Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #31
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

18/00 is never easy.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #32
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Klorox:
18/00 is never easy.
Especially in conjunction with a total of 92 stat points. I do not know your definition of easy, but if it is a stat roll that requires more than 10 mins of rolling, I define it as not easy.

Additionally, the bonus dmg from STR for slings is nice and all, but I think you give too much credit to its' potential contribution to battle. It may save you from slinging an extra shot now and then, but in the grand scheme of things, it is one of those perks that you can live without.

Again, nice to have, but not essential. I would rather pump up other stats first before considering getting a STR higher than 15.

Besides, you get the Lvl2 spell, Strength, quite early in the game.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:19 AM   #33
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Correct me if i am wrong ... This page implies that str improves skills with slings. I thought dex would improve ranged skills. That's why I usually keep my archers with cat's grace on.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #34
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Slings and thrown weapons benefit from STR dmg bonuses in IWD.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #35
Ultra Marine
The Magister

OIC. Does bows benefit from str also?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #36
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

No.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #37
ZFR
Legion Symbol

the way it's supposed to be (and is in BG series), is that DEX improves ranged, but only thac0, not damage. Except throwing daggers/axes which are treated like mellee.

In IWD, for some strange reason, slings are added to the exception list and are treated as mellee. Everything else works like normal.

Don't know if it was intended by designers this way. If it was a mistake, they had plenty of patches to correct it. Since Black Isle no longer exists, I suppose we'll never really find out.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:49 PM   #38
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
the way it's supposed to be (and is in BG series), is that DEX improves ranged, but only thac0, not damage. Except throwing daggers/axes which are treated like mellee.

In IWD, for some strange reason, slings are added to the exception list and are treated as mellee. Everything else works like normal.

Don't know if it was intended by designers this way. If it was a mistake, they had plenty of patches to correct it. Since Black Isle no longer exists, I suppose we'll never really find out.
Nono, Slings benefiting from STR is not an exception, it is the rule. Composite Longbows NOT benefiting from STR is the real exception to the rule.

Also, to avoid confusion, throwing weapons and slings and NOT treated as always melee. They do in fact, benefit from DEX when in ranged mode.

If slings were treated as melee, you would not suffer any penalties when in close combat, which is false, because slings are in fact, treated as ranged, as it should be.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 AM   #39
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I am confused now ...

Sling; dex improves to-hit and str improves damage. So a high str F/D benefits.

Darts; same as slings but its kind of dumb to carry so many darts in ones pocket.

Returning Axe+2; dex improves to-hit and str improves damage. So the 18/00 dwarf fighter above with cat’s grace and grand master in axe will be the ultimate archer!

Bows; dex improves to-hit but str does nothing. So, an elf thief/mage equals an elf F/T in terms of damage from bows assuming using a same bow and not counting apr.

Since it is possible to get grand master in slings and only 3*** in bows then slingers beats archers all the time.

Ok, I don’t sound like I am making much sense at all ...
Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 AM   #40
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Marine:
I am confused now ...

Sling; dex improves to-hit and str improves damage. So a high str F/D benefits.
Yes.

Quote:

Darts; same as slings but its kind of dumb to carry so many darts in ones pocket.
Throwing Axes/Daggers are the only Throwing Weapons that benefit from STR Bonus Damage.

Darts do benefit from DEX THAC0 Bonuses though.

Quote:

Returning Axe+2; dex improves to-hit and str improves damage. So the 18/00 dwarf fighter above with cat’s grace and grand master in axe will be the ultimate archer!
Not quite, you forgot about the Attacks per Round(ApR). Also, the main damage from using Bows comes from the AMMUNITION.

(Arrow Damage + Bow Bonus Damage) * ApR >= (Returning Axe +2 + STR Bonus Damage) * ApR

Quote:

Bows; dex improves to-hit but str does nothing. So, an elf thief/mage equals an elf F/T in terms of damage from bows assuming using a same bow and not counting apr.

Since it is possible to get grand master in slings and only 3*** in bows then slingers beats archers all the time.

Ok, I don’t sound like I am making much sense at all ...
Again, you forgot to take into account ApR and ammunition damage.