Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2002, 09:58 AM   #191
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Dresdan:
First off let me say I have a dial up connection and have only read the first and last pages on this subject as the pages load incredibly slow for me. If I am repeating or mirroring what someone else already said I appologize.

Now, I am a moderator on another large RP site (approx. 6000 memebers). About 6 months ago we had a large influx of new younger memebers who would spam unmercifully to increase there ranks. The first thing the Administrator did was to eliminate all rankings. This worked for a while, but didn't really help much at all. What he finally ended up doing was to create a Spam-o-Rama forum which is a subforum of the General Chat. He made it so that none of the posts in this new subforum counted towards ranks, and or post counts. As moderators if we saw a thread in any of the other forums that were purely spam, or spam subjects we could dump them in there and the post count of the offenders would be automaticly adjusted accordingly. This was the solution, it dramaticly decreased the amount of spam on the entire site. Some people are just prone to spam and this gives them some place to do it. It also gives the moderators some place to put the spam without having to delete threads/posts, which I as a moderator am very reluctant to do.

This is a post about the original subject that started this thread, I know that these things have a tendency to get off track. Hopefully this post is still relevant to the ongoing subject.
Dude, i have a dial up connection too, 56K. Anyways, your idea of a SPAM forum is really good.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:33 AM   #192
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
btw, johnny, the tavern wasn't really a gay bar butb did have Melusine ina skimpy elf costume
[img]tongue.gif[/img] Well you were the one who bought it for me [/QUOTE]But do you still wear it ? That's the point.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:45 AM   #193
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
But do you still wear it ? That's the point.
[img]tongue.gif[/img] If we ever manage to get another bar thread going like they used to be in the old days, then sure!
If so, come by and I'll wear my extra-special sultry elflet outfit while serving you the house specialty... A huge tankard of Elven Ale..... and an atomic wedgie!! Mwahahahaha! [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

[ 08-26-2002, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-26-2002, 11:52 AM   #194
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
[qb]But do you still wear it ? That's the point.
[img]tongue.gif[/img] If we ever manage to get another bar thread going like they used to be in the old days, then sure!
[QB][/QUOTE]Well I've got my Tiax costume, all we need is the others

But they are merely additions to the grandeur and greatness of the mighty Tiax and his orange pantaloons!

*floats in a sea of nostalgia*
Old 08-26-2002, 11:58 AM   #195
Melusine
Dracolisk

Awww Siggy, I missed Tiax!!
But this is going a bit too blatantly off-topic, esp. considering the thread's intention. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
Maybe we really should try to get the old bar going again, now that Tancred's around as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, off to get dinner now - but might be a fun idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 12:39 PM   #196
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Neb. I'll take a swing at "why the thread?" Perhaps it's more like a petition, and to make clear that more than onemember is unhappy with the general direction that things have gone of late. I certainly agree that one can always just ignore the threads that one is not interested in, but there seems to have been so many of them of late.
Precisely Attalus - I could have PM'd Ziroc or any of the mods but I'm only one voice. What I wanted to know was wether there were others who felt the same but weren't saying anything because they felt they were the only ones.

From the replies it seems there were many others.
[/QUOTE]Hurrah for Donut, you have smoked out more of the old members than I have seen on most of the posts here recently, glad to see they are still around, even if not posting (or maybe they are, I just can't check in every 3-4 hrs to see b4 the page drops off ) Hiya Wolfie, how's howling?

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 08-26-2002, 12:53 PM   #197
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Awww Siggy, I missed Tiax!!
But this is going a bit too blatantly off-topic, esp. considering the thread's intention. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
Maybe we really should try to get the old bar going again, now that Tancred's around as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, off to get dinner now - but might be a fun idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]
YES!! Start the bar again!! The mutant nuclear expresso machine is starting to tarnish, inspite of the anti-rust spells - guess I shoulda gotten those from the elves instead of the Shyte Shoppe bargain table - my subscription to the permanent dimension door spell from the amberbock brewery to my evercold beirstein is SOOOO lapsed they don't even send those renewal cards anymore..
I never even got the chance to participate in the towel competition, uh, wait, never mind, wasn't that the last party that got the bar closed?

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 08-26-2002, 01:35 PM   #198
Lord Shield

It is still going (albeit slowlyin the RP forum here:

Lord Shield's Bar

Old 08-26-2002, 02:08 PM   #199
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
I hope this is a sensible addition...

First I dont think you were being ignored Neb - some people just aren't here all the time and will reply when they see it.

Secondly, (and cautiously), Ziroc's decisions on the board are absolute and the Mods reflect his decision process... but, if Z or the Mods were out of touch with the member's views on certain issues they would soon be hosting/modding a board for noone. I think a post like this is valid in this case where mods have said it's ok but other members aren't sure if that acurately reflects the majority.

Ziroc and the Mods have changed their minds before - noone is infallible. Also GD is not a place where people are free to talk about anything. An issue that concerns me greatly kept getting locked to the point where there is a moratorium on it now - in order to keep comming here I need to respect Z's decision that it's best for the board - and reflects the member's feelings.

This placed is named a Forum and Donut is treating it as such. So are most of the replying posters in this thread.
*APPLAUSE*
Hear Hear Leonis! Excellent post and point.

For those that are counting, I'm firmly in agreement with our crispy fried breakfast food. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think that the level of pure, unadulterated SPAM has reached epic proportions and should be nuked. Note the "I THINK". This is only my opinion, but it *does* seem to be shared with a fairly sizable portion of the active posters.

Some few of you know me, but most probably dont, as I am mostly a lurker. But I have been a member for awhile now, and am extremely loyal to both Ziroc and IW. And I to find the current level of pointless spam disconcerting. I log onto IW just about every day to keep up with interesting threads, and, when the mood strikes, I will even post a time or two. But currently, I have been finding myself alternately bored or irritated. Considerable bandwidth is being eaten up by the flood of spam, and it makes it that much harder for people to be able to read and enjoy IW.

Now, that's not to say that I am against fun threads. Far from it. I'm all for fun and light-heartedness, but when you have 10 threads, each of which is multiple pages and/or in their 3rd or 4th incarnation, and the threads are filled with nothing more than one line posts and smileys...well, one has to ask oneself, what is the point.

As for some of the *RIDICULOUSLY* huge sigs that people have...well, I'm with you Mel...*High fives the sultry elflet*. I get so *SICK* of having to scroll through 20 lines of a sig, AND a picture(which may or may not actually be TOS approved size)......and have to repeat the process 8 or 10 times on one page! Perhaps people should really look at their sigs, take a little courtesy/netiquitte/common sense break, and re-think them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyhew...that's my [img]graemlins/2cents.gif[/img]

Later
Nachtrafe

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 08-26-2002, 02:16 PM   #200
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
It is still going (albeit slowlyin the RP forum here:

Lord Shield's Bar
Yeah, I know - but I mean like the old threads. I don't mean the bar in name, necessarily, but in intent and atmosphere.

Edit: great post, Jim! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-26-2002, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]