Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 05:37 AM   #121
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

I would consider my self an agnostic in terms of religion but I would ask that you don't offer to pray for me (just in case). I don't think it would be much of a reference.

LOL!!! - I agree with that part of what you said Donut.
I'm not replying fully yet - 5 pages of debate to get through first - but just to say that IMO it is sick an inhuman that anyone would CELEBRATE the death of another human being. I can't read the rest of the thread at the moment, because I feel physically ill that anyone could be this jubilant at anothers pain and sorrow.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 05:58 AM   #122
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
It is necessary to take some action against these terrorists. There will be civilian casualties and these are to be regretted.

Hopefully the Taleban Government will implode and some form of stability be returned to the area (whatever that may mean in Afghanistan). This will allow bin Laden and his cronies to be eliminated and the humanitarian crisis averted.

So it's a necessary day, and it's a sad day, but on no terms could it be called a GOOD day. It will be a GOOD day when it is over.

Liliara, I'm afraid I am completely unable to reconcile your total belief in the one, true , loving God with your celebration of war. Why are you so happy that people are dying? On another thread (which has unfortunately been deleted) you advocated the dropping of a thermonuclear weapon on Afghanistan. I note that you wanted the innocent to be moved out first! This wasn't a knee jerk reaction on the Sept 11, but a considered verdict after four weeks.

I would consider my self an agnostic in terms of religion but I would ask that you don't offer to pray for me (just in case). I don't think it would be much of a reference.

OY!!!(SP Yorick)

Did I really advocate the dropping of a 'thermonuclear bomb'? Must have been a long night! ( however it is quite effective) looks around...did I say that?

Anyway, did you bather to read the entire thread? I think not... if you had, you would know my thoughts and intentions. I am not a monster, I would like peace, however.... oh darn it...just read the thread! When you are done I'll be more than willing to answer your questions!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-08-2001, 06:00 AM   #123
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
LOL!!! - I agree with that part of what you said Donut.
I'm not replying fully yet - 5 pages of debate to get through first - but just to say that IMO it is sick an inhuman that anyone would CELEBRATE the death of another human being. I can't read the rest of the thread at the moment, because I feel physically ill that anyone could be this jubilant at anothers pain and sorrow.

Epona...your personal morals aside, there are plenty of reasons to be jubilant. America and Britain have struck the first blow in what should be a decisive series of blows against terror. We are fighting back. The(SEVERAL THOUSAND) corpses still lying under the rubble of the WTC are finally getting some justice. Those are all good reasons to be jubilant.

And, just for the record...I dont see anywhere in Liliara's, or anyone else's posts, anything that would indicate that they are jubilant over others pain. She, I, and others are happy that we have struck a blow.

And also, since we're on in that vein...I feel personally ill that anyone could be so lacking in essential fibre as to believe that talking the problem to death, or offering terms, or any other ridiculous peacenik solution has a hope of working. You dont meet force with a flower. You meet it with a bullet!

OUT!

EDIT: Guess I should have just went with my first instinct and said 'without the spine'. Sorry Epona. Hope that clears up the confusion for ya.
------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"

[This message has been edited by Nachtrafe (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 06:15 AM   #124
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
I feel personally ill that anyone could be so lacking in essential fibre as to believe that talking the problem to death, or offering terms, or any other ridiculous peacenik solution has a hope of working. You dont meet force with a flower. You meet it with a bullet!

So.. lacking in essential fibre am I? (whatever that means). Perhaps I don't see more dead children as a solution. Do you know what's happening in Pakistan right now? This military action has destabilised the entire region. It seems to me that some people want revenge and that bloodlust has taken over from sanity.

This 'war on terrorism' will only create more terrorists, and increase the influence of the Taliban in the region. That is not a solution, it is a bloodbath.

------------------

Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 06:22 AM   #125
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Liliara, I'm afraid I am completely unable to reconcile your total belief in the one, true , loving God with your celebration of war. Why are you so happy that people are dying? On another thread (which has unfortunately been deleted) you advocated the dropping of a thermonuclear weapon on Afghanistan. I note that you wanted the innocent to be moved out first! This wasn't a knee jerk reaction on the Sept 11, but a considered verdict after four weeks.

Donut, I think she toned that down and later said she was not happy at the killing/war so much as that action was being taken. (Liliara, if I'm not right here, feel free to say so!)

I know I posted that I felt sad at war in general but think this action is necessary. Probably back in the first few pages.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-08-2001, 06:26 AM   #126
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
OY!!!(SP Yorick)

Did I really advocate the dropping of a 'thermonuclear bomb'? Must have been a long night! ( however it is quite effective) looks around...did I say that?

Anyway, did you bather to read the entire thread? I think not... if you had, you would know my thoughts and intentions. I am not a monster, I would like peace, however.... oh darn it...just read the thread! When you are done I'll be more than willing to answer your questions!

It's Oi!. As in Oi! Gertchew cowson. gertcha! No point in asking an Aussie to spell a London term when you have the real McCoy.

Okay - I've read the whole thread a second time.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 10-08-2001, 06:31 AM   #127
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
So.. lacking in essential fibre am I? (whatever that means). Perhaps I don't see more dead children as a solution. Do you know what's happening in Pakistan right now? This military action has destabilised the entire region. It seems to me that some people want revenge and that bloodlust has taken over from sanity.

This 'war on terrorism' will only create more terrorists, and increase the influence of the Taliban in the region. That is not a solution, it is a bloodbath.

Why do people constantly invoke 'dead children' as some sort of a defense against doing what's neessary?? But, since we're on that vein, what about all the now orphaned children in NYC, and DC?? What about the widows and widowers. The families bereaved in my country and yours?? What about them???

BTW...how does a response a month in the planning, set up, and execution amount to 'bloodlust'? This is a thought out, reasoned, planned response. It hit specific targets, and engendered specific results. Yes, I'm sure that some people died, but really...all of the people of Afghanistan have known for 4 weeks that we are planning on attacking. UNLIKE THE VICTIMS IN NYC AND DC!!! They have had plenty of opportunity to flee. Anyone left isn't an innocent. They are knowingly residing in a war zone.

EDITTED for spelling. It goes to hell when I'm tired.
------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

[This message has been edited by Nachtrafe (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 06:35 AM   #128
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Why do people constantly invoke 'dead children' as some sort of a defense against doing what's neessary?? But, since we're on that vein, what about all the now orphaned children in NYC, and DC?? What about the widows and widowers. The families bereaved in my country and yours?? What about them???

BTW...how does a response a month in the planning, set up, and execution amount to 'bloodlust'? This is a thought out, reasoned, planned response. It hit specific targets, and engendered specific results. Yes, I'm sure that some people died, but really...all of the people of Afghanistan have known for 4 weeks that we are planning on attacking. UNLIKE THE VICTIMS IN NCY AND DC!!! They have had plenty of opportunity to flee. Anyone left isn't an innocent. They are knowingly residing in a war zone.

Knowingly residing in a war zone? Where the heck are they supposed to go Nachtrafe?

And yes, of course I feel for those who lost their lives on 11 September, but American lives are not more worthy, more important or more valuable than Afghani lives. People mention dead children in the vain hope that it may raise some feeling of compassion, however small.

My point remains that this action will not stop terrorism. If it is having any affect, it will be to STRENGTHEN terrorism. It is STRENGTHENING pro-Taliban forces in Pakistan.

------------------

Old 10-08-2001, 06:48 AM   #129
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

You know...I was going to go to bed...really I was. *Looks longingly at bed, sighs, and turns back to keyboard*

Quote:
Knowingly residing in a war zone? Where the heck are they supposed to go Nachtrafe?
Hmmm...Flee to the northern alliance? Pakistan? Usbekistan(sp)? Whereever all of the other refugees have been heading?

Quote:

And yes, of course I feel for those who lost their lives on 11 September, but American lives are not more worthy, more important or more valuable than Afghani lives. People mention dead children in the vain hope that it may raise some feeling of compassion, however small.
Wrong!! You do it for shock value. Pure and simple.

Quote:

My point remains that this action will not stop terrorism. If it is having any affect, it will be to STRENGTHEN terrorism. It is STRENGTHENING pro-Taliban forces in Pakistan.

Its going to be rather hard for those pro-taliban groups to have something to rally around when the Taliban are a bunch of smoking corpses. Sure, the fanatics can call them martyrs, but the majority will drift back to their normal lives.

Besides...after we root out these scumsuckers, the US is promising to help rebuild. Personally I think we should take it one step farther. Send the big railroads in. Give them infrastructre. Bring in engineers. Give them sewers, electricity, cheap food, education. Nintendo's! Seriously...imagine this conversation...

Extremist Father: Come son, we have to take up the Jihad of our hero Osama Bin Laden and punish the Great Shiatan, The West!!!

Son(Currently playing Super Mario Brothers on his 36" TV and drinking a Coke): *SLURP* Yeah Dad...whatever. Can it wait til I beat this level?

------------------

Old 10-08-2001, 06:51 AM   #130
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I kinda feel like you do Fljotsdale. I mean, I may feel certain rodents or bugs as pests, but I try not to kill them. To tell the truth, the only thing I hate is HATE. If something or someone is evil, I am viscious in supportng the pursuance of their deaths (sorry but that is the way I feel). But things like Animals and bugs, well, they don't have the intelligence to be deceitful, or intentionally evil, they just are trying to survive. Nothing wrong with that, if they didn't have that endurance, then they would go extinct, and our planet would suffer for that in many ways, depending on the "species," cause every species has its place, and it purpose. But evil, well, different story. Our planet, our world, will do just fine without evil. And evil isn't something that you can deal lightly with, if anything, Evil needs a bit of what Larry has to dish out LOL.! In my opinion, at least right now, tonight, I would have no problem seeing the Taliban drowned, flushed out, and beheaded. Fit for them. And a huge favor for the world, and goodness all round. Evil will always be evil, you cannot change these people, only take them out so they cannot harm anyone anymore...

Everybody has to learn to stand above hate. It's a feeling no human being can ignore, but every human being can handle it and convert it to wisdom. We must learn/know how to use those feelings. I might sound a bit (or alot) like a philosopher now

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
I'd be Mirac, mighty mage of er... uhm.. er.. - Mirac Honorguard
Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
Closed Thread