Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2002, 01:22 AM   #1
otter
Elminster

When i first got Wiz-8, i fooled around a little in -7 to set up my import, bouncing around between games to see the results. I have since had a crash, losing all my saves from -7, so i'm stuck with the ones i imported or going through -7
...Hey! I could see if a Fairy Ninja can solo -7! Anyway, when i want to play -8 with a smaller party, i have to let some die; this seems to be making the fights too easy, even on expert i can't get any metallic slimes in lower monastery, anybody know about that?

I am also curious whether anyone has compiled more stats about char's stats, skills, equipment, etc. as imported. I know the skills (except magical) come in at 20% of the Wiz-7 value, and they have a few points more than stat minimums for the class they left as, but i only know how much for a limited # of races & classes.

Or am i considered wimpy for importing? I just really have an attachment; for years Wiz-7 was my favorite sit-down activity.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:35 AM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The best thing i think is to start a brand new party! i also innported my wiz 7 party but it was for me not good at all so i made a new party and i was wery happy about that! :cool:
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I haven't really compiled the stats, but I have imported several parties as tests. I have even edited some Wiz 7 saves and then imported them to test that. Here are a couple of things that I have found.

• Total stats (str, dex, int, ...) are slightly higher than total provided by the same race/class combo from new team. However, they are more spread out, you do not get to build the character.
  • Only a limited number of magical items will import. For example, if you have a magical upper and lower armor that can be imported, only the upper will import. If you have just the lower, it will import. It is usually only one magical type. (one armor, one sword, one bow, one instrument)
For me, the push over the top was the equipment that I could import. Because the stats were more spread out, my characters cannot get the elite skills as fast as if I created them from scratch. But some of the equipment was well worth it. For example, I imported the Mystery Ray which does not need armor and allows a character to build on his modern weapon skills. I also imported the Stun Rod, which turns Vi into a real tank right away. The one thing that I really wanted was the Cornu of Demonspawn, which allows my bard to banish ghosts much earlier than my priest or bishop could hope to. It saved my tail more than once at the graveyard. (I was foolish enough to go there at night.)
If your goal is character developement, you have much more control when you build your character from scratch. However, I like the equipment and the story line as well. You get slightly different responses from NPC's. And some of my characters were too close to me (after many, many replays of Wiz 7) to let go. I played one party with all new characters and right now am using an imported party.

It really all depends on what you like. Try both and see the differences. Wiz 8 is so replayable, you could have several parties that you play with.

Good Luck,
Knarfling
Old 04-05-2002, 04:54 AM   #4
Oruboris

Hi gang! New to the forum, looks like fun.

Just started 8 as I've been trying to hunt down enough hardware to get the ol' 486 running so I can import one of my winning parties from crusaders. Have played a few hours to get used to the new game though.

My last winning party was a solo female fairy ninja. Had all spells, 999 mana in all categories and ungodly stats thanks to frequent profession changes. Looks like 8 doesn't allow this as easily: levels are character based, so you can't instantly and repeatedly level after switching... darn! Oh, she wasn't totally solo: had a deceased lizard fighter named 'Lugage' to haul her stuff around...

So how do I get into that safe and the door requireing round key in starter dungeon/monestary?

Thanks, and e you soon,

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 01:34 PM   #5
otter
Elminster

the key to the safe is in the room with scattered corpses and a statue holding a skull. touch the skull, a small panel opens low on the wall behind her.
The wheel key is in Arnika temple.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:02 AM   #6
Oruboris

Oh no! only thing I did in that room was fall into bottomless pit! I'm an idiot...

So, how do you open or activate that thing where you turn the knob and push the botton, behind the locked door? Anything cool in there?

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote