Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 12:54 PM   #31
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Did I imply that the best government is the least government?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:02 PM   #32
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Quote:
Err how does republicans stalling "popular bills" give them a win over the democrats? I would think if the republicans scuttled "popular" bills, that owuld give the Democrats a boost...Im confused
Because they had democratic sponsors - meaning the Dems would have used them as evidence of good work and accomplishment in the campaigns. Really - you should watch more West Wing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
So instead they (the Dems) publicize the republicans wanting to hurt old people and scare the voters. They attempt to frighten them away from the republicans...your saying this tactic didn't work? [/QUOTE]All politicians try to frighten voters away from the other guy, no? It's just that "I did X, Y, and Z good things" is possibly the absolute best platform. And, stalling some bills took it away. Take note over the coming days and weeks. I bet you'll see some legislation we've been expecting for a while suddenly pop up.

As for much not getting done, I'd be quite happy if the 108th Congress would just hold off for about a year so we can catch or breath and let the economy stabalize. Fat chance that, of course. No, we must have our pork barrels now, mustn't we?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:12 PM   #33
MagiK

Quote:
All politicians try to frighten voters away from the other guy, no? It's just that "I did X, Y, and Z good things" is possibly the absolute best platform. And, stalling some bills took it away. Take note over the coming days and weeks. I bet you'll see some legislation we've been expecting for a while suddenly pop up.

I don't know, I notice the "fear" thing more in the Dem platform than in the Reps. However, on thinking about it, they use different fears. Dems seem to delight in useing personal fears while the republicans use a less personal external fear (Iraq, terrorists, N. Korea etc).

You are right about seeing legislation that has been hung up, question is, who was doing the hanging up? Gonna have to watch that closely.

As for much not getting done, I'd be quite happy if the 108th Congress would just hold off for about a year so we can catch or breath and let the economy stabalize. Fat chance that, of course. No, we must have our pork barrels now, mustn't we?
I don't know, we might see focus on the war first, and the economic stimulas packages that were stonewalled shake loose first.

Old 11-06-2002, 01:21 PM   #34
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Really - you should watch more West Wing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I wouldn't watch that Aaron Sorkin, what-Clinton-should-have-been liberal dream if you tied me to a chair in front of a blaring TV set. I'd close my eyes and holler "lalalalala' until it was over. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 01:26 PM   #35
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Historical Point.

Only 3 times in the last century have the presidency, House, and Senate been controlled by the same party.

The last time a first term Republican president had his party gain control of both the House and the Senate was exactly 100 years ago, in 1902, under Teddy Roosevelt.

I guess that gets an asterisk though. Roosevelt wasn't elected to the presidency in 1900, William McKinley was and Roosevelt was his VP. McKinley was assasinated in 1901.

How does this pertain to the debate here? It doesn't, I just thought it was interesting.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:33 PM   #36
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Really - you should watch more West Wing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I wouldn't watch that Aaron Sorkin, what-Clinton-should-have-been liberal dream if you tied me to a chair in front of a blaring TV set. I'd close my eyes and holler "lalalalala' until it was over. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Quite funny. There's no doubt it's a "liberal dream", but I think it provides accurate fiction regarding political manuevering, which is what I was referring to. As an aside, what on TV isn't a "liberal dream" these days - last time I checked the majority of the folks in that industry are quite liberal. And it shows obviously in their work.

Not that *I* mind.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:37 PM   #37
MagiK

I think Buffy or Smallville is on in that timeframe so I don't have to depend on the Left Wing West Wing for entertainment

Old 11-06-2002, 01:45 PM   #38
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
I think Buffy or Smallville is on in that timeframe so I don't have to depend on the Left Wing West Wing for entertainment
LOL, my friend Dennis calls it "Left Wing." You and he are birds of a feather, though he thinks I am too liberal, and got into an argument with Galadria about assault weapons, calling her a "soccer mom."
She can't stand him.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:49 PM   #39
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Grrrr.......... some of us haven't gotten around to getting cable since we've moved. Grumble grumble.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:50 PM   #40
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL, my friend Dennis calls it "Left Wing." You and he are birds of a feather, though he thinks I am too liberal, and got into an argument with Galadria about assault weapons, calling her a "soccer mom."
She can't stand him.
Well I hope Galadria doesnt think ill of me for not agreeing with "assault Weapons" laws. But my argument there is due to the liberal inability to actually determine what is actuallly an assault weapon. IE. A young girl in California could not own her .22 Olympic Match pistol since under California law it is classified as an assault weapon. The states response to her on the issue was "If you want to participate in the Olympics you will have to move to another state." I was really torqued by that.