Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 08:32 PM   #211
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yes, a shield is a VERY nice weapon to have... it sits there, absorbing any hostile intent, until you finally get fed up!

wish the U.S. had one of those...

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-08-2001, 08:41 PM   #212
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
Hmmm no takers.

Come on, I want some intelligent discourse, not emotional reactions. Can anyone argue, comment or even agree on any point I made in this thread?

Argue with : we are only making more terrorists and more reason for their actions.

Argue with : 3 1/2 weeks is a short time to come to any recourse. It is hasty action we take. We could have sent Jesse Jackson, or Jimmy Carter, or at least tried in some fashion, instead of making threats and demands which is most undiplomatic.

Argue with: "thou shall not kill" and "do unto others". And dont go quoting other scriptures, thats dodging the issue. My sunday school teacher use to try that, feel sorry for her having to deal with my " dont bow to authority without question " self .

And calling any weapon "smart" is an oxymoron in my book.
I've seen plenty. If you fail to acknowledge them, why would people respond to you again?

Oh I think a shield is a smart weapon to have.

Hmmmm, but I was refering to direct and consise intelligent discourse. Is this your way of saying you haven't any?

BTW a shield is primarliy a peice of armor, it is a weapon secondarily, only to specialized fighters.
The pen is the only smart weapon.

Old 10-08-2001, 08:46 PM   #213
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Hmmm . . . let's see. Is not that the very reason you and others have been jumping up and down for quick military action, out of sense of near panic and fear of oh my god oh my god where will the terrorists strike next we have to do something now!!!!!!

Yep. That is exactly where you guys have been coming from since the WTC attack.

Those of us who really are living as you claimed, without giving in to fear, have been overidden by the mass panic driven rush.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 10-08-2001).]

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Diogenes, you know better and frankly I usually expect better of you!
Grandiose comments and sweeping generalizations.. sigh.. come on! Fear is not the only issue and I'm fairly sure it is NOT the overriding one. Sheesh! This is just so typical of how these threads can degenerate.

Dio, from what I've seen, most of us who support (and some advocate) the military action are doing so for various reasons. The need to avoid such loss of life as the WTC and Pentagon to future terrorist activity is high on that list. And it is believed that this will cripple ongoing terrorist plots as well as deter some future ones. Some people may consider it justice to find the murderers and punish them. But blind fear as you suggest, just doesn't look to be a big factor.

All I know is we will not solve the world's problems here, but we may very well alienate ourselves one from the other and I for one feel this community can and should be better than that.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-08-2001, 09:05 PM   #214
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Let me just repeat myself for posterity.

I know most of you love a good spirited debate, since most of you are quite strongly opinionated, if somewhat tactless about expressing opinions, serenely confident in your righteousness and in the other's wrongness. I personally don't have a problem with it unless you start making snide remarks about each other which don't have anything to do with the topic at hand, since this might eventually lead to shouting profanities at each other, which then becomes my problem. However, I'm sure will not happen, given that both of you are VERY good at exercising self-control, right?

It's actually quite funny listening to you bang heads at each other. Make sure you don't get headaches for no reason. The two most difficult things to do on the internet are: 1) admit that you can't change the other person's point of view; and 2) accept that failing to change the other person's point of view does NOT mean you have lost the argument.

------------------
Old 10-08-2001, 09:09 PM   #215
G'kar

Quote:
Hmmm . . . let's see. Is not that the very reason you and others have been jumping up and down for quick military action, out of sense of near panic and fear of oh my god oh my god where will the terrorists strike next we have to do something now!!!!!!

Yep. That is exactly where you guys have been coming from since the WTC attack.

Those of us who really are living as you claimed, without giving in to fear, have been overidden by the mass panic driven rush.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 10-08-2001).]
Fear is the root of ignorance and violence. How can one do anything but act out of fear if they dont even know they are afraid, in ignorance so to speak.
Be easy on those who are unknowingly in fear, You can't really blame a child for touching a hot stove if he didnt know any better.

Old 10-08-2001, 09:10 PM   #216
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
The pen is the only smart weapon.
And the most destructive. In any case you have now contradicted your earlier statement: "a smart weapon is an oxymoron".

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-08-2001, 09:12 PM   #217
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Diogenes, you know better and frankly I usually expect better of you!
Grandiose comments and sweeping generalizations.. sigh.. come on! Fear is not the only issue and I'm fairly sure it is NOT the overriding one. Sheesh! This is just so typical of how these threads can degenerate.

Dio, from what I've seen, most of us who support (and some advocate) the military action are doing so for various reasons. The need to avoid such loss of life as the WTC and Pentagon to future terrorist activity is high on that list. And it is believed that this will cripple ongoing terrorist plots as well as deter some future ones. Some people may consider it justice to find the murderers and punish them. But blind fear as you suggest, just doesn't look to be a big factor.

All I know is we will not solve the world's problems here, but we may very well alienate ourselves one from the other and I for one feel this community can and should be better than that.

Cloudy

*Appropriately chastised*

Sorry, but Yorick's comment to Epona about fear mongering in Britain, implying that the peace movement was driven by irrational fear, together with his smug comments about being above fear himself, were absolutely too much in light of the fact that one of the chief arguments for striking quickly against the terrorists has been the FEAR of what the terrorists might do next unless we move quickly.

An attitude that truly was not at least partially ruled by FEAR would be more patient in dealing with the problem. But no, those of us who have been calling for patience have been drowned out constantly by shrill cries of alarm and panic from the-sky-is-falling types. Any call for patience in the past few weeks has been instantly met with a chorus of "we can't wait any longer!!!!" And the reason behind the "we can't wait any longer!!" mentality -- obviously, fear.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:13 PM   #218
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Fear is the root of ignorance and violence. How can one do anything but act out of fear if they dont even know they are afraid, in ignorance so to speak.
Be easy on those who are unknowingly in fear, You can't really blame a child for touching a hot stove if he didnt know any better.
The child who touches the stove is fearless. After pain they have an understanding of why not to touch the stove, and thus are fearful of the stove.
However ignorance is the root of fear. The child would need to know that not all the stove is hot, and the stove is not always hot.

Knowledge creates fear, further knowledge removes fear.

Nothing is scarier than a person who has a little knowledge who thinks they know a lot. Enter Mr. Mullar Omar of the Taliban.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-08-2001, 09:21 PM   #219
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
*Appropriately chastised*

Sorry, but Yorick's comment to Epona about fear mongering in Britain, implying that the peace movement was driven by irrational fear, together with his smug comments about being above fear himself, were absolutely too much in light of the fact that one of the chief arguments for striking quickly against the terrorists has been the FEAR of what the terrorists might do next unless we move quickly.

An attitude that truly was not at least partially ruled by FEAR would be more patient in dealing with the problem. But no, those of us who have been calling for patience have been drowned out constantly by shrill cries of alarm and panic from the-sky-is-falling types. Any call for patience in the past few weeks has been instantly met with a chorus of "we can't wait any longer!!!!" And the reason behind the "we can't wait any longer!!" mentality -- obviously, fear.
I've said earlier in this thread that I believe one reason we didn't 'negotiate' longer was that we had intelligence to the effect it wouldn't work. The Taliban was not likely to hand Bin Laden over, for many reasons, but religious politics being one. So again, I do not think our leaders acted out of fear as you claim.

Dio.. you are shouting and carrying on so loudly and I'm only a few feet away.

Cloudy

------------------

CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 10-08-2001, 09:24 PM   #220
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Let me just repeat myself for posterity.

I know most of you love a good spirited debate, since most of you are quite strongly opinionated, if somewhat tactless about expressing opinions, serenely confident in your righteousness and in the other's wrongness. I personally don't have a problem with it unless you start making snide remarks about each other which don't have anything to do with the topic at hand, since this might eventually lead to shouting profanities at each other, which then becomes my problem. However, I'm sure will not happen, given that both of you are VERY good at exercising self-control, right?

It's actually quite funny listening to you bang heads at each other. Make sure you don't get headaches for no reason. The two most difficult things to do on the internet are: 1) admit that you can't change the other person's point of view; and 2) accept that failing to change the other person's point of view does NOT mean you have lost the argument.

Whooo! You'll blind us all, Mems! Hmmm.. not bad plan, we'd have to stop posting..

CB

------------------

CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Closed Thread