Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2002, 11:12 AM   #111
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
You are quite right, Sultan.
I did not take any personal offense to this thread but in reading what has been posted since I initially expressed my opinion, I would like to clarify (in lieu of all the "finger pointing" remarks) that I did point out a thread as an example to back up my opinion with something more substantial than my own heresay.
Likewise. I apologise to Donut for my early stance. I initially saw a dig and that's a problem with me, not our loveable footy fan [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Also, I meant no offense to the posters involved in my first post here where I stated "certain individuals". I was not singling any one or two people out as it looks like I may have been...there are many others, old-timers included who will take a thread's contents where they please with little-to-nothing to say remarks and small talk that deviate from the thread's original intentions. It just irks me when it downplays and replaces intelligent conversation in threads where semi-intelligent-to-intelligent conversation is intended.
We know you better than that Moni. Your posts are much valued as has anybody's in this debate [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will confess that fun threads have had spam in them. I guess I just didn't think they were PURE spam (poke thread was inspired after drinking Brandy and that's my excuse LOL)

i have been startign a fair amount of fun threads. Maybe if I just cut down on quantity. Couple a week perhaps [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2002, 11:16 AM   #112
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by The.Relic:
And I thought being an Emeral Dragon for friggin ever was enough to do it [img]smile.gif[/img]
I feel your pain, I really do

At least you're almost out of it though. See you on the other side [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 12:11 PM   #113
The.Relic
Red Dragon

First off, I want to point out a very important consideration that makes IW special, and that is all of you, our members. This is clearly a distressing subject to many, and yet despite the sensitivity of this subject and the differences of opinion, everyone has remained civil and respectful of each other. Kudos to all of you. .
Actually, this is the right place for a thread like this. This thread, though not popular in many respects is a very healthy topic. It would be no more improper for someone to post a "This board feels like a mausoleum, too serious, lets talk about it" thread.
Neb I do understand your feelings about the "PM" method, and having the mods handle it. One thing to keep in mind, is that, no moderators want or desire to have to "enforce" policy, except as a last resort. They want if possible, (and this has been a long standing policy here) our members to be able to handle issues among ourselves, in a sensable, considerate and respectful manner. They only want to have to be involved if the members can't agree peacably. "PM" can work, but sadly there have been a number of, almost "vicious" PM wars that have occured in the past. Unfortunately, some people feel that since a PM isn't public in the forum, that they do not need to be respectful, and became very ugly. So one reason for publicly posting, it really is a good topic for considerate, respectfull discussion. Another is that posted publically will definately keep the discussion civil, and not risk a potential brutal PM assault. Another is that it is a good method of finding out how members in general feel about the subject. Another is that it allows members to express their feelings and opinions peacefully and respectfully, which is what this forum is all about. As Mouse so aptly stated, this board is growing and evolving, and this discussion allows the mods and Z to get a feel for how the predominant posters feel about the subject, thereby giving them better insights as to how to respond to this topic if the need does arrise. I could go on, but I think this is enough about public versus PM.
I would also like to point out that we have always had some "gratuitous spam" threads, and in my opinion as I stated before, there is nothing wrong with it, in fact I beleive it is healthy as long as it does not get out of control. It shows that our membership of various ages and persuasions are happy and feel comfortable here. I would also like to say in Donut's defense, that even though he may not like, or feel that "spam threads" belong in GD he has also accepted it, despite his feelings and preferences, and has only spoken out about it, because he feels that it is excessive at present, and a number of people agree, as do I. But as I said, I don't personally have a problem with it, I just check the threads that I want to look at.
Like it or not, willing to face facts and accept it or not, we have had members leave due to excessive spamming. And in converse, we have had members leave in the past during periods of intense seriousness. That is normal for any forum. I think the important thing is for the membership to try to come to healthy, mutually agreeable balances for the good of the board and the membership as a whole.

[ 08-25-2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: The.Relic ]
Old 08-25-2002, 12:19 PM   #114
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Good post, Relic. I agree with everything that you have said. It is unhealthy for feelings like that to remain submerged, as it will only make people more irritable and more likely to lash out. And, you are right, the prevailing culture here at Ironworks does not permit flaming or incivility in the public forums.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:23 PM   #115
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Good post, Relic. I agree with everything that you have said. It is unhealthy for feelings like that to remain submerged, as it will only make people more irritable and more likely to lash out. And, you are right, the prevailing culture here at Ironworks does not permit flaming or incivility in the public forums.
Ditto... that was a great post Relic!
Old 08-25-2002, 12:25 PM   #116
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
...people posting for ranks like it would gain them respect due to a high post count. Well high post counts dont mean a damn thing. Ask ***. Who the hell respects him/her ? LOL
Who is ***? LOL
I agree with this thread to some extent, well I agree with the idea that spamming by certain individuals has gotten out of hand but not in threads started for drivel but where it is put into threads where people are actually attempting to converse with no respect to the fact that the drivel is not just off topic but that it can last for a full page or longer.
I believe I was gently reprimanded by others for mentioning it in the first USA thread.
It is completely understandable that some off topic conversation can end up in some threads (Leo's "Why Are You Here" thread springs to mind because I did not continue a conversation with Ladyzekke about Lantanas in that one because I was attempting to respect the thread for its intent) but when off topic conversation taks away from the intent of the thread or turns to endless, meaningless drivel, someone has to step up and say something.

Spamming for ranks is not just wrong but it makes the people who do it appear to be a bit weak in the self-esteem dept. There are people here at IW who gained their ranks by participating in the actual gaming forums here at IW!
I came here to GD with many many posts under my belt simply because I played W& W and participated in that forum, usually taking the night shift to help others playing the game before I was even aware that GD even existed. I am sure some people wish I had never come over here LOL.

Ziroc put a lot of time into creating the ranks and the avatars that go with them. It would be a shame to see them have to be pulled down because of others' lack of respect for Ironworks but I wouldn't have any objections if I thought it would help curb spamming. In some cases it would and in others it wouldn't, so what do we do?
We start a thread bringing some attention to it and get everyone to participate in a virtual flailing of members we think need a good whop upside the head.

I haven't read many of the threads initially pointed out in this thread because their titles make them appear to be intended for "spam" or I just wasn't interested. Yes, I've poseted in a couple of them and my posts were as spammy as the rest but that was the point of those threads, to have a little very-non-serious fun and there is nothing wrong with that provided it doesn't get out of hand.

OK that was more than just a smiley or one word lol.
It all boils down to what Ziroc thinks and I'll sit on the sidelines with the rest of you all to wait and see.

In the meantime I have a couple of web sites to move before 9 p.m. this evening (yeah right lol).
[/QUOTE]*pokes Moni*
Old 08-25-2002, 12:28 PM   #117
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
*pokes Moni*
Now, now LoA, I thought the nice people in white jackets taught you to keep your pokes to yourself. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 12:29 PM   #118
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
*pokes Moni*
ROFLMAO!! Yes LoA, I'm definitely keeping you in my harem!
Old 08-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #119
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Well I thought it might lighten things up [img]smile.gif[/img] A little spam on an anti-spam thread seemed like a good idea Now everyone be nice. Well everyone except me [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 12:37 PM   #120
MagiK

Well trying not to be too Spammy for "just agreeing with" Donut here but errrm.... I do think the spam threads are getting to be a bit much....