Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2002, 08:36 AM   #91
Melusine
Dracolisk

Well, THAT has gotten nicely out of hand.
I wasn't going to name names but I HAVE seen blatant spamming for ranks and people posting just for spam's sake. The threads' intentions were probably to have fun, but they degenerated quickly aftr that.
Anyway, I'm not going to join the finger-pointing petty debate, I know enough.
Sorry to everybody who got their feelings hurt, and especially for those who won't be around for a while if ever.
Will be in touch with those who still want to be.

Oh and foir those that DID point fingers: what makes you think the mods WEREN'T contacted? Both Saz and Mouse posted in this thread. It was agreed that it was probably just a phase, and that it was better than flaming and tension, but that doesn't change the fact that spamming for ranks is against the TOS! I thought everybody thought those important?
If even thread originators expected their threads to be locked, why post them, and why get angry if OTHERS suggest to curb them?

[ 08-25-2002, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-25-2002, 08:45 AM   #92
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Mel, if the mods WERE contacted, why make this thread?
Old 08-25-2002, 08:47 AM   #93
Melusine
Dracolisk

Neb, sorry, but like I said I don't see any merit in this debate anymore. It's only getting people hurt.
Like I said I know enough. I'll accept the majority vote. Take care all.

Oh and as a PS, thanks for that post Davros, that's exactly how I see it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-25-2002, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-25-2002, 08:52 AM   #94
Neb

Actually noone here has yet pointed out why this thread was a good alternative to a PM to the mods. Every time the point has been brought up it's been ignored. I'd like an answer.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:01 AM   #95
Melusine
Dracolisk

However, YOU have pointed out that baiting in PM is a good alternative to baiting on the forum. I've replied, that should be sufficient.
I hope everybody can please take a deep breath and think before they post.
Though it may surprise some I do care enough about the forum to hate to see stuff like this happen.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:03 AM   #96
Neb

Right. Good for you, Mel. Now does anyone feel like answering my question instead of ignoring it?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:04 AM   #97
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Neb, sorry, but like I said I don't see any merit in this debate anymore. It's only getting people hurt.
Like I said I know enough. I'll accept the majority vote. Take care all.

Oh and as a PS, thanks for that post Davros, that's exactly how I see it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Does that mean I get to marry you too - or is that three . All these choices - single men everywhere - whats a poor girl to do .

I don't think there are any winners or losers in the debate - just expressions of opinion. The ones that are arguing the "con" position (ie Neb, LS, Jerome and Moni) are by no means people I consider to be in the "exclusive spam" category. I value their contributions, and I don't think they have taken arguments to a personal level.

Perhaps we can actually get someone who feels that they may be in danger of being considered to be in that "exclusive spam" category to step forth and articulate an argument. On a lighter note, might I recommend that any such submission be a minimum of 4 lines .

PS - One of my favorite lines from the Three Musketeers - "A thesis, a thesis - yes, we demand the supression of a thesis". Anyone that has ever had to write one of those dissertations will have some pangs of sympathy for that sentiment.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:13 AM   #98
Lord Shield

Well, I don't mean to get personal but, in my view, the only reason for this thread over a PM would havebeen because the originator didn't want to feel alone when contacting a mod. maybe he figured it would have more weight if people agreed with it

Old 08-25-2002, 09:14 AM   #99
Davros
Takhisis Follower

The "why the thread" questions is better aimed at the originator Neb. I am guessin that page 1 says it all, but any other answer is awaiting double donut seven.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:17 AM   #100
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
The "why the thread" questions is better aimed at the originator Neb. I am guessin that page 1 says it all, but any other answer is awaiting double donut seven.
Well, the other Anti-Spam people must also have reasons why they believe that a thread is better than a PM. I haven't seen any of them mention the problem. And they all ignore the question. I'd like to hear their reasons as well [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe I'm wrong and a thread IS the best way to go.