Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #31
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Default Re: Aliens? Mothman? Weird happenings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
You have massively ripped legs for a girl Variol.

And more on topic, a lot of the speculation I'm reading assumes evolution to be a confirmed process beyond adaptation within a species. Not sure how much I can say about that without stomping all over the religious discussion ban.
Well with the information that is available to us through present technology and relics from the past, evolution is a confirmed process. No need to even wander into religious territory. That being said, I just had another speculation. Even though through natural selection and so forth, an alien species is created- wouldn't the chances of it being
sentinent being be extremely little?

Because, out of all the animals and plants that survived through natural selection, only humans really gained sentinence in Earth. Just, wondering..

EDIT: Btw, firestorm- you forgot "meow"
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #32
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Still don't buy the trans-speciation evolution story. There are bio-chemical blocks. Never heard of a good refutation of darwin's black box. Similar fossils don't confirm evolution anymore than they confirm a common creator. (but then as I said, not sure how far I can follow that...) *meow* ya happy?

Why start to cook food?, Why when all other creatures get on just fine lacking what we call sentience should we develop it. Scientists have speculated computers developing self-awareness on their own when they become complex enough, we have supercomputers that far outstrip the capabilities of the human mind yet they can only do what we program them for.

Oh, and there's the constant mystery of first life. What was it, and how did it form. For that matter we don't even know how the components could have formed. The Methane atmosphere model has long since been debunked by scientists.

*meow* (I'm gonna not do this after today)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 10-13-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #33
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirits Reborn View Post
Actually , I'm gonna have to poke at that too. Its true that if all the conditions were same, the evolution would be very similar. However, the planets similarity isn't the only thing that affects the evolution of an animal. For example, there would have to be the same plethora of Fauna and flora for this to occur. Partially because evolution doesn't just happen (you know..natural selection), its something that happens out of need. And without competition, there is no need.

IMO that's a lot of requirements to fulfill, but if it happened in our world- its not unlikely that it'll happen in another, just probably will differ a lot, because there are too many factors that affect it.
Poke away. After all, I am only speculating, as are all of us here. I would wager that life on other planets has more in common with life on ours than we'd think. After all, different climates and environments while making important differences in a species' appeareance, makeup etc. still doesn't seem to change much on a very basic level. Look at life in Africa and Antartica for example, the animals there are geared and have evolved into their climate and environmental factors.

People usually think of the grey beings with black eyes when we talk of aliens, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first ET life discovered was something like slugs or worms. I'd also not be surprised to discover that they follow the same guidelines, habits and genetic makeup of earth-native insects.

There could even be a planet full of humans off somewhere, the same process started on an entirely different planet and arriving at the same place.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 AM   #34
Stratos
Vampire

Technology and bioengineering would probably explain more of the disparity of power between humans and visiting aliens than evolution.