14
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Thank you Saz and Traute for your input and kind words
I'm glad we all can speak our minds, disagree even, and still have normal contact with each other without flaming and stuff
But I've made up my mind.
I play games to have fun and I'm not having it with this one. No game is perfect, they all have their flaws and shortcommings and I can live with that.
But it's not like I haven't given this game a chance. I gave it many chances and put in alot of time and effort trying to make it work.
With alot of help from this board I might add!!

Perhaps it is like Sazerac said, some games are just not for you and you have to put them aside. Indeed, nothing wrong with that
And if it wasn't for W&W I probably wouldn't have visited this board, or the Ironworks forum, and would have missed out on meeting some of the friendliest people on the net
There is always good to be found in bad.

I will keep following this forum and the Wizardry 8 + General discussions forum and will DEFINATLY visit a Morrowind board if there would be one in the future.

Snoekie
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 04:38 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Snoekie,

Of course we honor your decision! Hopefully the next game you play will be more suited to your taste.

I had the same problem with Might & Magic 8...I fairly HATED that game, even though I had enjoyed 6 and 7. I kept playing it, thinking "it has to get better, it's got to get better!"

It didn't.

So on the shelf it went. However, I know a lot of people who really enjoyed 8, and so I was impressed that they were able to get something out of it.

Wizardry 8 will be up and coming...however, be prepared for a similar interface to W&W. Maybe less annoyances...hopefully! (They've had bleedin' well enough time to work on it!)

Also Morrowind...that's one I'm really looking forward to. I'm an Elder Scrolls veteran...played Arena about 8 or 9 times, Daggerfall about the same amount, and have been waiting for Morrowind for 4 years now. It's high time!

Anyway, I look forward to interacting more with you on the board. Take care, my friend!

-Sazerac

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote