Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Shocked Beware of Fish

From Yahoo Weird News...

Quote:
Fish flies out of lake, breaks Arkansas teen's jawLITTLE ROCK, Ark. - It's a fishing tale that packs a wallop so strong it broke the jaw of a southeastern Arkansas teen and covered him in fish blood and guts.

Seth Russell, 15, of Crossett, was cruising Lake Chicot on a large inner tube towed by a boat when a Silver Asian carp leaped from the water and smacked him in the face. Seth was knocked unconscious.

"He doesn't remember anything at all," the boy's mother, Linda Russell, said last week. "He was laughing, and the next thing he remembers, he is waking in a hospital."

The teen has had oral surgery to wire several teeth together and still experiences back pain that doctors attribute to whiplash from the high-speed collision, his mother said.

He's not the only one who's has a run-in with the "flying" Silver Asian carp.

"They do not fly, but they are quite good jumpers," said Carole Engle, director of aquaculture and the fisheries center at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. "Over the past year, we have had some calls about fish jumping and causing injuries on Lake Chicot.

"Their jumping behavior is a problem, and their population appears to be growing there," Engle said.

Silver Asian carp were first imported to the United States in the 1970s. Catfish farmers brought them here to remove algae and other suspended matter from their ponds. The Environmental Protection Agency started a program allowing cities to use the fish to help clean the water in sewer treatment plant ponds.
___
Information from: The Morning News, http://www.nwaonline.net/
But won't all the chicks be impressed that he got his teeth knocked out by a carp...?

Hey, I'm just trying to look for something positive in here... and after thinking about the damage that carp did, he has my sympathies. Too bad it wasn't something like a pike or walleye... a fish that's got a reputation for being tough, mean, and nasty. Getting beat up by a carp is like getting beat up by Barney the purple dinosaur, unfortunately... even if he *IS* a six-foot dinosaur...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.

Last edited by Bungleau; 09-08-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Beware of Fish

Weird news, or just bad timing maybe.

This reminds me of what happened to Fabio some years back when he was on the roller-coaster and got a bird in the face. He was pretty bloodied.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

i"ve heard of these before, even though its carp..Its not normal carp lol;

A better comparison between barney and carp, would be barney on steriods vs you. Because these things grow , afaik , bigger than normal carps , and they "fly" pretty strongly (even though its just really big jumps).

And yes, that was one, big, run-on
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I saw a doco a year or two ago about the carp problem in that river/lake system (forget which). The most memorable anecdote being that the most prominent form of injury for people on the river was flying fish related head injuries. Still makes me smile.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

That... is the most odd thing I've heard today. Wow.

There really isn't that much of a positive side... I mean "I got cracked in the face by a carp" isn't very epic, now is it?
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvias View Post
That... is the most odd thing I've heard today. Wow.

There really isn't that much of a positive side... I mean "I got cracked in the face by a carp" isn't very epic, now is it?
Round those parts, it isn't even uncommon.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote