Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2002, 06:52 PM   #1
Stormhammer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just got a new PC, this one with Windows XP. I had been playing BG2 using Windows 98 using my old system. Will I be able to play BG2 with XP? And will my saved games and characters using Win 98 work in XP? If not, is there anything I can do?
Many Thanks,
Stormhammer
Stormhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

It ought to. [img]smile.gif[/img] There's nothing really materially different about XP Home Edition when it comes to applications compared to Win 98/Me. You won't be able to run any old DOS games, but few folk play those nowadays anyway.

XP Home edition isn't like Windows 2000 Professional, which was really persnickety about games.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 08:21 PM   #3
Stormhammer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Many thanks, Sazerac. Happy hunting in the realm.
Stormhammer
Stormhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
robohobodude
The Magister

yeah all you gotta do is back up your saved games onto a floppy disk reinsert it into saved file after you load up xp and begin playing.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:45 AM   #5
Orion

Actually you can run some of your old dos based games in XP if you put it in compatability mode for win95. At least I can run all of mine, not that there is a need for it too often but anyway I think that is one of the best features of XP. Well then again I'm not sure if you can do this in the home edition.