Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #21
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
The two above points are why I stoped playing this game.

I went in search of some mushrooms and ended up walking for days. When I finally found my way back to civilisation, I was around the first town. Did I mention I also got lost when I went from the first to second town?

I didn't really enjoy walking around empty areas with the occasional random cave.
Well, getting lost can happen, but it is all part of the Morrowind experiance. It is great when it happens, but you can just use the map to back track if you really wanted to.

And I'd assume you were lost in the Bitter Coast, because that is the most desolate region out there. But certain areas are designed to be harsh and unihabited, while others aren't.
[/QUOTE]Well I moved on to games that are designed to be lively and inhabited. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Exploring the wilderness when there is something to see and find is fun, but just walking around in empty forests and mountains with no way to know how to get out is not.

I liked exploring around in Baldur's Gate 1. The main map showed me where I was in the world, and I was sure every area would have something to see. I liked Might and Magic for the same reason. I wasn't just walking around with no sense of direction in a computer generated filer landscape.

I found Morrowind to be just too big and empty. I would have probably liked it way better if it was half as big, and if there was both a minimap and a worldmap that showed me my exact position.

[ 08-29-2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 08-30-2004, 01:38 AM   #22
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
quote:
quote:
The two above points are why I stoped playing this game.

I went in search of some mushrooms and ended up walking for days. When I finally found my way back to civilisation, I was around the first town. Did I mention I also got lost when I went from the first to second town?

I didn't really enjoy walking around empty areas with the occasional random cave.
Well, getting lost can happen, but it is all part of the Morrowind experiance. It is great when it happens, but you can just use the map to back track if you really wanted to.

And I'd assume you were lost in the Bitter Coast, because that is the most desolate region out there. But certain areas are designed to be harsh and unihabited, while others aren't.
[/QUOTE]Well I moved on to games that are designed to be lively and inhabited. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Exploring the wilderness when there is something to see and find is fun, but just walking around in empty forests and mountains with no way to know how to get out is not.

I liked exploring around in Baldur's Gate 1. The main map showed me where I was in the world, and I was sure every area would have something to see. I liked Might and Magic for the same reason. I wasn't just walking around with no sense of direction in a computer generated filer landscape.

I found Morrowind to be just too big and empty. I would have probably liked it way better if it was half as big, and if there was both a minimap and a worldmap that showed me my exact position.
[/QUOTE]True, very true. But it adds a sense of realism to the game, afterall not every part of the woods has places.

However, I can see where you are going with this and I also agree that they should maybe have some of the wilderness with some sort of hidden temple/ruin or something.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:41 AM   #23
DalekBoy
The Magister

Ruins would be good, but i liked trekking through a desolate swamp. it was fun, trying to guess how far i was from anywhere. i went there because i wanted to, and mangaed to get to Gnaar Mok.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #24
Dadams1
Drow Warrior

The Morrowind world needed to have more... Stuff in it. Definitely. In the wilderness, more passive animals, more sounds, more trees, more underbrush... Definitely more bandit camps and ruins and dungeons. Also, one big problem I have (even though it's pretty menial) is that when it rains, you can't go anywhere for cover. I mean, not that the rain is bad, but if you go under a rock or tree or roof, the rain is still falling. It is annoying.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:34 PM   #25
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
I want them to streamline the hoss of a game...I mean, seriously, I can stand a little bit of glitching every now and again, but if the game was only the size of ESIII GOTY ("ONLY" being used half-heartedly), but didn't have so many crashes and glitches, and had a tighter battle system (as in, decide whether hits are determined by stats or aim, not the current mix of both) then I would be happy with it...

PROGRAMMERS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST KEEP IT FROM CRASHING SO OFTEN!!!
It never is going to happen. Or at least the bigtime games like Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Arena. Reason is because they are so advanced in their time and it's hard to stop all glitching and imperfections with games these sizes. [/QUOTE]Lol I disagree. Course it could happen and has with many games. Just because some companies who create fantasy rpg's do a very bad job at keeping these games bug-free does not mean that all do this. It's not about being advanced at all. If it was then people would have no crashes or problems with them at the moment since they've been out a few years already - but they still do. With proper playtesting and some kind of beta such problems can be avoided. A buggy engine is a buggy engine, just look at Bioware and their terrible engine choices.

Many games have broke with the norm or done the 'impossible' and were released and received without a hitch.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:29 AM   #26
DalekBoy
The Magister

I never found glitching too bad a problem, but, im a freak, so dont listen to me. however, i do agree with Dadams1 about the wierd rain thing. maybe some simple rain sound and lighting effects to replace the rain flying through the roof in a now-ruined masterpiece of a climatic battle, a-la every old-styled melodrama in the known universe.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:44 PM   #27
Master Asia
Welcomed New User

One more small thing I'd like to see fixed...aiming, specifically when firing at an angle downward. It never felt very accurate.
Master Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:51 PM   #28
DalekBoy
The Magister

really? I guess that explains not being able to hit the mudcrab thing. i agree then
Old 09-04-2004, 09:00 PM   #29
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:

Exploring the wilderness when there is something to see and find is fun, but just walking around in empty forests and mountains with no way to know how to get out is not.

I've just tested a mod that fill up things in one loading area, my goodness the framerate drop and I can hardly move. If this is the case, maybe the wilderness and other parts of morrowind is left as big and empty so that the framerate doesn't drop drastically.

The map that originally comes with the game is good enough to show me where I am and where I'm heading ( you can switch between local and world map ). It takes some time to get used to it.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:23 AM   #30
DalekBoy
The Magister

I never found any trouble, you just need to know where your facing.