Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2001, 05:08 PM   #11
hammer

I've got a dwarf fighter up front (appropriately named Poynt) who's a Grand Master in axe -- virtual regenerating tankdude, with couple points in flail for the bonefolks (or go mace or hammer, but I've found better flails). Lot's of great axes in the game, one & two handed, not the least of which is the +2 throwing axe, with which he can soften up (and often take out) any approaching enemies. And it comes back to you! No need to clutter the inventory with ammo. When they get too close, if you've got no summoneded minions as a buffer, he can switch to a melee weapon and finish them off, if they get that far, what with all the missles and spells pouring over his shoulder, right?

For an elven fighter, bow and longsword, naturally. Which brings me to another point: why can't I give more than three points to any ranged weapon-- bow, crossbow, missile? Drives me nuts. I always like to have one or two or three grand masters in a party; makes things go so much smoother, heh. Another good reason for going for axes in IWD. The throwing axe still get the mastery bonuses, which at max, + 3 to hit, +5 damage, is awesome. Your foes will fall before you like blades of grass before the scythe. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

By the time your Paladin finds Pale Justice in Lower Dorns', every Paladins' best longsword buddy, he or she will be proficient in a bunch of weapons, so feel free to spread those points around, two each in two slots to start.
Old 01-24-2001, 05:57 PM   #12
Trickle

Not much time to reply, but imho....

* +4 'shocking'(or something flail that stuns and does extra damage.
* +4 'Lifegiver' 2HS sword. (also a good 2HS sword that does extra damge in the same place)
* +4 1 extra attack long sword.
* +3 bastard sword with 15 resistance to all mele attacks +2AC

No really good hanners - standard +4 is about as good as Ive found. Best mace is a +4 +1AC (iirc - not sure on that). Axes are a bit thin on the ground too, though the +2 throwing axe is excelent.

Theres a +4 halberd (nothing special), A +5 spear - again, nothing special. Virtually no staffs for meleing with. Very poor scimiters.

Your best off looking at a site that has all the weapons listed, such as BGDungeon.com though I cant say Ive come across all the ones listed there. Also, the weapons favored in the ecxpansion may differ in what they favor. Hopefully all the 2Handers will be better.

Therte are some things that always stay the same form one GRPG to another. leric Flails tend to be better meleeing that Maces, but often lack extra spells/wis etc. 2handers usually tend to be not worth losing the AC of a shield for.
Old 01-25-2001, 04:19 PM   #13
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

There's an awesome mace that gives an extra attack and either lowers ac or raises dex...
There are also two sanctified hammers (greater and lesser) that give extra priest spells when equipped. also there's at least one stun and one acid hammer that i've seen. IWD is a cleric's game.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 04:34 PM   #14
Trickle

Eeek. Best edit my erlier post as it looks like most of the +4 weapons are being removed (for new games rather than continued) from the expansion.

See here ->
http://redqueendesign.com/marchhamme...ML/000349.html
Old 01-27-2001, 05:15 PM   #15
G.W.

Good! So that's what they mean when they say some old encounters have been tweaked...
Old 02-07-2001, 12:13 AM   #16
Panther

I think the name of the sword for Paladin is "Pale Justice" but I am not sure about the stats.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:32 PM   #17
Hesperex

You do get one awsome scimitar in the game, u get it off the Thief Marketh in Lower dorns I can't remember the name of it buts its a scimitar +3 with a speed factor of 0 that gives u one extra atack per round, yea yea I know u might think it's nothing special but if yur like me and prefur speed and dexterity over brute strength and armour class then it's great Also Jorils Axe is pretty good 1d12 + 4 I think but gives u -1 to constitution and is 2 handed, not realy my style but dwarf players should like it lots. Lonesome round which you can buy is pretty good, and the Long Bow of Hammering which you can find in maiden illmaters hut (but not always)is probably my favourite weapon it's awsome
also Frostbrand Drizzt's future scimitar is damn good. My m8 doesnt think much of Frostbrand but I thinks it's great to be wielding Drizzt Do'Urdens future weapon. and then theres Alminion which is the long sword +3 you get from maiden Illmater which is damn good and looks very nice to.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:40 PM   #18
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

yeah, that "valiant" scimitar you get of marketh is pretty cool (one of the best druid weapons).. but there's a cooler longsword that gives an extra attack and is at least a +3 and gives some other cool ability... i know it's somewhere in lower dorn(near maiden illmadia?) cuz I saw some folx come across it after haivng defeated marketh.. it;s gotta be random though, so keep reloading!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 01:26 PM   #19
Hesperex

Leafy

I can't be sure about this but the sword your talking about could be The Long Sword of action +3, i might be wrong but i's just seems to ring a bell.