Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 04:02 PM   #1
Jenas Rhodry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'd like to open a disscussion on what modifications people have made to the rules while playing ad&d.
To open the topic I'll mention one of the many changes my group has made. In order to make combat more exciting we changed the parrying rules as follows.
A parry is reactive action(meaning it can be done at any time as long as you have an unused action left in the round) and is simply an opposed attack roll(i.e. if an orc attacks you and hit armor class 2 then you need to hit ac 2 or better to parry the attack.) this uses one attack from the weapon used.
I hope I've explained this all right, if not please tell me and I'll try harder>
If life is problems and living is solving problems then death must be a total lack of problems.<br />So come let me end all your problems!<br /><br />Jenas Rhodry Bard Blade Doomguard Factotum and all around \"nice guy\"
Old 05-01-2002, 04:05 PM   #2
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

I think I get where youre headed with it......
But you need to explain it better...
Old 05-01-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
Jenas Rhodry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Perhaps it would be easier to say when attacked in melee you can sacrifice one attack to attempt to block it to do so requires that you hit an armour class equal to or better than your attacker did
hence if the attacker hits armour class 3 then the parryer needs to hit armour class 3 or lower.
I hope that is clearer if not perhaps someone who gets it might be better at explaining it (I hope!).
If life is problems and living is solving problems then death must be a total lack of problems.<br />So come let me end all your problems!<br /><br />Jenas Rhodry Bard Blade Doomguard Factotum and all around \"nice guy\"
Old 05-01-2002, 04:34 PM   #4
Nanaki3
The Magister

What is AD&D?
Old 05-01-2002, 05:48 PM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Nanaki.

I think the only modification my brother and I made to the game was that we always took it for granted that we had 'initiative' during melee battles (therefore not using a die to decide it). Ground-breaking news, I know

Old 05-01-2002, 06:36 PM   #6
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

[img]smile.gif[/img] I'm playing with a group that has interesting house rules...

1. When you make a Character, DM does a "God" roll. You have the right not to take it. It's on a 20 sider and it takes the place of one of your stats. I got a 15 and put that in place of my 7 dex (really crappy set of rolls). My buddy got a 19 - Strength.

2. You have a 2 times your level change of praying to your god for help at any time (divine intervention). Very handy for a first level party to pray when they see a dragon go overhead that it doesn't spot them...but the DM can say no, like you pray to your gods that it smites the dragon. Not gonna do it.

3. We play 2nd edition Skills and Powers rules..not sure if anyone has heard of 'em...but there is this thing called Character Points. Use 'em to reroll 1's and can use them to train, ect. So your Mage can use 15 of them to be able to use Chain Mail (with 20% minus level chance of miscasting) or your Cleric can be proficient in Long Swords...or your Half-Orc can be a Paladin...you know, the normal stuff...remember, they are DnD Guide books, not Set in Stone rule books. DM has final say in everything...

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 05-01-2002, 07:05 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I think that modifying items is pretty interesting... Once in a game with a buddy of mine in Bath, I obtained an item from FF Tactics, actually it was a technique from Final Fantasy 2 (also known as FF4 to you non importers -_-) it basically allows me to jump to any location and any distance at any height once per day without umm killing myself from 1: the jump and 2: the landing it works in combat too... i created a technique called Death From Above, and it works quite nicely [img]smile.gif[/img] it basically works by rolling a thaco roll for all the enemies simultaneously and then damage is rolled for each one seperatley, the ammount of turns taken while UP in the air are counted by a dice 20 roll and that roll adds onto the ammount of damage dealt to each oponent... for example.. i roll a 5, 5 turns up in the air I come down, after only being hit by missiles that have enough dex to even hit me, I roll, lets say an 18, thats good enough to hit... ummm 5 skeletons.. ok so i use my spear (the item cannot be projectile and must be high-level damage) ok so I roll 5 thats 5+5 so 10 damage is dealt to the first OR all skeletons pending on how the DM rules it... if not all then either another roll is made or we just call it a day... the other skeletons were too far away or something I dunnow its all up to the DM really

[ 05-01-2002, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 05-01-2002, 07:34 PM   #8
Jenas Rhodry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Black Knight

In reference to your point 3 my group also uses the skills and powers rules with two major (and who knows how many minor) changes which are

1/ Characters can take abilities from classes other than the one they belong to at a cost of 5 extra character points per ability if they are in the same broad class i.e. fighter & ranger and 10 extra points if not i.e. fighter & bard subject to Dm approval

2/ Spell casters now have magic points taken from the Spells & Magic book but don't use them to memorise spells they just spend the points to cast a spell they know
Old 05-01-2002, 07:45 PM   #9
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenas Rhodry:
2/ Spell casters now have magic points taken from the Spells & Magic book but don't use them to memorise spells they just spend the points to cast a spell they know
So they are a point mage? The way my DM runs it is you have your Mage book (the Mage in our party has 3...) and he is allow to do say 200 points of spells - but a Magic Missle is 10 points, while a fireball is 40, etc etc.

Oh, and our DM does do a bit of ... changing on the cross-over stuff... usually needs double for cross-class skills.

OH and I just though of another thing we do. We have each rolled about 3 characters. We have a character tree. So if one of your character dies - or they all get trapped and thrown in jail (it happens) then you already have another character to move forward in the great schemes of the world. Here's the neat part. For each character that is not Dead or in jail or something, they get a percentage of the main character's XP for each adventure. So, I have a Samuri that is now 6th level and I've never played him. Only bad thing is you only get two character points per level - the other way you can get up to five per our DM - but you can get more if you do something extraordinary cool - like I killed a Roc with one turn (two 20s and I'm 18-78 with a +3 sword and a Master Bladesman...rolled a 12 damage both times - wasn't pretty...hehe

Oh and does anyone else collect blood and feathers for cash? We have an Alchemist in the party who has us collect things (I just recently got 32 ounces of Cloud Giant blood - looking to get me Girdles of Cloud Giant Strength )

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 05-01-2002, 07:54 PM   #10
Jenas Rhodry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight
OH and I just though of another thing we do. We have each rolled about 3 characters. We have a character tree. So if one of your character dies - or they all get trapped and thrown in jail (it happens) then you already have another character to move forward in the great schemes of the world. Here's the neat part. For each character that is not Dead or in jail or something, they get a percentage of the main character's XP for each adventure
My group once disscussed something similar involving an adventuring guild but nothing came of it as they tend to get very attached to their characters.