Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2001, 07:04 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Magic sux. Like it's REALLY believable. Worst part of the game for me. Yeah, like I see people spurting flame form their fingertips or summoning skeletons all the time.

Stupidist thing is Clerics. Priests can't cast spells. Oh that's right. They're MIRACLES. What I don't get is how come people die in Faerun? I mean why doesn't EVERYBODY take their mates down to the temple to get raised?

And Bards? Bards with magic suck. Other than backmasking records or stealing hearts, whoever heard of musicians making magic?

I wish they'd ban magic from ALL Ad&d games. It's evil anyway. Manipulating someones mind defies one of the fundamental laws of existence. It's just so wrong in real life so why have it in a game?

(insert picture of little orange guy shooting) This is what I'm gonna do to every magic user in BG2. Edwin, whiney useless son-of-a-horse is first, then Aerie-fairy, Jan and every other charcter that uses magic of any kind. INCLUDING MINSC AND KELDORN! Candy arsed losers.
So there.
-The Devils Advocate-

This is the only way I'll be able to get close to Angry lil'mans 70+ posts.
Can't believe you beat me to it Memnoch. I was thinking about doing this all day, and then you have to pip me to the post!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 07:40 AM   #2
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

you askin for it Yorick... a debate is a debate... i totally believe you are WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY .................................................. .................... way wrong that magic sux... here is my own logic for this if you want to know....

1) im a mage (hehe) what an argument! i imagine your just gonna say "so what??"
2) anyway (a wee bit serious now) magic is very important in the world of d&d as well as bg2. that is why so many people are interested in bg2 because it is a FANTASY WORLD and ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE... almost all of the most powerful people are one way or another related to magic... Elfminister, GOrion, Saverok, Bhall and everyone else are some what related to magic ... heck! ALL THE GODS ARE MAGIC... without magic... hmmm... let me put it this way...

this is a really interesting argument since this reminds me of the time when i was still reading the sword of truth series... in the book, the people say that they can live without magic or anything reltated to magic... well let me say this to you Yorick as what the main character said to them (well close to it)... "everything is magic in this world, without it you wouldnt be living here..." if you dont get it... well let me put it this way... you cant be born in this world without magic... it is true sex = sperm+egg = baby BUT how about the soul of the body... where does it come from... its MAGIC...

secondly to you answers againt the clerics... you say that why cant you just bring all your dead people into the temple and have them raised right?? well there is really a flaw in the game of bg2... people cant just be raised in the true harcore rulez in d&d... i think the creators just did that because alot of people would be crying thier hearts out because they cant ressurect thier npc after more than a couple of hours... secondly clerics would need more than a fulls day rest when they ressurect somebody... and third thier god doesnt ressurect just anybody you know... fourth- the ressurection is quite expensive and only the high class can afford them... fifth- didnt you notice at the start that you cant ressurect Khalid anymore? (the husband of Jahera and he wuz alive during bg1)

3rd= you think bards suck because music makes magic... hmmm let me ask a question with a question my dear Yorick... why does a sword kill a person or why do we breath air no water? Answer: because it is like that and we cant do anything about it. The creators of bg2 as well as d&d made it that way... besides it is quite interesting concept dont you think? try reading (if your an avid reader) spellsong wars series... thier magic is totally based on music or the bardsong series (sorry i forgot the authors)

hey hey hey... manipulating someones minds may be quite indecent and quite wrong ... but do not blame magic for the cause of that... if we are talkin real life here... then your might as well putting the blame on the hackers, government, and the real life gypsies in thier world... dont forget that we have real psychics too in this world that can make things float... isnt that MAGIC??

whew (fingers are shaking) man what a long argument... anyway... ps Yorick: sorry if i cant reply right away (if you replay back to my argument) ... i have school, assignments PLUS i live in the south east asia with a biggy time differece here... oh yeah... this post might overtake ltl mans post... GL with that.
Zoratorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 07:41 AM   #3
Arak

You're right Yorick, in all but one thing, Music is the closest thing to magic you'll ever get.

Oh, and i'd like to see you kick Minscs behind, you'd have Boo all over you in seconds biting and squiking and kicking with his little legs.
Old 01-04-2001, 08:02 AM   #4
Moiraine
Anubis

I am a little off topic, but it reminds me of a discussion I have had recently.
Why, oh why, in EVERY fantasy world or book or movie or game or whatever, people free themselves with earthly rules via magic and such, but NEVER free themselves of gravity ?
I mean, if I am a gnome, I am small, so I cannot hold much weight, "because it is not realistic" ...
WHAT ?!? In the first place, gnomes do not exist, so why could a gnome-that-does-not-possibly-exist-in-a-world-that-is-not-real hold 1000 tons of equipment ???
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 08:11 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Yes, yes very good Moiraine (did you get my last email BTW?). I heard a radio interview with Raymond E. Fiest of 'Magician' fame and he brought up that phenomenen.
He said it was important to establish a set of rules (no matter what they were) and consistently adhere to them. What then became 'unbelievable' was then in relation to the preset laws of the fantasy realm.

Gnomes are deemed to be weaker, yet their cousins the Dwarves are hardier even than humans!
Old 01-04-2001, 08:18 AM   #6
Moiraine
Anubis

Yes, I agree with the fact that a set of rules is needed, otherwise the game or book would be really boring, but my point was : why are people more reluctant to change some rules than to change another ?
I mean, in our real world, somebody very small cannot hold much, OK, and somebody dead cannot live again, OK, and in AD&D, people can accept that raising dead people is possible, but they just cannot accept somebody tiny could hold a whole building on his back.
One day, I will just write a Fantasy book, and make MY set of rules. Ha !
Old 01-04-2001, 08:20 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

What about 'Mighty Mouse'?
Old 01-04-2001, 08:28 AM   #8
Moiraine
Anubis

If I do not want any reader of an age greater than 3, I should just choose this title !
Old 01-04-2001, 08:31 AM   #9
Arak

Was Mighty Mouse always super strong or did he have to eat something or was that some other character??
Old 01-04-2001, 08:34 AM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

What, like 'Bananaman?